• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Fathers Home

wilkesworld

master brummie
I have located this from the newly released Census (finally. It seems That the National Archives have done a deal with Find My Past for access to the 1921 Census). Costs £3.50 for a brief look.
Now, call me simple, but could somebody decipher this address for me please. Pointing it out on a map would be a bonus and much appreciated.

Many thanks.
John Wilkes

Attachments

• Address.png
    Address.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 52
I was there in the 1980s (I live in Norwich) and the Coop building was still there (and still is). Almost next door (which I believe is no more) was also a light industry factory which I was told was the local bathhouse. I did go inside to look and the outline of the pipes that carried the water was still there to be seen.
The only other thing that seemed to be original to my fathers time was a single Victorian lamp post (opposite what would have been The Birmingham Arms). My imagination conjured up visions of scruffy kids swinging from a piece of rope tied to it !

Many thanks for contacting me.
Like me you went for the easy bit.
It it the bit in front I am having difficulty with.
The Court and House number.

Have you tried matching the people with the ERs to see if that's clearer?

Many thanks for contacting me.
Like me you went for the easy bit.
It it the bit in front I am having difficulty with.
The Court and House number.
11 (ct) Court and House 4 - 4 and H look alike.
Sorry thought it was the street.
If Mike sees this he might be able to supply a map.

Last edited:
11 Court and House 4 - 4 and H lol alike.
Sorry thought it was the street.
If Mike sees this he might be able to supply a map.
Many thanks ! Getting a little longer in the tooth and the eyes atre not what they were. Been tracking my family down for some years now but now working on the social history. How did my dads family live ? What was life like for them? Dad never talked about it and the "little stories" are hard to pin down. His sister painted a picture of him sitting on the back stoop shelling peas. Sadly his generation has gone now I have to pick away at whatever I can find to put his life into shape.

That's 4, back of 4 right ?

Again many thanks
John

The courts are numbered and this house is number 4 and in court 11. Easier if we can get a map. Not all houses in the courts were "back of".
I was just saying it was badly written and hard to tell the 4 and H. I thought it said 44 to start with :D

it will be house no 4 that was in court no 11...if someone can supply a map it should become clearer

snap jan we posted at the same time

lyn

The courts are numbered and this house is number 4 and in court 11. Easier if we can get a map. Not all houses in the courts were "back of".
I was just saying it was badly written and hard to tell the 4 and H. I thought it said 44 to start with :D
Does this help?
Again I can't read the numbers. This getting old isn't much fun!

Attachments

• map1_1889_st_george_st_no_2_court_6.jpg
    map1_1889_st_george_st_no_2_court_6.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 21
it will be house no 4 that was in court no 11...if someone can supply a map it should become clearer

snap jan we posted at the same time

lyn
Does this help?
Again I can't read the numbers. This getting old isn't much fun!

Attachments

• map1_1889_st_george_st_no_2_court_6.jpg
    map1_1889_st_george_st_no_2_court_6.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 12
Thanks everybody.
This was from NWS who identifies the Court, Now just the house to do (wink-wink).
I truly appreciate your help !​

Attachments

• Ct 11 - St George's St.jpg
    Ct 11 - St George's St.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 5
Thanks everybody.
This was from NWS who identifies the Court, Now just the house to do (wink-wink).
I truly appreciate your help !​

Might just be guess work with the numbers. By the time of the 1950 map when there are numbers, all of the houses on St George's St are gone.

You would think that no 1 would be closest to the street and the entrance to the court which would make the houses on the left no's 1 to 4, 4 being bottom house on the left.

But no evidence for that, and other more knowledgeable members may have personal experience of courts to contradict that.

Many thanks for all the great information.
I'll take that as #4
As somebody once said " If I BELIEVE it is #4 then it's #4 (till somebody tells me differently).

Again thanks a lot !

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back