• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mrs Paynes...the Chippie

K

Kandor

Ok..I may have spelled her name wrong, but I seem to remember a Chip shop run by Mrs Payne in Gt Francis St, between Pitney St and Newdegate St...I only have to close my eyes and I can still smell them..
Chips were 4d a bag wrapped up in old newspaper..the only drawback being Nechells, was if there was 3 people in front of you, you had to wait 2 hours while they cooked 200 bags of chips.
I also remember Harry Poultons (The Old Soldier), Higgins' hardware on the corner of Cromwell St and Lister...both moved up to Revesby Walk in Nechells, there was a fabulous chocolate shop opposite the Royal Oak in Lister St, I remember Roses' the Greenrocers in Willis st, and does anyone remember the public baths in Willis St and Francis St...I remember, we'd go there every saturday..(whether we needed a bath or not) and a bloke with a big funny shaped key would fill the bath for you...he never seemed to get it right and I either froze or came out like a lobster..
These were the days when people shopped in little corner places, My family always seemed to do their shopping in the 'book'...never having any money, we'd go into the shop, buy a few groceries and ask the Shopowner to put it in the 'Book' and we'd pay on Friday when my Dad got his wages.
The times the bugger humiliated me by all of a sudden serving someone else in front of me who was paying cash..He also hated us shopping elsewhere as he no doubt felt he was doing us a huge favour in extending credit...I hated it...as soon as we paid on Friday, we were broke and the cycle began all over again..

:D Kandor, the chocolate shop, was that the same shop on Gt Lester St that also sold Hoky-Poky in bags (or troach drops) and Candy Floss on sticks? I use to like watching that big round tub spin, while the lady held a stick in the centre and when it stopped she had a Great big cotton candy on the stick. I delivered papers for old Mr Harbon, his shop was just a little past the Candy Shop, his daughter and her Ma-in-Law (Two) Mrs Bennett's also worked in the shop :).
And yes I also went to the Fish shop you mention and somewhere close was a shop that two old ladies ran . They moved on to the Kellet Rd shops and became Macey's, Peddley the paper shop also moved to Kellet Rd . They had a son name Charlie who was a bit of a 'Rogue', I have been told that he was killed in a car crash a few years ago. :(

Chocolate shop

Hi Pom.. yes it was! my God, you've taken me back years thinking about that spinning candyfloss machine..I remember Peddleys too, my brother (Robert Robinson) had a paper round there for a while...around 1963 I think..And Pom?...my name is Les...nice to meet you and have a lovely evening..

Back