• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MUSINGS

R

Robert Harrison

It is only when we have put our thoughts onto paper
And read what at times comes either by inspiration,
Where words come freely without the need for conscious
Thought. We realise that what we have is written is either
For ourselves or for some other who cares enough to
Understand what the written word has to say.
Instant understanding may not come at first reading,
For even the poet having written the words may have
The need to interpretation for his own writing. Words which
Come by inspiration may not at first reading be fully
Understood. It is therefore by inspiration that words
So given reveal their true meaning.
Not all understand the works of Keats or Coleridge, and
Why? Because of there symbolic meaning. What one reads
May not be what the poet means. What is written is lost
In the readers lack of understanding, for if what one reads
Does not have instant recognition, instant appeal it is passed
Over and a great source of knowledge is lost, discarded as
Being of no value.

I may write.

I saw her look at the lamb and noticed the joy in her face,
A joy that seemed to burst forth in unsung song.

Wordsworths writing.

Towards the lamb she looked; and from that shady place
I unobserved could see the workings of her face:
If nature to her tongue could measured numbers bring,
Thus, thought I, to her lamb that little Maid might sing.

Just food for thought.

Robert

I take it the Lamb is Jesus Christ? or perhaps I'm not reading the correct meaning into it?

As far as the "Great Poets" are concerned it's more a matter of connection? A lot of the work leaves me cold, I'm unable to identify with it. Maybe that shows me up for what I am , educated at a very basic level. If you have to be instructed in the understanding of what something means, does that say something about the poem or peice of work? I'm of a mind that believes it's ok to take whatever pleasure, or meaning from the reading of the words written by another?

Just a few of the many thoughts that float around the void that is my head :coolsmiley:

Thats why I never read the works of the so called "Greats" why say a load of Gobblygook when a point can be got over in a more simpler way ?
Like Art, great to some a load of rubbish to another

It is wonderful that we can be so honest with our comments on this Site. There is no pulling of punches, we are not afraid of saying what we feel is right. This is what I like about it. I took Wordsworth lines only as an example; and Rod they do not refer to Jesus but an actual lamb.

What I was trying to say was that I have read neally all of the poems submitted, and it would appear that some are written under inspiration and need to be studied to understand what the poet means. Some may be difficult, but in fairness to the author, interpretaion should be saught after. I do not believe in putting poems into the TO HARD BASKET. If one is satisfied to interpret a poem that will give satisfaction then so be it.

After I have posted a poem I sometimes ask myself, What was I suposed to be saying.

Thank you for your honest comments.

Robert

Its ok to be honest on this site provided you dont upset the webmaster Robert  O0  :2funny:

All the words in my so called poems are written when I'm inspired. Im not a person who can say today I'll write..... Odd words, moods, happenings in my daily life all inspire me to write, but setting aside a period to write isn't for me at least possible. I never work to a plan, the words come or don't. Is that then what a real poet is I wonder? someone who can say Today I shall write a poem?. Robert are you able to write in this fashion? Has your ability grown as youve written more and more, or is it do you think a natural ability, something you can just do? I forget more poetry than I actually ever get to write down, most of my inspirations are lost in the hectic happenings of my working day.

Enjoyed reading your comment Rod, and far be it for me to upset the Webmaster, that will never do. There might be a poem in the making there, though I am not prepatred to tackle it.

Like you I do not set a time for the sole purpose of writing. Sitting at the computer and waiting for inspiration is not the way to do it. Like you, a thought may come which I write down or I may see something or hear something that is worth expanding upon. I take out my notes and decide what I will build around the spoken word or what I have seen. The world is full of ideas for the poet to expand upon, some better than others. Some are dismissed without a second thought while others are retained in the mind to be built upon as the days goes by. Written and re written until an acceptable resultd is reached to your satisfaction, and hopefully to those who will read it.

I really do believe that all styles of poetry are worth reading, from the old Bards to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Regards

Robert

Robert its a good job we are all different as the World would be a boring place one mans meat is another mans poison

Not to prolong this to much further may I add two qotes that may satisfy most of us.

What purpose can music or any form of art serve if it does not speak in a language everyone
can understand.

Pablo Casals  - Cellist

Unquote

And

If poetry be a subject on which much time has not been bestowed, the judgement
may be erroneous, and that in many cases it necessarily will be so.

Author unknown

Unquote

Robert

Robert you have lost me, aint got a clue what you are talking about

I would say we have a good understanding of what we are trying to say to one another Robert, so maybe that means to the most part we are getting it right ;) ....... Although I did missunderstand about the reference to the Lamb :coolsmiley: I still believe it could be in the correct context though ::)

Perhaps the reader has to understand what he will. Maybe it's worse not to write than to worry about the reception. The audience here is kind and usually makes a positive remark or none at all. You must know that a communication can be of great value and a valued comment can enrich an otherwise ordinary day

Putting the "Great" Poets to one side for the moment. Surely the whole point of a poem has been lost if on reading it the meaning is not found and it is discarded.
A poem can be picture with words, a puzzle or anything you want it to be but like art, is a pile of old bricks art ? it is to some folk. The whole point of a poem has been lost if the meaning is not found on the first or second reading, its like burying a box in the garden telling them its there but they cannot find it and give up.
When I read a poem, I should get something from it, or see something which nine times out of ten I can
You can tell if the persons sad, ill, religious, happy or just wants to put something they have wrote into a rhyming way and once you know a persons style you know if you want to read his poems or not.
I know which doors to open and which door stays shut in the poetry section
The whole point of writing a poem has been lost if its been constructed in a complicated way that cannot be understood by the reader NOT THE ONE WHO WROTE IT
Years ago Pam Eyres (I think thats her name ) became famous and became the peoples poet, because she told how it was and did not try to confuse folk and best of all, you did not have to be Einstein to enjoy what she wrote.
I have read all of the Great Heart wrenching Poetry that came out of the Great War so have a lot of people but do folks know what the pieces quoted in Latin are or mean ? So it has been Lost. Which I find sad

I hold my hand up to misreading the meaning of poetry. I think this is also due to whats going on in the readers mind aswell as sometimes the author being cryptic with their words.

I love poetry that is simple funny and makes me want to read it over and over again and I equally, but in a different way like poetry that makes me think 'what is that about'

Sometimes with Art Poetry Books etc., I want 'simple' - other times I want to explore and work something out - even if I work it out wrong.

I love jane Austins writing - cus I love the phrases she uses and working out their meanings, and I love Dali - trying to work out the interations of all the subjects on his canvas - and as far as poetry is concerned - I have to admit I'm a huge fan of ...................................Dr Seuss

Ive not read any Dr Seuss.... I must have a look Sue but until you mentioned him I never heard of it, it must be the very sheltered life I lead.

I should like to thank Robert for starting this excellent topic, it reminds so much of those old "LOVE IS" quotes although this time it's "Poety Is" or even "Poets Are"

I dont ever think it's safe to assume how a poet feels when reading a poem they've written. Sometimes I try to write poems from other peoples points of view, anger, sadness and injustice is a great motivator of my thoughts, but it's not always my anger etc but the feelings of other people, usually after some outrage or other Ive seen on the news that triggers a line of thought.

I do feel as I tried to say before that its ok in my opinion to take from a poem something that wasnt necessarily a line of thought in the poets head...... Some poems can be quite abstract like art? so perhaps they might intentionally have a meaning that isnt focussed in a conventional way, Dali is a great example Sue although I cant say I understand what hes trying to say with his art, I do however like looking at his paintings. We each of us view the world in our own manner, and take from it very different things... The main thing is that you take something, some thought or emotion is triggered.

meant what I said, and I said what I meant.
An elephant's faithful, one hundred percent.

hortonhatches.gif

PS - speak to Pom nicely and she'll read some for ya ^-^

Subee I learn my kids to read with I like green eggs and ham....... Wonderful

Back