• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mum & Dad somewhere in Aston

At the moment I can't see that it was near a social club or similar. Houses opposite Mists garage. where did they live when first married?
I think there might have been a pub on the corner of Soho Hill and Hamstead Road but struggling for a name at the moment. However, I think that was on the same side as Mist's Garage.
Janice, it was very close to Mists, as I recall right at the apex of the two roads. Around the corner on Soho was a PDSA.

1955 phone book has Seal and Butler at 152 Soho Hill.
Geo Webb and Son in same phone book but just says Soho Hill.
Thanks so much for everyone for their help. My parents were married on 1 January 1955 so that gives a date for the photo. Checking on Google Maps I can see the area has changed so much since that date!

I appreciate your idea it is in Aston Lyn but ....The only address given for Mist's Garage both before and after 1955 is 1 Hamstead Road although as MWS points out in post #6 they also seem to have a frontage on Soho Hill. I think it was being suggested that the Roebuck might have been the venue for a reception. Perhaps Sue can tell us if she knows where her parents held their reception?
Thanks Janice. Unfortunately my father is no longer alive and mum is 89. I can ask her, but I don't know if she will remember. I have all of mum's wedding pictures with lots of pictures outside the church too. I've actually found a picture in the reception place. You can see the windows but it probably doesn't help much. They are such beautiful photos and I love looking at them, remembering they had a wonderful life together and gave up everything to start a new life here in Australia. The funny thing is, mum still calls England home even though she had never gone back. I guess, going through the war as children and other tragedies, they wanted a new life. I've looked on Google and yes it looks like that corner but I wonder what building is or was on the other side opposite as I presume the first picture was taken outside a reception centre? Actually looking at Google, and the shape of the window in the background, I wonder if it's the building on the corner of Charleville Road (above the convenience store)?
IMG_0300%20%28FangBox%27s%20conflicted%20copy%202014-09-24%29.jpg

Are we sure that it says Mist's Garage on the first photo, it's a bit unclear, could it be something similar, maybe Best's, I can see that there's also a Ford sign on the frontage

Are we sure that it says Mist's Garage on the first photo, it's a bit unclear, could it be something similar, maybe Best's, I can see that there's also a Ford sign on the frontage
I am now beginning to wonder the same thing.
I think Mist's did sell Ford but need to check the ads I saw. However, so did lots of other places.

Update:
Haven't found an ad for Ford but that doesn't mean they did not service them. If this is the Hamstead Road entrance it must be to the workshops and the showroom (as in Lyn's photo) is on Soho Hill.

Last edited:
One thing bothers me - in the photo they are standing by a road sign. It appears to indicate a "bend" but on all the maps I have seen Hamstead Road is straight.
Janice, if you were on Hamstead going toward Soho, at that intersection you would BEND left toward Hockley or a turn to the right up Soho would be less than 90 degrees. Does that make sense? I hope I’m not confusing!

Richard - you may be right. I understand what you are saying.
I don't know the area but looking at the maps it looked to me like a junction where you stopped and either turned right or left - not a bend. To me a bend implies the road you are on bends and you hve right of way. Was the end of Hamstead Road not a major junction with Soho Hill?

Richard - you may be right. I understand what you are saying.
I don't know the area but looking at the maps it looked to me like a junction where you stopped and either turned right or left - not a bend. To me a bend implies the road you are on bends and you hve right of way. Was the end of Hamstead Road not a major junction with Soho Hill?
Yes it was a major intersection, you are correct. I would also agree with your comment regarding right of way. That intersect was always difficult.

Trouble is once you think it says "Mist's" that is all you can make of it. I tried a Kelly's garage search for similar names but didn't spot anything. Hamstead Road would be near where they lived after they married (Holte Road) but I wondered if it was near where they lived before ie Aston. Sue hasn't gven us a name so can't go down that route.
Lyn thought she had a photo of the Hamstead Road garage - think we need her to find that of possible.

jan i still cant find that photo of mists on hamstead road and i am not sure it would help anyway but from memory back then it was a glass fronted car showroom as was the one around the corner on soho hill...i think this used to be the one on hamstead road just up from the roebuck but hopefully some of our other members can confirm..maybe sue could ask her mom if she can remember exactly where in aston the photo on post 1 was taken and where the wedding reception was held...

Sue says in post #29 that at 89 she is not sure her Mom would remember.
That entrance to Mist's looks as if it leads to a workshop or service yard whereas the Soho Hill one seems to be the showroom.
I can't find any other address.

Last edited:
You're right Janice that used to be the workshop entrance, I remember going in there for something back then.
eric how long ago was that because i can definately remember the one on hamstead road being glass fronted with cars on show..see my post 35

lyn

Well I worked in Villa Street from 1951 until 1958 so sometime around that time Lyn I'm sure there was a showroom on both sides of the site the main one on Soho Road and a smaller one alongside the workshop entrance in Hampstead Road.

In the photo it does look as if there might be a glass fronted "shop" to the left of the "workshop" entrance.
That still leaves us with the question where were they standing outside?
The Roebuck referred to earlier would have been on the same side as the garage but further left.
Road sign still puzzles me.

Back