• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Gold

L

Luckyjo

My Gold
Tough cunning, lithe of foot but shy am I
Like a hunted fox I race down the
entry onto the cobbled road.
Footsteps closer –panic fills my soul.
I trip and lose my grasp, it falls.
Milk, milk, disperses everywhere.
I loose my gold!

Soggy Wellies squelch as
I try to catch my breath.
Scaling the wall topped with broken glass,
Blood gushes from my knee.
My would be hunter yells over.
”I’ll get you wait and see”.
With a heavy heart I scurry home

The babbies crying, his feet are cold,
His nose is runny his ears are hurting.
The embers in the fire have almost died
I have no milk I’ve lost my gold.
An empty titty bottle I find to pacify his howl
He sucks loudly hungrily on his titty,
I steel away into the cold dark night air.

The corner shop is empty
the door is still ajar.
I jump the mat, no bell it rings,
I snatch the milk and bolt for home.
My heart feels good ………
My little brother has ceased to cry,
And I am pacified this night.

Joy what a brilliant poem, I had missed this to be honest with you. Having read your book it's really quite thought provoking reading your poem now. They were tough times

Thanks Rod for your kind words. Having reread it I realise just how deep the words are, and unless your a brummie and familiar with poverty you wouldn't have a dogs clue in hell what I was on about..! Joy

Well I have to say, I really liked it too..Gold comes in many forms, shapes or sizes..I mean we've probably all
used the expression 'it's worth more to me than gold'..
I loved it.

Only a daughter of a Brummie. But definitely familiar with poverty. Gold equals wealth. Wealth equals survival.
Here in Tasmania when I grew up I know my father agonised over providing me with schooling, clothing - food not so much of a problem as we grew a lot of vegies. Lots of people when I grew up here know where this poem is coming from. More than I would like to admit know about it now.

Sorry, I don't know your book - would certainly like to. Can't really express what I feel about your writing as it so hits the spot!! Confronting not only for people who are doing it tough - how about our native animals! The crossover from one to the other - I know I am expressing this very clumsily - sorry - but I know you will know where I am coming from. The predator is not always the hunter of the animal - the predator hunts us - oh b****r I'm not saying this the way I want. I'd better stop while I'm ahead :)
Many thanks for your poem.

Kate..kate..kate...Brummie is in the heart as much as the blood..you're one of us..I'm not born and Bred either...my place was Meriden..but I'm still Brummie..

Kandy - thanks. I can usually express myself a bit better than I have - but I was really affected by Joy's poem - for many reasons. Hugs.

Joy will there be any more? I notice a book mentioned here. Hope there will be some poems from a happier period in your life. Well done.

Back