• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

mounted horse soldier

J

jake

i read that if a soldier is on a horse with one leg raised or rearing or so on
it tells how they were killed or injered, i can't find the article, can anyone help, thanks.(this is statues )

Jake I think its a load of nonsense, I have studied a lot of sculptors and have never come across that one before,this chap (see photo)Edward Horner died of wounds Nov 1917 and all four of the horses legs are on the ground

I have heard this before regarding some statues in London,ask Yahoo says,

As the page explains, the theory is that on a statue of a solider on horseback, if the horse is depicted with one hoof off the ground, the soldier was wounded in battle (and may have died later from the wounds); Two raised hooves indicate that the soldier died in battle. If the statue shows all four hooves on the ground, the rider survived all battles unharmed. As you may have guessed, the site declares this theory to be nothing more than an urban legend, and lists a number of statues that do not conform to the code.

Colin

Colin, Thanks for that............I could have posted half a dozen pics to knock that myth but could not be bothered .........A sculptor sculpts the horse how he wants it......

Back