• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mum & Dad somewhere in Aston

Sue Bolvary

Aussie daughter of Brummie parents
This is a picture of my parents in Aston, Birmingham in 1955 when they married. Don't know the street though. They were married at the Aston Parish Church, not far from Aston Hall. Mum still living here in Australia.
IMG_0299.jpg

nice photo sue...looks like the sign says mists garage and i can make out 2 esso and ford signs....maybe someone could do a kellys directory look up for you to find a location..maybe it is taken in the street or road where they lived or maybe outside a social club or venue for celebrations

lyn

Last edited:
At the moment I can't see that it was near a social club or similar. Houses opposite Mists garage. where did they live when first married?
I think there might have been a pub on the corner of Soho Hill and Hamstead Road but struggling for a name at the moment. However, I think that was on the same side as Mist's Garage.

Last edited:
This is the 1950 map. Garage appears to have a frontage on both Hamstead Road and Soho Hill. Does the angle of the photo make it more likely to be taken on Soho Hill?

Mist's.jpg

I used to have lunch in a cafe on the corner of Charleville Road almost opposite Mist's at around that time, the house opposite (in Charleville) had window right up high near the roof where the old biddy who lived there used to have a no parking sign and used to come down and shout at any motorist who dared to park there. :)
Looking at Google Earth that house is still there, Mist's, I think, is now a tyre shop.

wherever the mists garage was that we in the photograph it certainly looks like a street in aston..on another thread sue say that her parents lived at no 30 holte road aston..

lyn

At the moment I can't see that it was near a social club or similar. Houses opposite Mists garage. where did they live when first married?
I think there might have been a pub on the corner of Soho Hill and Hamstead Road but struggling for a name at the moment. However, I think that was on the same side as Mist's Garage.
Further along Hamstead road, on the corner Soho Hill/Hamstead rd was the Roebuck Public House, 130 Soho Hill.

think we need to get back on track folks which is identifying the street showing in sues photo...the clues are there..we have the name of the garage..the year the photo was taken..the wedding took place at aston parish church..sues parents lived in holte road so i dont think the photo was taken very far from there.maybe mists garage was not in use in 1955 so a kellys look up for 1950 for the aston area may be an idea..

lyn.

I appreciate your idea it is in Aston Lyn but ....The only address given for Mist's Garage both before and after 1955 is 1 Hamstead Road although as MWS points out in post #6 they also seem to have a frontage on Soho Hill. I think it was being suggested that the Roebuck might have been the venue for a reception. Perhaps Sue can tell us if she knows where her parents held their reception?

yes jan its a funny one is this...i remember mists on hamstead road and soho hill very well...and yes the roebuck could well have been a venue for the wedding reception although a bit of a drive out from aston parish church...as you say maybe sue could ask her mom where the reception was held...the caption on this says mists hamstead road which was its official address but this looks more to me as though its the frontage on soho hill..maybe someone could confirm mists garage hampstead road.JPG

In later phone books the Soho frontage was a car sales place so that could be Soho Hill - does it have a date?

jan i think it lays too far back to be hamstead road ..no date but looking at the cars in the showroom i would say the 50s...if you could check the names of the 2 firms to the left in kellys that would tell us the location...

lyn

Back