• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Motorcycle Shops

Hi, I'm new to the forum, spotted this thread when I was looking for info on a couple of old school bike dealers.
I have a background in the trade, I worked at MCA (Aston) Ltd for 10 years from 1977. Great days, lots of dealers still open, the mainstays like Vale Onslow, Gray's, Copes, Fred Hanks etc plus the smaller shops like Perry Barr MCs, Kingstanding MCs et al.
I bought my first bike, a BSA Bantam, from Bob Joyner's on the Wolverhampton Road in 78. Anyone have memories of wee Bob's emporium or MCA?
Long time I know but I worked at MCA in 1963?? George Adcock was manager ( ex Premier) let me know if you get this, Brian

I bought a Suzuki 100 from Copes in 1971 - YHA94J - we must have just missed each other Vic!
Passed test at Quinton test centre on the Suzuki and then bought a new Honda CB350 from ?Sherwood motorcycles (think that's correct) - they were in Shirley, tiny showroom from memory but were Honda franchisees.
I left Copes in 1970 but very impressed with Japanese motorcycles. The writing was on the wall for the British motorcycle industry. I particularly remember the Honda CB92 125cc. A work of art and still are. I'm told they can fetch at least £6000 in good condition these days. The Suzuki 100 was faster than British 200 and 250s and far more reliable.

Are these the same shop does anyone know? They appear to be different. The one on top in the 50/60s maybe and the one below earlier? Also, whereabouts on Wellington Road are they? Some great pics on this thread btw!
i think one is wellington rd the other cov rd. if i remember the wellington rd one was just down from perry bar island.going up the hill to handworth wood might be wrong though.

Last edited:
in pic #219 can anyone tell who the rider is in the red helmet?.

clue he was in BOON

Last edited:
Are these the same shop does anyone know? They appear to be different. The one on top in the 50/60s maybe and the one below earlier? Also, whereabouts on Wellington Road are they? Some great pics on this thread btw!
The first picture is taken from the bottom of the drop in the road, just past what was until recently Hirons Nursery, heading away from Perry Barr. Don't know about the other, sorry.
Ian.

It was Wellington Rd junction Grosvenor Rd and the building at the rear in Grosvenor Rd was a Flour Mill, regards, John.

169097 is Gray's motorcycles, Wellington road. In the sixties on the other side of Wellington road was company called - S.P.D .

Do not forget forgot Mike Halewood and Rod Gould at Spaghetti junction.
you have not looked at all the post have you.

I worked at MCA, Aston and bought my first Tiger Cub from one of their customers, Don at Lichfield M/cycles for £5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even know where Lichfield was then

Where did you buy your motorcycles or spares from?

I can remember the following:

Vale-Onslow............ Stratford Road.

Grays Wellington Road,........... Coventry Road.

Aston Autos............. Aston Road North.

Copes................. Hagley Road.

Shovellbottams.............. Ladypool Road.

Kings Motorcycles............Gosta Green.

Must be lots more from the 60's/70's
the gearbox in Lichfield

Does anyone remember Rob (Bob) Collier of Erdington?
Bob lived in Wood end road. I visited his house during the mid-sixties with a friend who was after motorcycle spares.
I recall that the garden resembled a scrap yard with bikes and cars stacked on top of each other. I can't recall meeting Bob Collier.
Does anyone know where his house was on Woodend Road?
Bob was a trials/scrambles rider who owned many Norton motorcycles. I understand that these were bought by Sammy Miller after Bob passed away.

1664015353211.png

Colliday Chariot Commuter 1965​

Built by Robert “Bob” Collier of Sutton Coldfield, UK. This 3-wheeler was his 3rd prototype. Room for 2 adults and 2 children. Top speed 45 kmh. The petrol engine car had a simple control: starter switch key, steering wheel and two (go and stop) foot pedals. The turning circle was only 210 cm.collier car.png

Last edited:
Does anyone remember Rob (Bob) Collier of Erdington?
Bob lived in Wood end road. I visited his house during the mid-sixties with a friend who was after motorcycle spares.
I recall that the garden resembled a scrap yard with bikes and cars stacked on top of each other. I can't recall meeting Bob Collier.
Does anyone know where his house was on Woodend Road?
Bob was a trials/scrambles rider who owned many Norton motorcycles. I understand that these were bought by Sammy Miller after Bob passed away.
I remember Bob Collier. He lived in a one of a row of big Victorian houses on Wood End Road near to the junction of Kingsbury Road. The houses have now gone and replaced by some much smaller modern houses. He lived on the ground floor; the rest of the house was sub let to bedsits. He had this weight, wire and pully system to keep his front door closed.

He seemed to have accrued thousands of motorbike parts stored all over the garden and would sell them to local bike enthusiasts. He was able to locate almost any part in a few minutes.

He was a quite a talented engineer who could also make bike parts. He made some leading link forks for an acquaintances racing sidecar outfit. I have a feeling he was very much into the motorbike trials scene. I recon the older four stroke small bikes like the Tiger Cub and the BSA C11G were quite popular for trials and bob’s thing.

I spend a day as a trial’s observer and marker with his daughter Vicky at the England Experts in Wales in the early 70’s. He seemed to me to be an ok guy.

I remember Bob Collier. He lived in a one of a row of big Victorian houses on Wood End Road near to the junction of Kingsbury Road. The houses have now gone and replaced by some much smaller modern houses. He lived on the ground floor; the rest of the house was sub let to bedsits. He had this weight, wire and pully system to keep his front door closed.

He seemed to have accrued thousands of motorbike parts stored all over the garden and would sell them to local bike enthusiasts. He was able to locate almost any part in a few minutes.

He was a quite a talented engineer who could also make bike parts. He made some leading link forks for an acquaintances racing sidecar outfit. I have a feeling he was very much into the motorbike trials scene. I recon the older four stroke small bikes like the Tiger Cub and the BSA C11G were quite popular for trials and bob’s thing.

I spend a day as a trial’s observer and marker with his daughter Vicky at the England Experts in Wales in the early 70’s. He seemed to me to be an ok guy.
Hi Morturn, your location and description of the house fits into my image from when I visited in the sixties.
Any idea how he made a living, was he able to survive on the sales of motorcycle parts alone?

View attachment 173284

Colliday Chariot Commuter 1965​

Built by Robert “Bob” Collier of Sutton Coldfield, UK. This 3-wheeler was his 3rd prototype. Room for 2 adults and 2 children. Top speed 45 kmh. The petrol engine car had a simple control: starter switch key, steering wheel and two (go and stop) foot pedals. The turning circle was only 210 cm.View attachment 173286
I wonder why that form of transport didn't catch on in UK?
Thanks for the pic, I don't recognise him.
Is this the same person who made 2LS front brakes for Triumph/Bsa's?

Hi Morturn, your location and description of the house fits into my image from when I visited in the sixties.
Any idea how he made a living, was he able to survive on the sales of motorcycle parts alone?
I all honesty I don’t know. If I speculate, he had that big house and assuming he owned it there would have been the rental income. All the bits he sold had a price, he did not give stuff away and he made bike parts like forks, and I think frames. He had a good reputation locally for doing this.

I do recall he and the family seemed to live quite frugally too so I suspect he was just a entrepreneur who did his own thing at his own home.

His wife was interested in archelogy and worked at Wall, Lichfield. We were only paid £1.50 a day, just to cover expenses really.

In the winter of 1963, during the long freeze up, I was driving out of Newton Abbot up a hill towards Totnes, when I spotted a three wheel Reliant car heading towards me. It was spinning around due to ice on the road. Fortunately for me there was a driveway to my left which I drove into to get out of his way.
Yes, those three wheelers did have stability problems.

i

Back