• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Music Hall Artiste - Rose Vernon

I think she was probably born 1872, her birth registration is Dec 1872, making the baptism possible.

The birth year being one out seems quite common on records. I sometimes suspect it's how the recorder must have asked the questions.

DoB are not on censuses. Transcriptions have DoB worked out from ages - which may not be accurate. The 1939 reg does have DoB but I know from my own Gran that dates were often given by "guesswork" . When my Grandad (her husband) died my Dad was horrified to find that the insurances and death cert had different years of birth recorded. I think it was quite common as there was no problem.
Nowadays it is important for all sorts of reasons and we don't understand their lack of accuracy back then.

Thank you both. I agree that the date of birth is most likely to be October 1872 rather than 1873. I think she usually went by 'Rose' and I've found a death in 1946 which fits the birth date of 1872 for a Rose E Jones. Probably too busy to arrange the baptism. My 2 x gt grandmother only baptised her sons and then did all the girls when her eldest daughter had a son. All done together at Bishop Ryder church.

Just putting these photos on for interest. I think Rose must have been in costume and these were promotional shots, if that's what they did in those days. She seems to be a little plumper in these photos so perhaps they are earlier ones.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 8
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    652.2 KB · Views: 7
Lady P,

I've managed to accrue 5 photos of Marie (Mary) Longmore during her career of arond 45 years, and certainly people do change, but the good looking stay good looking into old age. Here she is at ages of 25 and 64.

Maurice :cool:
prod_21611.jpg

146399.jpg

Back