• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Move along, please, there's nothing to see...

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
From a family album.

Looks like late 1920s (on a day when there was clearly no football on the wireless).

It's somewhere in Birmingham. Any thoughts on where, please? The lorry belongs to "(Something, possibly Haulage) Contractors....Tyburn.... (something, perhaps Road?)" and its registration may be VT 3531.

Chris

Last edited:
Certainly a shock for the driver of this mid-late 20s Leyland! The VT registration was from Stoke on Trent area, but the lorry may not have been living there at the time. Sorry, don't recognise the area although the canal bridge does look to be new bricks. The house behind the lorry's open rear doors looks as if it's under construction, too.
Incidentally, looking closer I see the 'van' body is a container (as used on the railways at the time) sitting on a 4-plank sided lorry, so the name may not be relevant to the truck's owners.

Thanks, Lloyd, and well observed!

The pic was almost certainly taken by my father who was living in Erdington at the time and so it could possibly have been from that area of North Birmingham.

For its period it’s not a bad snapshot and in its original form will blow up a bit further (even though, as ever, one wishes for just that bit of extra definition). What one can see is interesting though. The hats intrigue me – the cloche hats of the women and almost every male, young or old, in a cap or trilby. Plenty of suits as well. Suspect it was at a weekend – because of the large crowd – or perhaps an evening. It looks as though the bridge was preceded by a sharpish corner, judging by the line of the fence to the right of the vehicle and perhaps that was the reason for the mishap. Nothing else on the road, it seems.

Chris

Arthur Turnbull had a haulage company in Tyburn road in that era.

Situated just before the junction with Gravelly Hill,believe they are in Coleshill now.

Back