• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moving to Birmingham 1900's

Vic

knowlegable brummie
Really strange question, but its been in my head for years, so I'll ask to see if I can conclude my query. How, during the late 1800's and early 1900's did a family move from one city to another when changing properties? My family originally were from Leeds, but moved to Birmingham around 1903 to 1906 - would the family have come by train or horse drawn carriage? And if they came by train how did they bring their furniture/belongings? If it was by horse drawn carriage then it would have taken days to travel, so would they sleep by the roadside? Any help would be appreciated.

Interesting question Vic. Must have largely depended on how much money you had. Someone on here will doubtless know more. Viv.

A large proportion of property in the past was rented, so no real issues moving around there. (There is a large mobile part of the population today)
Railways did have containers - smaller than those seen today - specifically for furniture removal. Wealthy people could also have used the railways large luggage vans as they probably had far more goods and chattels to move. Railways also had horse drawn carts and plenty of manpower for onward transit. Moving short distances a local dray man or carter would probably be of useful service and cheaper. I guess poorer families had little to move and probably what they possessed was worth very little, so was left or burned. This meant that at some trunks and suitcases would be all that was needed and no requirement for larger vehicles to be used. Replacement 'sticks' for the new home were usually obtainable from the many old furniture stores and junk shops, even small places has at least one. It was not unknown for greengrocery and fruit wooden crates to be used as furniture, or any suitable cast off packing cases - often on a temporary basis. The temporary basis lasting as long as finances allowed.
A couple of up ended orange boxes and a coule of planks made a table for instance. I know a famous New York restauranteur, with many restaurants, when started out had an office in that manner. His present office would rival that of Donald Trump! :laughing:

Thanks for the replies - Radiorails are you suggesting that most went by rail then? My family were not wealthy so I've always presumed they came by horse and cart.

They may have come by horse and cart Vic, but that was a hard and long journey which could depend on how much they brought with them of course. Rail travel was reasonably priced for lower classes in the past despite a limited choice.

As you will see things were not so bad on the railways of the past.
As with any historical time or document it has to be viewed in relationship to the times when it was part of daily life, particularly the life and culture of the subjects being considered, or when written.

There are railway records of very large houses, usually landed gentry, which was full of all manner of things and often included staff, being moved from one area of the country to another - even one country to another. This might be a permanent move or simple a summer time period move. There was no throw away society then - except for those who possessed little and what they had was absolute rubbish and unusable other for keeping the place warm.
The deceased were often transported by train to family cemeteries, or if they were away from home when they died. Wills often included valuable furniture and artefacts which had to be transported.
It was not until after the first world war, when there became a surplus of road vehicles, that removals by road became more the norm and an often cheaper railway competitor.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Like a lot of thngs in the past it's hard to appreciate how difficult travel would have been and the desperation some people would have had to felt to make them to travel many miles away from their family to find work.

I do wonder sometimes why my ancestors chose to come to Birmingham rather than another city and could that have something to do with the railways.

It was definitely the case with my great great grandfather but in reverse, he moved Cradley to rural Gloucestershire to become a station master.

My paternal grandmother was born on Portsea Island in 1872 or 73. When she was about 12, her father got a job (as a carpenter, I believe) at Dartmoor Prison which meant the family had to up roots and move. Nan says they travelled to Dartmoor by horse and cart, and as they'd be living in furnished prison accommodation they didn't need to take furniture with them. Not long afterwards, Nan decided to move on her own to London, literally to 'seek her fortune', and because she couldn't afford the rail fare she says she walked from Princetown to Portsmouth, where she boarded a coaster which was sailing to London. I used to doubt this story, but she made it pretty clear to me that it was all true - and Nan, who was hard as nails, was not a person whose word could be lightly doubted! Later, she moved to Aldershot - another story involving travel, but I'll leave this for another time.

G

Thanks Radiorails.

My extended family came from all over the UK and arrived eventually in Birmingham the same as my paternal great grandparents. My understanding of the reasons for this is purely based on employment. My relatives from Leeds were coach painters, other relatives came from Gloucester (Farming) and Norwich (Also farming) - presumably all of them came in search of a better future. The thing I also find fascinating is that they all settled eventually in Ladywood. Of course this was probably one the most built areas of the city at the time and offered the best housing structure/facilities.

Good question. My mother's great-grandfather, James Tovey, brought his entire family (wife and 5 children) to Birmingham from Winchcombe in around 1849 and ended up in Deritend. Can guess probably why: difficulties there in the paper making industry. But have often wondered how, exactly. Likely to be horse and cart, with all their worldly goods. But absolutely no clues at all. And will almost certainly never know.

What a different world.....

Chris

The railway to Princetown was not opened until 1883. It was a branch from Yelverton nearer to Plymouth than Exeter and was just over 10 miles passing through remote parts of Dartmoor - the reason why the prison, originally for French POW's of the Napoleonic War, was there. Dartmoor was well tracked so horses and carts would be fine usually. Not the best place in winter and in mist you van become easily 'pixylated' on those occasions with few landmarks for orientation.
One small halt (Ingra Tor) on the line had a unique notice. It warned travellers arriving for walking "Beware of snakes".
1574955126238.png

Nan used to say that she hated Princetown and Dartmoor, and couldn't wait to get away. I think she may have been no more than 15 when she left, and I also have a feeling that she never saw her parents again. Had she been able to (write, that is) she could've put a best-seller together with the story of her life.

I can't say I was all that enamoured with Dartmoor when we visited a good few years ago. It was July, yet there was a damp mist all over, and we didn't hang around for long.

And as a slightly off-thread aside, one time on holiday in France we were staying at a gite, and the owner told us that one of her ancestors had been taken prisoner during the Napoleonic Wars and spent a few years in Dartmoor Prison....but as the owner said, better Dartmoor than dead!

G

Back