• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Murals in Birmingham

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Came across a list of postwar murals in the UK, compiled by Lynn Pearson, an architectural historian . Thought the ones listed in Birmingham might be of interest. The first two columns are the name of the artist. Not sure what the letters in two of the columns refer to, except I think that the O in the last column mean they have been destroyed

Postwar_Murals_in_birmingham_from_list_by_Lucy_Pearson.jpg

Interesting that there are/were so many. Some were obviously less valued if they were buried. You wonder if future generations uncover them, whether they'll attach the similar importance to uncovering Roman mosaics! I think not. I'm intrigued about the New Street Station restaurant. Don't remember that one. Viv.

I'd guess the single letters before the full description refer to the medium. The Ms seem to be mosaic. Ts might be Tile. If the list was in a book or some other form of print, it's probably worth looking at the beginning or end for a key. I don't suppose it's a complete list by any means. All of the entries there seem to be in or around the city centre.

Think the black and white photo below must be the Hockley Circus mural. I seem to remember it being designed as a climbing wall. Those kids are therefore fully entitled to scramble all over it!

I'd pass the Kenneth Budd mural in Old Square every day and never take much notice of it. Phyllis Nicklin captured it with some interesting light effects in the second photo below. Budd's studio was down here in London, so all his murals would have been transported to Birmingham - not an easy task given the size of some of them. His son still runs the business in Kent - mainly mosaics I think. Viv.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Remember this one in the Colmore Circus subway? It was a mural by Kenneth George Budd commemorating the work of Boulton, Watt and Murdoch. Mikes list in post #1 suggests it was left where it was when the Colmore Circus 'hole' was filled in. Viv.
image.jpeg

Hi viv again
On the subject of the murals in col more row there was one down in small brook under pass I believe
Do you know whether they was completely demolished or did they chipp them out one by one and stored
It would be interesting to know thanks again Alan,,Astonian,,,

I've been going through some of my Dads old photos and came across these. They would have both been taken around the same time and before 2007 when the roads around St Chads were redeveloped

Attachments

• mural 11.JPG
    mural 11.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Mural_21.JPG
    Mural_21.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 24
The Midland Bank could help to date the first one. And the Post & Mail building with its digital clock is just visible (centre). So that gives the earliest date for that photo of 1964. Think the building to the left was the Strathallen Hotel - opposite St Chads. I believe much of this has now gone - to me this was what modern Birmingham looked like when I left in the 1980s. Viv.

Another view (dated 1970) of the Old Square mural. I don’t remember it being so glossy and full of colour. I remember it being mostly a matt bronze/brown colour. This image really highlights the detail. Viv.

C53FB29B-6BDC-47F9-AFCC-DB6F937B956B.jpeg

Back