• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Dad as an Evacuee

Debbie Rogers

Hi everyone!
I am intrigued by my father's evacuation during WW2. He was 3 when WW2 started and he, along with his twin brother were evacuated to Langley Mill in Derbyshire. My grandparents lived at Spring Hill on the 1939 register, but the children are all blacked out, so i can't see if my Dad was still with his parents at this time. 3 to me seems awfully young to be evacuated.
A brief history of my grandparents is that Dad was one of 7 children, 6 boys and 1 girl, their Surname is Frost. My Nan as my Dad called her was ' a good time girl ' and when the children where evacuated she wrote to all the families looking after her children and asked if they wanted to adopt them!!!!
One family took up the offer and my Dad's twin brother was adopted! Dad spent his time during the war in a children's home in Heanor, Langley Miil and then was sent home, to be then sent to St Francis School ( part of Monyhull Colony) where he stayed until he was 16. That is another story though. I suppose what I am asking is about being evacuated at such a young age or would Dad been older than he realised. And what school would he of gone to, if he went at the time of evacuation? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks a lot Debbie

Hi everyone!
I am intrigued by my father's evacuation during WW2. He was 3 when WW2 started and he, along with his twin brother were evacuated to Langley Mill in Derbyshire. My grandparents lived at Spring Hill on the 1939 register, but the children are all blacked out, so i can't see if my Dad was still with his parents at this time. 3 to me seems awfully young to be evacuated.
A brief history of my grandparents is that Dad was one of 7 children, 6 boys and 1 girl, their Surname is Frost. My Nan as my Dad called her was ' a good time girl ' and when the children where evacuated she wrote to all the families looking after her children and asked if they wanted to adopt them!!!!
One family took up the offer and my Dad's twin brother was adopted! Dad spent his time during the war in a children's home in Heanor, Langley Miil and then was sent home, to be then sent to St Francis School ( part of Monyhull Colony) where he stayed until he was 16. That is another story though. I suppose what I am asking is about being evacuated at such a young age or would Dad been older than he realised. And what school would he of gone to, if he went at the time of evacuation? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks a lot Debbie
Hi, you might find something interesting in the thread link below ... :)

There were instances where mothers and young children were evacuated.
I am pretty certain that my grandmother did not go with the children, this is why I think Dad was older than he thought.. He does have a memory of standing in a school hall and people coming in picking children, his brother was picked, but Dad wasn't.. this is when he was sent to a children's home! Its all very sad isnt it?

I was five I think or maybe not quite five because I can't remember the actual date we were evacuated (born 1935), we were sent to Ripley in Derbyshire, my brother was seven, there's a mention of it in one of my earlier posts.

I am pretty certain that my grandmother did not go with the children, this is why I think Dad was older than he thought.. He does have a memory of standing in a school hall and people coming in picking children, his brother was picked, but Dad wasn't.. this is when he was sent to a children's home! Its all very sad isnt it?

Hi Debbie,
My Dad and two of his brothers were evacuated aged 7, 5 and 3. My Grandmother, whose own mother had died in childbirth was not what you call maternal. She actually worked during the war, ( although there was also my other uncle who was a baby, goodness knows what she did with him! ) and by all accounts she dragged her feet when it was time to have her sons back home.
So your dad's memories were probably right, and a very sad story. Can't imagine it can you?
Lynn.

Back