• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Munroe Ellen, lived as Wife to Thomas Dodds, then William Lawley

FamilyUnite

proper brummie kid
Hi,

I am interested in looking for information on my 3rd Great Grandmother Ellen Munroe. On census in she states she was born in 1836 in Birmingham, but I can not find any record of her, not even a marriage to the two men stated in the title, the only reason we know her surname is because of GRO records of her children (where Munroe spelling was the most common version).

Does anyone know about a Munroe family in Birmingham? (I hope I have used this forum correctly)

hello and welcome could we have a bit more info please...could i ask what was the census year you have found her on and who were the two men she married...

lyn

Hi,
She first appears on the 1861 census aged 25 as a second wife to Thomas Dodds, they are living in Erdington, Thomas is a Carpenter and she has no job, there are who children on there but only Susannah (1) is hers.

In 1871, she is 34 in Nechells, her husband Thomas has died and she is on census as a visitor to William Lawley (on this census as Lauby) with his sons and her youngest child Thomas Dodds.

The last census she appears on is the 1881 census, 45, she is now a wife to William Lawley and has her two youngest children with her, Emma (born Emily) Dodds and Thomas Dodds.

She dies a Ellen Lawley in 1890 in Aston.

ok thanks...so is it confirmation of her 2 marriages you are looking for

lyn

If that is possible, my family and I have been searching for a long time. I have no idea if she married before and married as a different name or Munroe spelt differently.

I am glad I found this form, even though I live in Birmingham I find that the records are very hard to find sometimes, such as baptisms and marriages. There is a few I can't find but Ellen is the biggest mystery in my family so wanted to start with her. Thank you I hope I am able to find some answers

Nothing jumps out unfortunately.

The closest I can see is an Emma Monro b1840 Bham the illegitimate daughter of Sarah. She appears on the 1841 & 1851 census and then disappears, Ellen appearing from 1861. Why Emma would change her name to Ellen though I don't know.

Can't see her daughter Emily/Emma on the 1861 census, it would be interesting to find her in the hope she was with relatives.

Nothing jumps out unfortunately.

The closest I can see is an Emma Monro b1840 Bham the illegitimate daughter of Sarah. She appears on the 1841 & 1851 census and then disappears, Ellen appearing from 1861. Why Emma would change her name to Ellen though I don't know.

Can't see her daughter Emily/Emma on the 1861 census, it would be interesting to find her in the hope she was with relatives.

That was my hope too started looking for her with her fathers family but no look yet, Susannah died aged 6 I believe so can't even use her. For two marriages to not appear is odd, and she must of married to be buried as Lawley.

She doesn't have to have been married. You can be buried by whatever name is on the death cert. Any census or certificate is only as good as the information given by the informant.
Have you sent for her death cert to see if it sheds any light on her name(s)? I have one which gives a name but also adds "also known as ....." giving me a different name.

i agree jan...i have someone on the 1911 census...she says she has been married for 5 years to the man she was living with but there is no sign at all of them every marrying...she is buried under the mans surname...my own gt nan on the 1911 census states she has been married for 10 years and had 4 children on the census but in fact they had only been married since 1910 (i have their marriage cert)...back then a lot of little white lies were told to save face...:rolleyes:

lyn

I have her death certificate, only states Lawley. I have never seen death certificates states other names personally. Only seen one appear once in a birth certificate for a different person but about of their 5 children only one had "previously known as" so I guess its pot luck.

I can understand her living as a wife and not actually being married for one of the 'marriages' but both is surprising. I would like to know her family, so far not found anything though DNA either :(

Sarah Adderley married William MONRO in 1837.William was a tailor.
Their daughter Emma Catherine MUNROE was baptised on January 4th 1842 St Martins
there were also baptisms of 4 Adderley adults on the same day parents Richard and Louisa.
The address of both families Duddeston Row where Sarah is living with her parents in 1841.
William MONRO died in 3rd qtr 1840 Aston
Sarah Monro father Richard Adderley m Charles Richardson
29th july 1849 St Bartholomews.
I thought that Emma Monro may have changed her name to Richardson
but there are no Richardson marriages to Dodds or Lawley.

Sarah Adderley married William MONRO in 1837.William was a tailor.
Their daughter Emma Catherine MUNROE was baptised on January 4th 1842 St Martins
there were also baptisms of 4 Adderley adults on the same day parents Richard and Louisa.
The address of both families Duddeston Row where Sarah is living with her parents in 1841.
William MONRO died in 3rd qtr 1840 Aston
Sarah Monro father Richard Adderley m Charles Richardson
29th july 1849 St Bartholomews.
I thought that Emma Monro may have changed her name to Richardson
but there are no Richardson marriages to Dodds or Lawley.

Thank you, I'll look into this. Sorry for the delayed reply :)

Back