• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MY CITY

Couldn't find the other spire, Jen. I did see something I recognised immediately - Big Brum, the Council House clock, just to the left and above the chapel spire.
Talking of binoculars, when I was a nipper we had an old pair, with originally with a kind of leatherette round the lens barrels, which was flaking off. They weren't much cop, but I used to keep them in my bedroom and would scan the Brummagem horizon for hours. Apart from the demolition and the hideous new buildings, it isn't the same scene that I remember today, because the trees have grown in the last 60 or 70 years. I'm sure the trees in the cemetery are taller, and the ones in nearby back gardens even more so.
If only I could have taken a picture like Aston's 50 years ago!
Peter

By the way thats the Sky Air Ship not a spot on my lens! :2funny:
Look at the rotunda you can see through it (IT WOULD NOT BE BRUM WITH OUT IT) O0

Now we have three spires in Aston's latest shot. One we know is the Mortuary Chapel in Witton Cemetery. Aston pointed out Aston Church just beyond Villa Park and I am now thinking the spire to the extreme left close to the building with scaffolding must be St. Martins.

Peter, I thought I could see the clock face on the Council House.

What in going on tonight in my city NIA ,THE REP, BROAD ST, all out of bounds due to a bomb scare, sniffer dog police, what is wrong with the world to day?
SO SAD, ASTON

Didn't realise you can still see through the Rotunda building. I thought it was almost fully glazed again when I was there last week.
Looking at that tower just to the left of it makes me wonder if it's not St Martin's, which would be lower down, below the Bull Ring, but the more jagged tower of St Thomas' church at the top of Holloway Head.
I'm sure that is Big Brum which you can see. From my bedroom you could see the tower of the University near Selly Oak, and the top of Frankley Beeches, Monument Hill on the Lickeys, Clent, Warley Hill and especially Turners Hill, which ran from Blackheath through to Dudley, then continuing to Sedgley Beacon.
Ah, those were the days!
Peter

Next week a Short stay in Brum on the Holiday Programme BBC1 O0

Nice picture Aston, the houses look like where we lived in Nothfield after we were married. O0

Especially if the windows and doors are painted black and white, as they used to be in Brum and the black Country. I was quite homesick today to see Harvey's brewery in Lewes, an elegant Victorian red-brick building with intricate wooden decoration painted black and white, just like home.
Peter

Back