• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

My Dad's train washer.

W

Wendy

My Dad was an engineer for a company in Sparkhill named Smith Bros & Webb he developed an automatic train wash here are some photo's taken about 1965. The company is still going to today now in Alcester. I hope they are of some interest

Dads_train_washer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You may like to see this, Wendy, filmed in Ireland last year:

[video=youtube;hrysahiq3rU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrysahiq3rU[/video]

Lloyd that's an amazing film I can't believe the washers are still the same. My Dad din't get the chance to develop it more as he passed away in 1969. Thank you for posting that for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting the film Lloyd. Bought back memories of my Dad poring for hours over technical drawing's and wiring diagrams to fine tune his invention,to make sure it worked perfectly before presenting it to British Rail Bosses, He also developed the washer for buses, quite a few still dotted around the country. But sadly he never saw
it being used to its full potential as like Spitfire Mitchel he passed away never to see the many hundreds that were and are still being produced.

Hi John & Wendy,

I am Thrilled to have found both your postings about Smith Briths and Webb Ltd.
My names Oliver Alexander and i currently work at smith Bros & Webb Ltd, i was just wondering if i could pick both your brains for information and any pictures regarding smith bros history?
Its still family bussiness having been owned my 3 with my dad buying it from the bennett's around 2012.
Not allowed to post my email apologises, so to get in touch though our website and email sales or call the number provided and Ask for 'Oliver Alexander Click here for Smith Bros & Webb's website

If any of you fancy a coffee on me while i pick your brains for company history and other intresting facts, that would make my year.

I know with lockdown its doubtful to happenn, but if you see this at anytime, feel free to email me and scedule a chat, as id love to hear it all start to finish.

i have included a tram wash and rail install in Egypt, hope you guys enjoy.

Stay safe Guys and thanks for the company history lesson.

Not allowed to post my email apologises, so to get in touchclick the blue text and call or email us up.
Click here for Smith Bros & Webb's website

Attachments

• manchester tram.jpg
    manchester tram.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 8
  • egypt rail.jpg
    egypt rail.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Thanks you for posting on the forum. We strongly advise member not to post their personal email addresses on the forum. The data can be harvested and use for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects your privacy.

Thanks you for posting on the forum. We strongly advise member not to post their personal email addresses on the forum. The data can be harvested and use for scams, fraud and identity theft. If you wish other members to contact you, then its best if you advise them to use the “Start Conversation” facility we provide. This then protects your privacy.
My Bad

Back