• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Motor Insurance

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Well, its that time of the year where my car insurance is up for renewal. Had an email from my insurers to tell me what my renewal price is provided my details have remained the same. Well the only thing to differ from last year is that I have gone from being employed to retired, so I duly altered my policy as required by them. Then blow me I had another email to say my new quote will be £50 extra. What's going on? I dont drive as much as last year, less mileage obviously and it goes up. It had already gone up a substantial amount anyway and they want more, I just dont understand it. Needless to say I have shopped around and I have found one that is £200 cheaper so I will be going with them. Dont people want business these days?

Terry

I have moved 3 times in past 10 years. Current provider is cheapest at present.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Some time ago my son applied for insurance on-line and the company was offering 10% discount for on-line applications. He received a quotation but there was one question on the form he was unable to answer so he phoned them up.This time the quote was £20 less! When he asked why this quote was cheaper when applying on-line gave a 10% discount, the chap said 'Well I'm giving you a 15% discount for phoning'!!!

We'll soon have to enter our star signs and then they'll add £50 for that :)

I change insurers every year Terry :- I use moneysavingexpert and moneysupermarket comparison sites to start with.
I very very rarely go with the renewal quote. You will save £££'s

Ste

My car insurance is up for renewal at the end of the month, so my son looked on line for me but the lowest was just £9.00 cheaper than my current one, which incidently shows a reduction this year of around £9.00. I only do a small mileage and have 7 years no claims discount but it is still more than he is paying for a 2 year old car worth about £13,500.00 while mine is worth about £500. How they compile their figures is a mystery to me.

Terry,
I had a similar experience to that.
The reason they put my insurance costs up after retiring was they assumed that because I was not working regular hours, I would be doing more leisure driving therefore more miles.
Like you I soon changed.

We'll soon have to enter our star signs and then they'll add £50 for that :)

I change insurers every year Terry :- I use moneysavingexpert and moneysupermarket comparison sites to start with.
I very very rarely go with the renewal quote. You will save £££'s

Ste

Like you Stephen I usually change each year but last year I changed my car and for convenience I stayed with them. I've used the confused and compare comparison sites, but I'll try the two you mentioned and see if something else comes up. I have also tried the well known sites like Saga, the AA, RAC but they are way out the frame. What price loyalty these days,heh.

I still use a good old fashioned insurance broker, a friendly voice on the phone, and the piece of mind to know you have what you asked for.

Terry I am paying less today than SAGA wanted off me 8 years ago. I pay less than some adverts claim they would be less than - how does that work?

Terry I am paying less today than SAGA wanted off me 8 years ago. I pay less than some adverts claim they would be less than - how does that work?

Bernard, It is not just car insurance.
This year my renewal for the AA stated that they appreciated the 25 years of loyalty. I called them and told them that most companies give a reduction for loyalty, not an increase. They gave me a £40 per annum reduction in fee. I have found that if you do not question insurance, breakdown renewals etc, they will just accept your payment.
If you tell them you are moving to another company, or looking for alternative quotations, then they usually reduce the fee. They really do not want to lose you to the competition if you have been a good customer. I have to say that I also insure with Saga for both car and home, and have better received deals than the previous companies that I insured with. Saga are pretty competitive, especially with us "older members of society". The internet offers excellent info on these matters
Bernard, if you pay even less now, then you must be a very good and loyal customer!! Eddie

I have just used Moneysupermarket and they came back with a quote £14 less than my previous cheapest. The odd thing is, its the same insurance company.

To be honest Bernard, I found Saga seem to be more expensive in everything, i:e car / home insurance, holidays. and they are supposed to cater for the elderly. Do they think pensioners are the new wealthy elite, some may be, but I am certainly not.

Some of the best Companies are not on comparison sites. I worked for several years for NFU Mutual and found them a genuinely honest company and the cheapest I could find. I have no ties with them and don't have car insurance in the UK now.
People believe they only cover farmers but they don't. Their attitude is always to come down on the side of the customer and obviously they don't have shareholders to satisfy.
Well worth a quote.

Quotes from companies, which do vary greatly, often depend on the area that you live in, your home/vehicle type, your age, who requires the cover, the security measures you have, past insurance claims record and such like. Insurance company actuaries, who are responsible for setting the fees required, take all of these points into consideration. Insurance fees vary from company to company, area to area. Shopping around for the best quote that SUITS YOU is important. Brokers are usually very good, but in many instances they are the "middle man" and require their percentage for conducting the business. There is no easy answer, but always try and "hassle" for a more lucrative deal. Eddie

Had my car ins renewal yesterday£583 with Lloyd's.

Decided to look on the tablet with Confused .com.Some of the quotes ranged from£420 to nearly £800.Guess who the £420 was with Lloyd's.

This morning phoned Lloyd's to cancel, told the girl why.She said let me see if I can bring it down a little. She then said ,we can do it for £423,accepted that.
Would love to have seen her face when I told her the lowest quote was with Lloyds:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:OOOH

Car insurance seems to be something of a lottery. I am with a company, also found by a comparison site, which claims discounts for other vehicles. Despite adding my son to my insurance recently, when I tried to insure his car with the claimed additional car arrangement, the price was extortionate. Reference to a comparison site gave a far cheaper alternative which was chosen. It was with the same company but trading under another name. :rolleyes:

I've found that going direct to the companies always ends up with a better deal than through the comparison sites.

You do have to ask, every time they send you a renewal notice, it's always more than they will accept if you challenge them,

Direct Line knocked a hundred quid of their renewal at my last time and previously LV did the same.

I've stayed with Direct line now for the last four years as I've been unable to beat their prices like for like from anybody else. And I've really tried. ;)

I am a regular user of comparison sites. Certainly, insurance companies were rewarding loyalty by ripping customer off. Interestingly, when you use a comparison site, the insurance companies know and will be more than ready to offer you a bargain.

Last year I found that my renewals were quite competitively priced. They get to know if you’re a comparison site user.

It is always worth looking at the Martin Lewis site, Money Saving Expert.com

Back