• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

mussles

I remember fondly of Saturday mornings, looking foward to our Aunties and familys coming for tea. My mom always had a big pan of mussles cooking and they were lovely.mmmmmmm.Never had them since we lost mom over 20 years ago. Does anyone still cook these? Jackie

mussels

I eat mussels regularly, but I worry about cooking them. If anyone has any fail proof tips, it would be great to hear them.

My daughter cooks them, any that are open and won't close when you tap them sharply ought to be thrown away Sue.

Cook mussles in glass of white wine,chopped onion, and some parsley.

In cold water take off the beards any that stay open throw away.

Chuck em in the pan with said wine etc and boil for about 5 mins.

If you want to make a sauce out of the liquid just add cornflour .

tip the mussles out onto a plate any that are still closed chuck away.

Eat the rest .

The best time of year for mussels is Oct/Nov . dont bother any other time of the year .

My best tip is got to France they do great mussels there.

I love Mussels and buy them most Saturdays what a way to celebrate my 1000 post love you all :smitten:

Congratulations on your 1000th Alf. I buy mussels here in a jar with different flavours offered - lemon, chilli, garlic. They are very nice and no mess.

Congrats Alfie. :smitten:

Suffolk is a good place to buy fresh mussles isn't it Alf. We were in Norfolk this week, and our daughter had a huge plate for her lunch from that days catch. :)

We bought two kippers which I cooked for Brian, they were ENORMOUS, and very fresh and plump.

Sure is Di but our last Freash Fish Shop closed last year in Ipswich so its the Supermarket now :-\

That's a shame Alfie, in Norfolk there are still lots of people selling their catch. In one village every fish you can catch in the coastal waters is sold from a refrigerated shed :)

Kate said:
Congratulations on your 1000th Alf. I buy mussels here in a jar with different flavours offered - lemon, chilli, garlic. They are very nice and no mess.

K8 I get Mussels in Jars from time to time but I have to spend half my time pulling beards out of them and they are so small :-X

Hang on...hang on... Wot's all this 'bout 1000 posts then?...
AlfiesPosts.jpg

I only cook mussels in the summer when I take me shirt off in the sun. ^-^

The other ones (the ones from the Bull Ring fish market) I have regularly on a Saturday. Being macho I don't like them fiddled with too much so a couple of minutes in boiling water does the trick.
trink04.gif
I always think I've got a bonus when me teeth crunch on one of them little baby crabs that you sometimes find inside them. :buck2:

1000 posts it was and I've been robbed :tickedoff:

Someones trying to Mussel in on my patch :batman:

Dont ever rely on post counts lolol

I like mussles, but I'm frightened to death of em.........  My mom wouldnt have em in the house, she reckoned you could get some sort of condition called Musselitus? or something from them? Now to be honest I think it was either a nonsense she told us, because she couldn't afford them? or she truly believed it because she had been told it as a child. But I still worry that if I had one, I might get it? I wonder if its a real condition? Whatever the truth of it, it shows how powerful the words of your mother was huh?

Mom used to buy mussles from the fish market every saturday morning and would have em on the boil in the afternoon,yummy with loads of salt and vinigar :chef:

I was at one of the meat auctions the other week with my mom,i decided to try oysters,what a supprise i realy enjoyed them,well you would at £1.70 for 3.
Whelks, i love them too plenty of salt and vinigar,mind you the large chewy end bits hard going :argh:

Granddad Dad Uncle and me would go on Saturdays to the Fish Market by the Bull Ring and they had plates of Mussels cockels alive alive Ho. Little vinegar salt Yummy

Granddad Dad Uncle and me would go on Saturdays to the Fish Market by the Bull Ring and they had plates of Mussels cockels alive alive Ho. Little vinegar salt Yummy
I remember them little dishes of cockles. etc. loverly,:yum:yum I bought a 2 pound bag of whelks. and chewed some on the bus going home.

Back