• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

MY CITY

Yep, great picture, aston, and nice sentiment as well.
smiley.gif

ASTON, is it ok if I use your picture for my screensaver, please. :-\

NOTE, VILLA PARK JUST BEHIND THE TREES IN THE FORGROUND,MISS THE OLD FOODLIGHTS AS IT WAS EASYER TO SEE THEM FROM THE LOUNGE WINDOW, I HAVE TO GO IN TO THE BEDROOM TO SEE NOW.
I AM SO GLAD YOU ALL LIKE MY PIC,

Great photo Aston . Do you know what church the spire in the foreground belongs to?
Thanks

What a cracking photo Aston! Nothing like I remember 50-odd years ago from beyond the Ridgeway and Witton Cemetery, but times have changed, and you must be a bit closer in. On Jennyann's question, I guess the church can only be either Aston Parish Church or the Congregational place at Six Ways, which I believe is still standing.
I've copied your picture too. You did well there. Thank you very much.
Peter

I love it, Aston.  :smitten:

No matter how far away or how long it's been, there is a bit of Brum forever in your heart if you were born there.

Lovely picture Aston, amazing how close all the buildings seem. Beautiful clear sky perfect to show up the skyline. O0
We were trying to work out where they are. Is it the post office tower on Newhall Street on the right?
You should be proud of Birmingham, we were most impressed when we spent three days there in 2005. So many changes, we loved it and the people we met were great. :smitten: :smitten:

Yes Sakura that is the post office tower on the right in Newhall St, the pic was take from our bedroom window in New Oscott with my video camara photo card on 50x zoom.Then transffered it my computer for resizing & posting on this great site we have.
ALL THE BEST ASTON (Keith) O0

I hadn't realised your viewpoint was so far out. In that because the spire in the middle distrance can only be the elegant mortuary chapel in Witton Cemetery, and the flats in front of it the 1960s development where the allotments used to be between Witton Lakes and College Road. Your view is quite similar to what Jennyann had at Stockland Green - apart from the changes of course.
Peter

Spot on Peter, I think the flats are the ones in Faulkners Farm Estate by Witton Lakes ,which from my view point puts them between the trees and Witton Cemetery, making as you say the spire that of the mortuary chaple.

It's all about angles isn't it. I suspected it was the mortuary chapel in Witton Cemetery. I have now discovered on having another look at the photo that there is another church spire
far on the left hand side of the photo. Looks like Aston Church isn't in this photo so I don't think it's that.

Yes, Peter this photo of Aston's view from his window is a "close-up" view of the one I grew up with. The view has changed inasmuch as trees have grown up and the skyline has several additions. The Villa grounds have grown very much over the years. I often wish we had had a telescope or binoculars to look through our back bedroom window
We never thought of it and besides my parents would have thought we might try and look into people's windows!

Couldn't find the other spire, Jen. I did see something I recognised immediately - Big Brum, the Council House clock, just to the left and above the chapel spire.
Talking of binoculars, when I was a nipper we had an old pair, with originally with a kind of leatherette round the lens barrels, which was flaking off. They weren't much cop, but I used to keep them in my bedroom and would scan the Brummagem horizon for hours. Apart from the demolition and the hideous new buildings, it isn't the same scene that I remember today, because the trees have grown in the last 60 or 70 years. I'm sure the trees in the cemetery are taller, and the ones in nearby back gardens even more so.
If only I could have taken a picture like Aston's 50 years ago!
Peter

By the way thats the Sky Air Ship not a spot on my lens! :2funny:
Look at the rotunda you can see through it (IT WOULD NOT BE BRUM WITH OUT IT) O0

Now we have three spires in Aston's latest shot. One we know is the Mortuary Chapel in Witton Cemetery. Aston pointed out Aston Church just beyond Villa Park and I am now thinking the spire to the extreme left close to the building with scaffolding must be St. Martins.

Peter, I thought I could see the clock face on the Council House.

What in going on tonight in my city NIA ,THE REP, BROAD ST, all out of bounds due to a bomb scare, sniffer dog police, what is wrong with the world to day?
SO SAD, ASTON

Didn't realise you can still see through the Rotunda building. I thought it was almost fully glazed again when I was there last week.
Looking at that tower just to the left of it makes me wonder if it's not St Martin's, which would be lower down, below the Bull Ring, but the more jagged tower of St Thomas' church at the top of Holloway Head.
I'm sure that is Big Brum which you can see. From my bedroom you could see the tower of the University near Selly Oak, and the top of Frankley Beeches, Monument Hill on the Lickeys, Clent, Warley Hill and especially Turners Hill, which ran from Blackheath through to Dudley, then continuing to Sedgley Beacon.
Ah, those were the days!
Peter

Next week a Short stay in Brum on the Holiday Programme BBC1 O0

Nice picture Aston, the houses look like where we lived in Nothfield after we were married. O0

Back