• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

My Alerts Now Coming Over As E Mails

Elmdon Boy

master brummie
All of a sudden my normal forum alerts are being sent also as E mails?
Can anybody inform me why. Its only just started and I would rather they didn't.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks Janice.
I think most of you are more computer literate than me. But i'm getting better.
Just out of interest, how long are the alerts flagged up on the forum site before they disappear assuming you haven't read them.

I did not think they disappeared but am not certain. Soem people only rarely look in and if they disappeared if not read, then they might miss them

All of a sudden my normal forum alerts are being sent also as E mails?
Can anybody inform me why. Its only just started and I would rather they didn't.
Any help appreciated.[/QUOTE

hi elmdon boy i am just a bit curious as to how you usually receive your forum alerts if not via email which has always been the case since the forum started...lyn

Last edited:
Lyn - I assume Elmdon Boy would just see them when he logged in - flagged up in top right corner. As I did until Warren sorted it out.

ahh now i understand jan...because i have never had a problem with my alerts going through to my emails i have never been flaged up on the top right corner..

lyn

I've always had both, though a larger number from the top /RHC than from emails, ionly some of which come through. though it does not matter to me as a click on all new posts, though obviously do not read the ones on football

thanks jan i am ok with the emails...especially good to have if you are away for a couple of weeks or so at least i know when i get back what threads to have a look at:)

lyn

My alerts like variety. Sometimes they come into my inbox and sometimes my spam folder. They're always flagged up in the Alerts though.

Thanks all for your inputs.
Since I came on the forum nearly 2 years ago now I only had my alerts flagged up in top RH corner, so I was surprised when they started coming in as E mails as well.
I wasn't aware there was an option, so I assume that the no E mails was a default setting.
I can see the advantage of E mails if you are away from the forum for a long time and don't want to miss any whilst away, that's why I would like to no how long they stay flagged up for if away.
I wouldn't want to miss any of you lovely peoples inputs, if it appertains to something of interest to me.

Once the email goes into your email inbox it will be there until you delete it. Unless the forum has a ‘sent items’ box they are probably deleted after being sent. The forum appears to have a rolling list of 60 alerts. You can imagine if someone posts on a popular thread which is watched by many members, email alerts can go out by the truck load...:D

phil i have been away at times for 10 or more days and my email alerts are always waiting for me when i get back:) dont forget you will only get an email alert to a thread if you have made a post on that thread

lyn

Hi Lyn,

I presently have about 100 emails from the BHF in my inbox and delete them about once a week. I get them for any thread I watch. I think once you have posted on a thread it becomes a 'watched' thread. I think a thread can be 'unwatched'.

Sometimes members will not receive some emails because of this strange Xenforo rule ...
XenForo will only email notify you on the first new post/reply after the last one you read. Any additional ones will not show up with new email notifications until you visit the thread and read the latest post which appears to reset the email setting, so you will get an email with the next response.

With regards to alerts, if I click on the word 'Alert' and then 'Show All' I see two pages of 30 alerts. I rarely if ever look at this.

Phil

Back