• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Gold

L

Luckyjo

My Gold
Tough cunning, lithe of foot but shy am I
Like a hunted fox I race down the
entry onto the cobbled road.
Footsteps closer –panic fills my soul.
I trip and lose my grasp, it falls.
Milk, milk, disperses everywhere.
I loose my gold!

Soggy Wellies squelch as
I try to catch my breath.
Scaling the wall topped with broken glass,
Blood gushes from my knee.
My would be hunter yells over.
”I’ll get you wait and see”.
With a heavy heart I scurry home

The babbies crying, his feet are cold,
His nose is runny his ears are hurting.
The embers in the fire have almost died
I have no milk I’ve lost my gold.
An empty titty bottle I find to pacify his howl
He sucks loudly hungrily on his titty,
I steel away into the cold dark night air.

The corner shop is empty
the door is still ajar.
I jump the mat, no bell it rings,
I snatch the milk and bolt for home.
My heart feels good ………
My little brother has ceased to cry,
And I am pacified this night.

R

Rod

Joy what a brilliant poem, I had missed this to be honest with you. Having read your book it's really quite thought provoking reading your poem now. They were tough times

L

Luckyjo

Thanks Rod for your kind words. Having reread it I realise just how deep the words are, and unless your a brummie and familiar with poverty you wouldn't have a dogs clue in hell what I was on about..! Joy

K

Kandor

Well I have to say, I really liked it too..Gold comes in many forms, shapes or sizes..I mean we've probably all
used the expression 'it's worth more to me than gold'..
I loved it.

K

Kate

Only a daughter of a Brummie. But definitely familiar with poverty. Gold equals wealth. Wealth equals survival.
Here in Tasmania when I grew up I know my father agonised over providing me with schooling, clothing - food not so much of a problem as we grew a lot of vegies. Lots of people when I grew up here know where this poem is coming from. More than I would like to admit know about it now.

Sorry, I don't know your book - would certainly like to. Can't really express what I feel about your writing as it so hits the spot!! Confronting not only for people who are doing it tough - how about our native animals! The crossover from one to the other - I know I am expressing this very clumsily - sorry - but I know you will know where I am coming from. The predator is not always the hunter of the animal - the predator hunts us - oh b****r I'm not saying this the way I want. I'd better stop while I'm ahead :)
Many thanks for your poem.

K

Kandor

Kate..kate..kate...Brummie is in the heart as much as the blood..you're one of us..I'm not born and Bred either...my place was Meriden..but I'm still Brummie..

K

Kate

Kandy - thanks. I can usually express myself a bit better than I have - but I was really affected by Joy's poem - for many reasons. Hugs.

Rupert

master brummie
Joy will there be any more? I notice a book mentioned here. Hope there will be some poems from a happier period in your life. Well done.