• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Crimes : Birmingham murders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Patty,
Yes Margaret Reynolds was one of the Cannock chase victims. Think she came Whithead Road or Whitehead Street, but not that sure.
Dave

If it is the same murder we are all talking about it was just before a xmas because my aunt used to live in Cato st and we always went to hers xmas night. My dad was late coming up and he caught the No 8 bus on Aston cross. He had cut his face shaving and had some blood on his shirt, but they called him in for questioning because of the blood and someone must have reported it

Have just googled and it says that a Raymond Morris was charged with her muder and that of Christine Darby who'se bodies were discovered on Cannock Chase. Margaret did come from Aston so guess it would be the same one. Can't remember another round about that time. Jean.

Although it wasnt Aston there was the Ymca murder by Five Ways cant remember exactly but that was well publicised

The YWCA murder was of Stephanie Baird. It was a fluke they caught the perpertrator,Patrick Byrne.
A lot of ladies, due the horrific details of the case, walked in fear around Brum, at night, until he was caught.

Last edited:
THERE WHERE TWO GIRLS WORKING AT gOLDFAR WHILST i WAS THERE AND THEIR SISTER WAS MURDERED AT THAT TIME AND i THINK HER NAME WAS jOAN mARNEY. mIRIAM.

I will never forget the Stephany Baird murder due to the graffic details of how she was mutilated. Those memories will always stay with me. Jean.

margaret reynolds lived in clifton road aston. the 3 horific murders were known as the ABC murders

Now you've said that Jeoffry I remember them being known as the ABC murders. Can't remember why though. Jean.

i remember the police doing house to house calls when margaret reynolds dissapeared..also searching our back gardens in villa street...
it was all very sad....

astoness

I had a friend who was on the case of the cannock chase murders and his colleague had to leave the force because what he saw upset him so much

Spent nigh on twelve months on the Cannock murders. As I recall we had finally been sent back to squad details when Morris tried to abduct another girl, in same MO, but luckily she got away and we were reassembled.
He had come into the frame earlier but had been given a alibi.

Another murder, at about the same time, in 1961 was of a Jacqueline Thomas whose body was found on an allotment at Ward End. The alleged killer was arrested for the murder of a Sylvia Whitehouse of Small Heath in 1969. Sentenced to life for the latter murder he was finally charged with the Thomas killing in 2007 (Cold case review and DNA) He did not get a trial for it as he was already serving life for the 1969 case and it was decided, by the judge, that with the passage of time he would not get a fair trial.
Will.

The YWCA murder was of Stephanie Baird. It was a fluke they caught the perpetrator,Patrick Byrne.
A lot of ladies, due the horrific details of the case, walked in fear around Brum, at night, until he was caught.
The cousin of my first wife was staying at the hostel at the time and her mother was distraught. The police were giving out no information in case Stephanie was not the intended victim. MiL finally succeeded in persuading them to say it was not her niece.

No the YMCA in Wheeleys Road, Edgbaston.

"Stephanie Baird at Edgbaston in December 1959.
Description
Baird was murdered and decapitated at a YWCA (Young Women's Christian Association) hostel on Wheeleys Road".

Those Murders Was Different Ones Even Thou They Was Committed In Aston
Little Margret Lived InClifton Rd , And Not Tower Rd [ Ragga,] We Lived 3oo Yards From
Her House , Our Houses Was Searched Time And Time Again He Our Outer Houses And Toilets Some time TTwice A Day And It Was Seven Days Aweek , And She Went To White house Street School She Was A Little Fragile And Sweet Looking Girl I Actualy Seen This Morris Fellow Face To Face Myself ,You Would Not Had Thought He Was The Type , A Fresh Good Looking Bloke , ButThe Facts Are Facts Guilty ,

Victorian Aston seems to have been an interesting place! Does anyone know anything about the murder of Florence Clifford around September 1893? William Harris (also known as Haynes) was hanged at Warwick Gaol on 1st January 1894.

Not sure if she was one of mine or not as it was a pretty common name.

My husband had a book out of our local library, all about old crimes and murders in Birmingham. I have just asked him the title. His very helpful reply was 'I can see it. It had a reddish cover with black letters and a picture of someone having their throat cut'.
We'll see if we can find it again, and let you know the title.

Ann

Article here but you need to grab a free trial and run.

Aston Axe man hung

Article from:
Birmingham Mail
Article date:
December 29, 2005
More results for:
Aston Axe Murder - Florence Clifford

Copyright 2005 Birmingham Mail. Provided by ProQuest LLC.

In 1893 remorseless killer William Haynes was hanged for the brutal slaying of his wife in a case that became known as the Aston Axe Murder.
Florence Clifford was only a teenager when she thought she had found love and moved in with boyfriend Haynes.
But her mother's dire warnings about him soon came true and beatings became a daily occurrence.
She ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all, Ann - I think we must be married to the same man! I'll try typing that description into Amazon and see what happens!

I've got the book, if you want me to scan the page of the axe murder, let me know.

Last edited:
Funnily enough I said to him 'Oh great, I'll put that description into google then.' But we will see if we can find it again.
All the best
Ann

That would be brilliant - I do hope she doesn't turn out to be one of my lot! Naive question as it's my first day on here, do you email it to me or what?

Thanks in advance...

Hi Marie,

That is the book my husband was on about. No throats being cut. But that is the one. Great!.

All the best
Ann

I've just been looking at exactly the same book trying to find this murder. But have been unable to find details. What page are you look at?

Thanks. Jules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back