• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Fathers Army Record

brummie nick

master brummie
Yesterday I received my fathers WW1 army record, it makes fascinating reading, starting from him joining in 1911 till his discharge through wounds 1917, there was fourteen pages, including his application to join, also found out where the hospital he was in was, also his SWB number.
to say I'm 'over the moon' is an understatment. :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: Nick

that's great...pleased for you...because many were destroyed or damaged I found when resarching about my grandad...because of the WWII blitz :(

Hello Nick,
Can you give details of how you went about getting this document??? I would love to send for my grandfathers info...
does the document give D.O.B etc of your Father?? I think the only way for me to find my grandfathers D.O.B is to
try and obtain his documents.
Regards,
Margaret.

Hi Margaret, I'll PM you the details of the researcher that I used.

The DOB, hight, colour of eyes and hair are all given on the papers.

Cheers Nick

You are very lucky Nick. When I visited Kew in 2004 I was told only 1 in 3 records survived. I did manage to download a medal record from the National Archive Site though.

Back