• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Music like it should be

Most of the songs and singers listed above I agree are music as it should be.
A lot of that music was around in the 1940's, there happens to be a big revival of that type of music.
I help organise 1940's evenings with live entertainment, where people come along dressed in 1940's attire and really enjoy themselves joining in the singing and dancing of the period..
Can't stand most of what is put out as music nowadays.

Ah that brings back memories of the music my parents used to enjoy. :angel:

Not at all Rupert. I love to listen to BBC Radio 2 shows when online as they play some great music on their shows. Thanks for posting Jim. A great mixture of songs.

Ah!! Postie, that was the music of my younger days around the 40's and 50's,( although I preferred Frankie Vaughns version of The Green Door). Do not like 'Pop' music of the 70's and onwards and have now acquired a taste foe Classical music, particularly vocal. I can remember when I was based in an outlandish place in West Africa called Takoradi on the Gold Coast in 1950, we had an old record player but the only records we had was a complete set of the Nut Cracker suite and the Andrew sisters singing 'Rum and Coco Cola (don't remember what was on the B side), 78's of course. We were there for 3 months and were unable to add to our 'collection' Eric

Last edited:
Well postie thats was a blast from the past, just spent an hour listening to some of the songs and memories have flooded back. In the 40s and 50s before we had tv, the wireless was on from morning till night so there was always the sound of music in the house. Ruby Murry was my dads favourite (is she still alive?) and everybody had to be quiet when she was on. Of course there were a lot of great singers and songs in those days the likes of Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Almartino Alma Cogan Perry Como, and lots more. One song i came across was iv'e got a lovely bunch of coconuts which reminds me of my early days at school. At the time if my memory serves me right there was a song called put another nickel in but that was not included in the list. I think i will spend a bit of time this weekend playing some more song of the list. Thanks Postie for the list and the memories.

Thanks for the link Postie, I saved it yesterday. (My Husband likes it too!).
I love Glenn Miller, and Acker Bilk, I wanted to play the clarinet but couldn't afford one....had to have a recorder instead!
I remember singing "Put another nickel in " when I was little!!
rosie.

Some of this stuff feels overly bland to me but then I'm younger than some of you - I was 3 when the fifties ended. Quite a bit of it is probably illegal in this country - anything post 1960 and they've got stuff from the 90s.
My mother used to irritate me at times by singing a different Billy Cotton theme (Three little men in a flying saucer...) . I was told that Acker Bilk was never interviewed because he used to swear like a trooper - the person that told me this said he was Acker's agent for a while. If I remember correctly "Put another nickel in" was the opening line to a song called "Music, Music, Music" https://www.allmusic.com/song/music-music-music-mt0005100532/lyrics

I watched a tv comercial last night, with an orangutan (lovely creatures) enjoying itself at a funfair & Nat King Cole singing "When i fall in love" An excellent comercial & a fantastic song. With so many cringeworthy ads on tv these days it was a joy to watch & listen to this one!

Another TV advert which I like with a lovely song which I can't recall at the moment is for an animal charity and shows a crowd of dogs and one finds its way to a house where he is welcomed with open arms.

Another TV advert which I like with a lovely song which I can't recall at the moment is for an animal charity and shows a crowd of dogs and one finds its way to a house where he is welcomed with open arms.

I think it`s called "I will survive"

Back