• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mr Erskin's shop in Alum Rock

el-stano

Ex-lurker
Hi All!
Having followed the discussions about the Forum's direction/content, here's an attempt to start a historical-type thread.
I was born in Foxton Road, Alum Rock in 1948. We moved away when I was about 7. One abiding memory is of an old chap called - I think - Mr Erskin (or possibly Hiskin). There may even have been two brothers. They had a sort of hardware shop although the only product I can remember is paraffin. There also might have been I pavement petrol pump. It would have been perhaps the third or fourth shop along Alum Rock Road from the Foxton Road corner and the snooker hall (i.e. towards the pub). One reason I remember this is the fact that their garden ran all the way from behind the shop on Alum Rock Road, at right-angles to the back gardens of Foxton Road as far as number 27 and parallel with the Brook (a foul stream from which Brookhill Road and the pub got there names, presumably). We lived at number 29 so our garden was longer by the width of Erskin's garden, as were those of the houses beyond ours.
From Google Earth it appears that the garden remains. I remember lots of trees and there seem to be even more now.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has memories of the shop and perhaps can fill in some details for me.
Cheers,
Stan

Just the sort of post we like to read Stan. Something with a bit of nostalgia in it. Hope you get more replies.
Lynda

el-stano

The shop you are talking about would have been at 470 Alum Rock rd and would have S.A. & M.S. Hiskins, Garage Proprietors, incidentally at the post office next door at 472 the sub postmaster was M.S.Hiskins.

Phil

Thanks Phil.
Now I think about it, of course I'm remembering " 'iskins ". We are Brummies after all ;-)
I don't even remember a post office, but I was very young!
Stan

Just remembered something else. The garage and the proprietor were referred to locally as "M'dears" and "M'dear" respectively, 'cos that's how he always addressed everyone. All I need to remember now is what I had for lunch an hour ago :-(
Stan

There also might have been I pavement petrol pump.Quote.

el-stano this has jogged my memory i,m sure you are right about this. Dek

Hi
My wife and myself lived in Foxton Road At no 63 & 57 we left in 1967 when we where married.Th Brothers you refer to were Hiskin Bros the shop you remember was next to the snooker and dance hall. The shops started at Foxton Road and were Spencers greengrocer,Kingston Butchers ,Jack Reeds radios,The photographers.The snooker hall with Mayo,s green grocers and Sam Riley gents outfitters beneath.Next was Hiskins Hardware with petrol pump outside with a long arm so as to reach the road,nect was the post office run by the other brother Hiskin,The co-op Bakers,Co-op groceries and at the end Co-op Buthchers.The garden you rember belong to the brothers along with all th sheds and garages. Hope this helps

A couple of photos from Alum Rock.

1st one is Alum Rock Road 1931 and 2nd is Belchers Lane Alum Rock 1925

Alum Rock Road.jpgAlum Rock Belchers Lane.jpg

Hi All!
Having followed the discussions about the Forum's direction/content, here's an attempt to start a historical-type thread.
I was born in Foxton Road, Alum Rock in 1948. We moved away when I was about 7. One abiding memory is of an old chap called - I think - Mr Erskin (or possibly Hiskin). There may even have been two brothers. They had a sort of hardware shop although the only product I can remember is paraffin. There also might have been I pavement petrol pump. It would have been perhaps the third or fourth shop along Alum Rock Road from the Foxton Road corner and the snooker hall (i.e. towards the pub). One reason I remember this is the fact that their garden ran all the way from behind the shop on Alum Rock Road, at right-angles to the back gardens of Foxton Road as far as number 27 and parallel with the Brook (a foul stream from which Brookhill Road and the pub got there names, presumably). We lived at number 29 so our garden was longer by the width of Erskin's garden, as were those of the houses beyond ours.
From Google Earth it appears that the garden remains. I remember lots of trees and there seem to be even more now.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has memories of the shop and perhaps can fill in some details for me.
Cheers,
Stan
Hi Stan
I was looking for some pictures of my Grandfathers shop in Alum Rock and saw your comments.
My grandad was H.B. Mayo. The garage owner was Mr Hiskin the next shop to the right was a post office run by his brother Monty. Then the cake shop, Co-op and butchers.
I worked for my grandad from the early age of 11 until he retired. I did the market, worked in the shop and we had a horse and cart from which we had a "round" also selling greengrocery. I have a picture on my wall in Bournemouth, where l live, of myself my grandfather and the horse "Billy". If you are still doing this please let me know and l will send you a photo.
Best wishes
Bob Coombs

Hi Robert (Bob) Coombs
I was so pleased to read your story about the greengrocer shop in alum rock. I grew up in pelham road in 1960 my Nan was Lily Mayo she had a brother called Hardy burns Mayo he had the greengrocers by the Brook Hill pub infact by the snooker Hall which was also Jeannie Johnson dancing school there was the coop also Southall factory I was told Hardy burns mayo was known as (Jack) mayo the greengrocer I was told he had a horse & cart aswell and was well liked. He had a daughter called violet who I used to visit in Farndon Road my dad's cousin. I used to shop at Shaw Hill Rd stores and visit ward end park and Brook Hill stores shop. I used to collect paraffin from a garage not far from Brook Hill pub for my dad's heaters.
I have memories of all shops around pelham area.
Regards.
Eileen.

Hello Eileen
Welcome to the forum, unfortunately Robert (Bob) Coombs only stayed with the forum about a week and hasn't been with us again since August 2019. Don't let that put you off, there are plenty of helpful & knowledgeable embers who come here regularly. We are always interested in history around brum. When did you leave the Alum Rock area? Rob

Hello Eileen
Welcome to the forum, unfortunately Robert (Bob) Coombs only stayed with the forum about a week and hasn't been with us again since August 2019. Don't let that put you off, there are plenty of helpful & knowledgeable embers who come here regularly. We are always interested in history around brum. When did you leave the Alum Rock area? Rob

Hi Rob thanks for your reply.
Bob Coombs grandad H. B. MAYO and my nan Lily mayo are actually brother and sister so it was nice to hear he has a photo of his horse and cart. I was hoping to hear more stories. I left alum rock pelham rd in 2004 once my father passed but had happy memories there. We had proper shops in 1960s and 70s. Hawtins record shop was my local . Hunts of ward end haberdashery.
Fred parkin shop A. J. SALTS food shop Dewhurst butchers. Mortons greengrocers. Coop butcher and grocers outside 14. 55 bus stop. Municipal bank end belchers Lane.
Highways newsagents . Dunns chip shop. Charles Bragg bakery . Huins shoe shop. The wash tub launderette next to capital cinema. Ward end park was the best I went to nursery school there . We had a boating lake . Tennis courts a bowling green a bandstand. Greenhouses growing real bananas. Cricket been played happy days. Also a off licence and sweet shop owned by the lyons family in woodwells Rd. He sold anything and everything. The capital cinema and the Beaufort was our second home.
HAPPY DAYS.
Regards Eileen.

Back