• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Motor Torpedo Boats + RAF Rescue Boats

Hello, I'm new on here. TS Thunderer was the former MTB 624 - a WWII Type D Fairmile motor torpedo boat with 4 American Packard marinised 1250 hp petrol engines. There were four screws. I think that she had a Viking funeral in Aberystwyth harbour. When she was sold in 1965, the wooden hull had rotted through and the people who bought her set her on fire at low tide at the centre of the harbour thinking that fire was the easiest way to separate the scrap metal from the wood. She had a distinguished wartime career and was formative in the lives of so many young people in Aberystwyth from 1946/47 to 1964. A long time ago, I was one of those young people.

Back