• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Munitions made by schoolboys

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Imagine how proud these technical school boys must have been to be making munitions for the war effort in 1940. Source: British Newspaper Archive. Viv.

46CBB714-4BDB-42E9-820C-A516DAD7D4F8.jpeg

Pete,

When your country is at war, everyone (except for a few alleged conscientious objectors) gets stuck in to help that lads that are fighting at the sharp end, and to bring the war to a successful conclusion. This has nothing to do with politics, unions, or the Factories Act. Would we get the same devotion to duty if such a situation arose today, 80 years later? I somehow doubt it.

Maurice. :cool:

I wondered if any of our members or their relations were involved in this at school ? If so, what parts were you making ? I also wondered if th3 schools were linked to a factory too ? Viv.

Viv,

In 1940 I hadn't even started infants school and I'll be 84 in a few days. I think we have one member that is 93, but you'll be lucky to find anyone who has any detail! :)

Pedro,

I couldn't agree more and operating in somewhat hazardous conditions.

Maurice :cool:

as says in vivs newspaper cutting the boys were helping to make munitions parts they were not involved in filling them with the explosive powder unlike during ww1 where it was mainly very young girls and ladies taking on this dangerous job while most of our men were fighting on the front..thanks viv this is something i did not know about...

lyn

Anyone know what Tech. schools were involved. I started at Handsworth Tech early 1945 but didn't here of anything like this that had taken place

Back