• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

my family snaps

Is that one of those Mobo Horses ? While you sat on it and moved up and down its spring loaded legs moved it forward. Only rich kids had them then but I have seen a few in second hand? junk ? antique shops. But I am far to big for one . Stitcher's hypothetical dog would probably chase me down the street:D

Is that one of those Mobo Horses ? While you sat on it and moved up and down its spring loaded legs moved it forward. Only rich kids had them then but I have seen a few in second hand? junk ? antique shops. But I am far to big for one . Stitcher's hypothetical dog would probably chase me down the street:D

Arkrite that'S Muffin the Mule in Lewis's it was a dream to have your photo taken on him!

Lovely photo's Reg!

Arkrite that'S Muffin the Mule in Lewis's it was a dream to have your photo taken on him!

Lovely photo's Reg! Thanks Wendy, I can't remember if that was Christmas. I've got a vague memory of getting our pressie's off Father xmas. Just how a space theme and Muffin the Mule got to be in the grotto is beyond me.!!

what wondful family pics posted by you all:) reg the outside ones you have posted are typical of the time.... they are all to be treasured which im sure they are...

lyn

This is me with my favourite doll Susan in our garden in Four Oaks about 1960.:)

Wendy_aged_7~0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lyn. Sadly no Susan and most things went after Dad died. We moved into a flat and there was no room for a lot of our possessions.

My Aunt Lucy and Uncle Phil, 1930's in my Nans garden Broomhill Rd Perry Common. After marriage they lived in Hillingford Avenue, Pheasey in the part the US Army didn't get. In the early 50's they emigrated to South Africa. The buildings visible over the back fence are part of the old Hastings Rd School.

Attachments

• PerryCommon1930s.jpg
    PerryCommon1930s.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 159
My sister and me feeding pidgeons in our garden towards end of WW2. Looks like they allowed the keeping of pidgeons. Some of ours were 'tumblers' - couldn't seem to fly with out falling out of the sky....

Attachments

• In_the_Garden_feeding_Dads_Pidgeons.jpg
    In_the_Garden_feeding_Dads_Pidgeons.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 75
The first photo shows my sister and me taken at Jeromes Photo Studios in WW2. The second photo dated 1943 and taken in the same studio shows her future husband. They met and married in the 1950's. My brother-in-law is wearing 'Birmingham Mail Charity Boots' which I think were given out from the Steelhouse Lane offices.

Attachments

• Family_Photo__WW2.jpg
    Family_Photo__WW2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 226
  • Family_Photo_1943~0.jpg
    Family_Photo_1943~0.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
What lovely photo's Phil. Those posts look lethal in the photo feeding the pigeons. I have some photo's sat on the same bench in Jerome's.

Hi Jean,
I must admit I had not thought about the sharp fence posts, but we did not have health and safety back then, and we had such daft things as 'firecans' - I think the season is just starting....won't explain for younger forum members what they were....;)

I wonder if any other forum members have got photos with that Jerome's bench in them ?

Phil

Last edited:
Back