• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Motorcycle - How To Find My Old One

Hi, im brand new on here and have a request, when i was 16 my Dad bought me a Greeves Sportsman 250 25DCX, that was in 1964 reg. no. BCE 181B.
I have often thought I would like to find it and buy it back and as time is getting a little shorter now I checked the computer to see how it was done and this is my first port of call after seeing other asking the same question.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Ben

I have 2 more numbers and types to check if you would please.

Triumph 650 Bonneville no. YCE 255
BSA C15 SS80 YER 797

Many thanks. Ben

Hi
I recently purchased a Francis Barnett , registration used to be YOH627 was issued. in Birmingham in May 1959 i would like to have the same number back with the Bike if at all possible,I'm told i would need documentary evidence which links the frame and engine Number , as i do not have the old logbook, thought i would ask here to see if i can gain Birmingham registration records show both registration and chassis
any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Mark

Hi trying to find out if a bike still is around for my dad that owned it in the 50s it's a 350 bsa gold star that competed in either the 53 or 54 isn't. It's registration was pof357.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi trying to find out if a bike still is around for my dad that owned it in the 50s it's a 350 bsa gold star that competed in either the 53 or 54 isn't. It's registration was pof357.

Thanks

Andrew

Yes!

✓ Taxed
Tax due: 01 November 2017
MOT
Exempt

Vehicle details
  • Vehicle make BSA
  • Date of first registration July 1954
  • Year of manufacture 1954
  • Cylinder capacity (cc) 350 cc
  • CO₂Emissions Not available
  • Fuel type PETROL
  • Export marker No
  • Vehicle status Tax not due
  • Vehicle colour NOT STATED

Hello Lloyd. I am trying to trace the month and year of a James motorcycle that I purchased from Motor Sales in Saint Pauls Road, Smethwick. The registration details given to the machine was 336 EHA. The frame number K7-4213. The colour applied by the Gough Road Factory was Martial Grey with gold lined blue panels to the tank. I guess it was scrapped years ago but one never knows.... any help would be appreciated.

Em

336 EHA isn't on the DVLA database, so it must be presumed gone (or hidden in a barn!)
That registration was issued between May & October 1957.
James 'Captain' K7 frame numbers were issued 1955: I'd expect a number in the '57K7' series. The actual number following in this case being 4213.
The paint specification says "For 1957 on the bike was also available in Martial Grey with Royal Blue tank panels double lined in gold or James Maroon with Tropical Grey panels, double lined in gold."
The engine would have been a Villiers Mk 8E, Capacity 197cc. 59mm x 72mm.
More here: https://simplywizard.co.uk/folders/specsht/k7ss.htm

Thanks very much for the valuable information Lloyd. I really appreciate your help in tracking it down. On writing down the frame and engine numbers in the Instruction Book that came with the bike (which I still have), I obviously omitted to include the 'year' Prefix to the number. I doubt I will see 336 EHA again.

Hi Evveryone,
I am new to the forum. I am trying to track down my late grandfathers old bike. Just wondering if anyone one could help. The bike is a triumph speed twin Reg: NNW238.
Thanks in advance.

Just checked on the Gov MOT and Tax or SORN site, it is not on, so probably no longer in existence.
Unless stashed away in some old barn for many years, in which case it is illegal as I believe all vehicles should be at least SORN'd.

Just checked on the Gov MOT and Tax or SORN site, it is not on, so probably no longer in existence.
Unless stashed away in some old barn for many years, in which case it is illegal as I believe all vehicles should be at least SORN'd.

Sorn only applies to registered vehicles which have been licensed since 31 January 1998. If it's been off the road since before then, SORN is not necessary.

Gday, im trying to trace the history of my 1920 Ixion motorcycle, registration HR1605. Ixion Motor Manufacturing Company were in Great Tindal Street, Ladywood, Birmingham between 1910 and 1923.
But thats about all i know about the compnay. Does anyone know anything about this marque? Thanks in advance

My first bike was a Honda 50 with the registration JOE 90E. This was a short suffix letter that ran from January 1967 to the end of July 1967 when annual registration letters changed on the 1st August. Little did I know about the TV puppet series Joe 90 that started in 1968, the year I traded in the 50 for a twin 175 Honda. Just discovered that the JOE 90E plate is alive and well and is currently displayed on a black 2013 Nissan diesel car. What's the plate worth today? - probably more than my Hondas put together.

My first bike was a Honda 50 with the registration JOE 90E. This was a short suffix letter that ran from January 1967 to the end of July 1967 when annual registration letters changed on the 1st August. Little did I know about the TV puppet series Joe 90 that started in 1968, the year I traded in the 50 for a twin 175 Honda. Just discovered that the JOE 90E plate is alive and well and is currently displayed on a black 2013 Nissan diesel car. What's the plate worth today? - probably more than my Hondas put together.
Bet you wish you had kept it now it worth a fortune.
1609058184081.png

Gday, im trying to trace the history of my 1920 Ixion motorcycle, registration HR1605. Ixion Motor Manufacturing Company were in Great Tindal Street, Ladywood, Birmingham between 1910 and 1923.
But thats about all i know about the compnay. Does anyone know anything about this marque? Thanks in advance

Hi
I sold my Harley Davidson night train in 2013 and am trying to trace it. DVLA tells me it’s been SORN for 7 years. My intention is to reach out to the current owner and express my interest should they decide to sell.
its reg number is 0U08 UET
Help please

hi roy fingers crossed someone can help you...love harleys my son had one a few years back.. he has never gone for speed and he has just taken delivery of a limited edition (755 world wide) triumph sandstorm and he absolutely loves it i can see him clocking up many miles on this one and i may even get a spin on it :) :) :)

lyn

sandstorm.jpg

hi roy fingers crossed someone can help you...love harleys my son had one a few years back.. he has never gone for speed and he has just taken delivery of a limited edition (755 world wide) triumph sandstorm and he absolutely loves it i can see him clocking up many miles on this one and i may even get a spin on it :) :) :)

lyn

View attachment 157742
Hi Lyn
Thanks for your message. I had one of the Meriden Triumphs which I put on the road as a chop when I was 17. Hopefully the modern ones are a bit more robust for your son
Yes, hopefully. Kick myself regularly as to selling it. Just a lot of change in my life at the time etc.

hi roy son has already run it in and done about 1000 miles on it just had 2nd oil change said its perfect for rougher roads which is what he needed as he travels all over the place and avoids motorways where he can...much prefers the scenery in uk and other parts of the world...dont give up finding your old harley i bet its out there somewhere please let us know if you find it

lyn

Hi
I sold my Harley Davidson night train in 2013 and am trying to trace it. DVLA tells me it’s been SORN for 7 years. My intention is to reach out to the current owner and express my interest should they decide to sell.
its reg number is 0U08 UET
Help please
From DVLA's .gov website:

Information about you or your vehicle​

You can ask for information that DVLA holds about:

• you
  • your current vehicle
  • a vehicle that used to be registered in your name
It’s free.

Information about you​

You’ll need to include:

• your full name
  • your current address

Information about your vehicle​

You’ll need to include:

• your full name
  • your current address and the address on your log book (V5C)
  • the registration number of the vehicle you’re asking about
  • what information you need, for example when the vehicle was first registered or the date you bought it

Where to send your request​

You can send your request to DVLA by email or post.

DVLA SAR Enquiries [email protected]
Subject Access Request (SAR) Enquiries
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BX

Hi Lloyd
Thanks for this information. I have previously completed a v888 but DVLA could not share any details because of data privacy. Is the SAR route different please?
Thanks, Roy

Last edited:
As I understand it, they will not give you any information on the current (or previous) owners, but they can forward messages, I think. It would then be up to the present owner if they wanted to respond to you. I don't know, but I imagine there would be a charge by DVLA for the tracing & forwarding.

Help please! 40 years ago my dad bought a combo (motor bike and sidecar ) a BSA A10 Golden Flash 650cc KBW286 engine no ca108990, we kept her till after dad passed her over to me in leu of a loan ! Being we could strip, replace parts etc, and because i loved driving her! Untill I needed money to help with my wedding, it was 1989 on a November day when the chap came with the trailer to take her away, he promised to bring her round to show us how he'd restored her, to this day i've not seen head or tale. My dad died November and remembering past times I would love to know how and where she is, she will be 57 this year!! being she was first reg in 1956. I know they wouldn't have killed her off!! can some one help me out? Or give me a clue as to how I coud find her? All ideas will be appreciated, thankyou, Terry.

1954 646 cc BSA A10 Golden Flash

“Use of an all-over finish of pale golden beige was, in the eyes of many BSA enthusiasts, a touch of sheer genius, producing the most handsome BSA of all.”

Classic British motorcycles of over 500cc from the National Motorcycle Museum by Currie, Bob. Publication date 1988.

IMG_1640.jpegIMG_1638.jpeg

lyn

View attachment 157742
riding it or pillion? i know you can ride one

Back