• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mr Ryan's Amphitheatre of "Chaste & Scientific Entertainment"

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reading of Napoleon III in the Midlands during his exile, I came across the piece below. Mr Ryan is not mentioned in the 1839 Wrightsons or 1841 Pigotts directory, and there is no mention of his establishment on the 1839 map.
Showell's dictionary of birmingham states:
In 1815 Messrs. Adams gave performances in a "new equestrian circus on the Moat," and it has interest in the fact that this was the first appearance locally of Mr. Ryan, a young Irishman, then described as "indisputably the first tight-rope dancer in the world of his age." Mr. Ryan, a few years later, started a circus on his own account, and after a few years of tent performances, which put money in his pocket, ventured on the speculation of building a permanent structure in Bradford-street, opening his "New Grand Arena" there in 1827. Unfortunately, this proved a failure, and poor Ryan went to the wall. The circus (known now as the Circus Chapel), long lay empty, but was again re-opened May 19, 1838, as an amphitheatre, but not successfully.........
. In 1842, Ducrow's famous troupe came, and once again opened Ryan's Circus in the Easter week, and that was the last time the building was used for the purpose it was originally erected for. Cooke's, Hengler's, Newsome's, and Sanger's periodical visits are matters of modern date. The new building erected by Mr. W.R. Inshaw, at foot of Snow Hill, for the purposes of a Concert Hall, will be adaptable as a Circus.

Has anyone come across anything else about him or his amphitheatre?
Mike

napoleon_in_midlands.jpg

Ryan also had an amphitheatre in Bristol. My Great, Great Grandmother's first husband, Alexander Longmore, was a scene painter there and probably also at the Birmingham one. Alexander hailed from Birmingham and was living there at the time of the 1841 census. An 1839 advertisement for “Ryan’s Royal Amphitheatre”, North Street, Bristol, proclaims that
‘… The decorations have been painted by Mr Longmore and assistants…’ and that ‘… The new Act Drop is a vivid representation of Napoleon at Waterloo, painted entirely by Mr Longmore …’ (Bristol Times and Mirror 20th July 1839)

Rossylass,

I think that we know each other. Are you referring to Alexander who married Eleanor Swainson? And if so, do you yet have a baptism date and place for his father, also Alexander?

Maurice :cool:

Hi Maurice,
We certainly do know each other and I hope you are well! Yes, that Alexander! To be honest I haven't looked his father up and all the info I have about the Longmore /Paget elements of the family are from you.

Rosie x

Hi Rosie,

Yes, still going strong & I hope your family are too. Alexander senior was probably born about 1780, but so far I can't find a christening anywhere. I was hoping to find it in the Darlaston area, as that would link him into my branch, but no luck so far and certainly not in Birmingham. One day perhaps!

Maurice x

I was hoping that there might lave been a link between Alexander Longmore, the scenery painter, and the Panorama of the Battle of Waterloo near the Lion's Mound at Waterloo. but on checking the latter was not built until 1911 and the images were the work of a French painter.

Maurice

May be of interest. Some more about the amphitheatre from 1830 until 1838, so filling in some gaps of Mike’s first post on this thread. . Viv.

Attachments

• 79056FDD-181F-4533-A8AB-A64AD5B3BF51.jpeg
    79056FDD-181F-4533-A8AB-A64AD5B3BF51.jpeg
    136 KB · Views: 13
  • DAA617B1-08DF-458D-ABA8-E8EC6C59D59D.jpeg
    DAA617B1-08DF-458D-ABA8-E8EC6C59D59D.jpeg
    553.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 84FC0B39-D780-4EAE-B8DD-8B79AE775631.jpeg
    84FC0B39-D780-4EAE-B8DD-8B79AE775631.jpeg
    618.4 KB · Views: 11
  • BBC61286-0088-498B-8806-C7BE3086E365.jpeg
    BBC61286-0088-498B-8806-C7BE3086E365.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 276AAEE1-3500-4A49-996C-A70EBF39BD8F.jpeg
    276AAEE1-3500-4A49-996C-A70EBF39BD8F.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 11
May be of interest. Some more about the amphitheatre from 1830 until 1838, so filling in some gaps of Mike’s first post on this thread. . Viv.
I see from the last cutting (December 1838), that Mr Longmore painted the scenery on the front of the boxes and the gallery.
Would you kindly tell me from which newspaper this cutting came and the date of publication?

Welcome Rossylass. Afraid I can’t remember the publication, but probably Aris’s Birmingham Gazette (or Birmingham Gazette). Viv.

Just found this information about James Ryan and his entertainments..
Effectively, although Ryan and semi permanent bases in Birmingham, Sheffield and Bristol, his was a travelling circus which was closely allied with fairs. There is evidence that Alexander Longmore, my gg grandmother's first Husband, travelled with Ryan and that my gg grandmother accompanied him. She was an actress who came from Liverpool and she would probably have taken part in the performances.

Ryan was in Birmingham at the Whitsuntide Fair in June 1841
This is a screenshot from The Birmingham Journal of 5th June
1589814790491.png

I just wish there were pictures. I'd really like to see the most splendid & beautiful horses in the universe!

Back