• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Motor bike and side car.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
:) This is a photograph of my mom and myself on our holiday at Talybont. It was my uncles bike and I loved riding in the side car. Bye. Jean. :)

Motorbike and side car.

:redface: Forgot to say the square tent in the background was the campsites toilet. :redface:

Loved the photo of the motorcycle and side car. After WW2 you would see a lot of them as families would tour with them. Lots of the men made the sidecars themselves and did a great job as far as I can remember. Tallybont was the first place I ever remember going on holiday to. Great memories Jean.

I have told the story on this site about the couple our family met in the Clovelly Car Park decades ago. They had a motorcycle and side car. Lady got undressed and into her PJ's in the side car and then jumped out whilst Mr. did the same. They both climbed in and slept tight all night. In the am they both appeared and and went off to the loos to change and then got on the road again. Never forgotten that. They were touring all over Devon and Cornwall
using the sidecar to sleep in.

motor bike combo

Fantastic.my mom and dad had a como like that,we went to blackpool.and most seaside places with it,i tryed to ride it one day in my dads workplace
yard,i was 13,after a great deal of jumping on the kick start it started.i put it in gear and off i went,wobling like the clappers,i could not steer it.in a straight line,one day mom and dad went to yardley crem on it to put flowers on a grave,driving down the road in the crem ,dad could here shouting,looking around he saw mom siting in the road,she had fell off ,when dad went over the speed bump,she was not hurt,just here pride.we always had a laff about that day.dad looked like space man with all is waterproof get up on,bless them,later he sold it to highland crow,bloomsbury st,and bought a three leggied car. pete

I also remember going on holiday in a motor bike with side car. It was one my next door neighbour had. they had two daughters about the same age as me so often used to invite me to go on holidays with them. This one year I went with their family to Barmouth in Wales camping. The sleeping arrangements were that everyone slept in the tent except me and their daughter Sheila. This was alright up to a point and Sheila and myself were duly set up in the side car and covered by the top canopy. All the studs for the cover were clicked shut and we were left snug, or that is how it should have been.

However I decided that I wanted to get up to go to the toilet so I woke up Sheila and we both struggled to open the studs, we managed it as this was the easy part. The problem was trying to get back in, we could not re-do the top cover and was too scared to wake any of the others as we had already been in trouble earlier in the evening. So we spent the whole night scared stiff, feezing cold and getting the inside of the side car soaked due to rain, no one was very happy that morning, Sheila and myself had a good telling off again:rolleyes:. Loved this family but can't say it was one of my better holidays.

Great photo. I have an interest in those bikes, I owned B33 1956 model which had a swinging arm rear supension and telescopic forks. The one pictured has a rigid back end and girder forks which I think has to be 1949 & before. The frame came from the M21 600cc side valve& M20 500cc side valve, the latter saw much army service in ww2. The BSA put the 500cc Overhead valve engine into this frame and it was deignated M33. Mine did 85mph flat out, and would do it all day fully loaded with camping gear and girl friend.

Have found this photo also taken at Talybont on the beach with myself on a mine. Thank goodness it didn't go off. Maybe some kind soul will make it clearer please?. Jean. PS that's myself sat on it with my mom and my brother.

Another photo found in my mrs's stuff. No idea who,when or where but the motorcylce registration is POM410. The little girl is also in the second photo sitting on Lynne's knee.
I would say taken on the same camp/caravan site.The trees in the distance seem to match up.
Not certain where to post this but when I saw Jeans photo I thought there must be something about Moms,little girls and motor cycle combinations. I don't really expect feed back from this. Unless you have photos taken at roughly the same place and time or a photographic memory. I do know Lynne's parents liked the Brixham area of Devon.

Richard what lovely photographs. I am still going through another box but unfortunately like yourself can't put names or places to all of them. Jean.

Thanks Lloyd. Some things you can remember from a very early age and as tiny as I was there [not much bigger now] I can remember that time so clearly. Jean.

I could not believe you sat on a mine ! The song " Boombangabang" is now going through my heard . I think I need some paracetamol.

you don't see sidecars now, do you?

my dad didn't have a sidecar [although I vaguely remember maybe an old broken one in the back yard]

he used to put us 3 kids in a wodoen box attached to the side of the motorbike, with blankets and cushions in, and mom on pillion...
I remember us going to Drayton Manor park like that..and my little sister dropping her teddy over the side as we left, and having to go back for it
:)

Great photo. I have an interest in those bikes, I owned B33 1956 model which had a swinging arm rear supension and telescopic forks. The one pictured has a rigid back end and girder forks which I think has to be 1949 & before. The frame came from the M21 600cc side valve& M20 500cc side valve, the latter saw much army service in ww2. The BSA put the 500cc Overhead valve engine into this frame and it was deignated M33. Mine did 85mph flat out, and would do it all day fully loaded with camping gear and girl friend.

I think HON was 1947 has my bike was JOL 86 and they did not use I. See my picture of the M33 and sidecar on a later post. Lou Dalby.

My Dad was a motorcycle nut before, during and after WW2 and he courted my Mum using the 'love me love my bike' technique! She went for it, and when I was 'in the oven' and she couldn't handle the pillion any longer he put a single seat side-car on his Scott Flying Squirrel 600. When I got too big to ride on her lap in the 'chair' he bought a bigger outfit, a BSA M21 with a child/adult sidecar. He put off buying a car until 1962 and right up to the end of his life he would wax lyrical about his motorcycling days. Pics #1 & #2 were taken on Cannock Chase, a favourite weekend destination for us in the early 50's. Dad supported me enthusiastically when I got excited about getting a bike but, in 1964, after putting myself in West Brom District Hospital for 2 weeks and my BSA C15 in the scrap yard, he wasn't so keen! Pic #3 is me during my recovery.......

Attachments

• Cannock Chase    c 1952, BSA M21 & Watsonian Combo.jpg
    Cannock Chase c 1952, BSA M21 & Watsonian Combo.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Cannock Chase c1951- Scott 600 2-stroke combo.jpg
    Cannock Chase c1951- Scott 600 2-stroke combo.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 14
  • July 1964 after wrecking BSA ,C15.jpg
    July 1964 after wrecking BSA ,C15.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
My Dad loved motorbikes until one nearly killed him and like you he changed to a car. This would have been in the mid 30's. The photo's are lovely I still love to visit the 'Chase' it's beautiful.Your photo's are lovely thanks for sharing them with us.

A picture showing showing Granddad, Grandma and Great Aunt Gertrude off to an annual holiday in Wales . Gran always went armed after someone told her that Welsh was a foreign language. As you can see Grandad picked up a few Souvenirs in his triumphal march across Liberated Europe always making sure he was far enough back to be well out of artillery range. I am not sure who is who though. I come from a long line of incredibly ugly people.

Just a picture of my Grandmother Kate Dalby with we think my father George, Taken at Wotton Wawen c 1920. The bike is AJS model A 748cc.

I think it may have been 1951 or 1952. I was talked into doing a newspaper round in Shirley, Solihull. They were desperate for boys to do this work and the owner was a neighbour of an aunt - that's how I got 'roped-in' so as to speak. I gave it up after six months or so.

One early morning - it was daylight so I guess between May-September - a motor cycle and chair stopped opposite the Odeon Cinema on Stratford Road. There seemed to be a flame on the engine near the riders legs. He dismounted, his passenger got out of the sidecar eventually as the flame got larger. I don't know why they were unable to make the flame out, but they didn't. The fire spread so I quickly cycled to the local Police Station which was a little farther along the road (in the Stratford-upon-Avon direction) near St. James Church.

I told the policeman, who was in shirt sleeves repairing his bike, about the occurence and went back to see how the fire was progressing. ;) A fire engine arrived a little later, presumably from Solihull as I do not recall a Fire Station in Shirley, but by this time there was not much other than wreckage left of this motor cycle and chair. Time to go as the paper deliveries were now well behind schedule. :rolleyes:

I think it may have been 1951 or 1952. I was talked into doing a newspaper round in Shirley, Solihull. They were desperate for boys to do this work and the owner was a neighbour of an aunt - that's how I got 'roped-in' so as to speak. I gave it up after six months or so.

One early morning - it was daylight so I guess between May-September - a motor cycle and chair stopped opposite the Odeon Cinema on Stratford Road. There seemed to be a flame on the engine near the riders legs. He dismounted, his passenger got out of the sidecar eventually as the flame got larger. I don't know why they were unable to make the flame out, but they didn't. The fire spread so I quickly cycled to the local Police Station which was a little farther along the road (in the Stratford-upon-Avon direction) near St. James Church.

I told the policeman, who was in shirt sleeves repairing his bike, about the occurence and went back to see how the fire was progressing. ;) A fire engine arrived a little later, presumably from Solihull as I do not recall a Fire Station in Shirley, but by this time there was not much other than wreckage left of this motor cycle and chair. Time to go as the paper deliveries were now well behind schedule. :rolleyes:
I hit a dog outside that police station on my LE killed the dog and nearley killed me ( no crash hats in those days ).

Hubbies interest in bikes came from his dad, who courted his mom on a motorbike and later sidecar.
He has never passed a car test and rides every day, despite 2 major accidents and a couple of minor ones, none of them his fault!
Our middle daughter loves bikes but our son isn't showing much intrest yet, much to his dads disappointment!
Sue

My Dad was a motorcycle nut before, during and after WW2 and he courted my Mum using the 'love me love my bike' technique! She went for it, and when I was 'in the oven' and she couldn't handle the pillion any longer he put a single seat side-car on his Scott Flying Squirrel 600. When I got too big to ride on her lap in the 'chair' he bought a bigger outfit, a BSA M21 with a child/adult sidecar. He put off buying a car until 1962 and right up to the end of his life he would wax lyrical about his motorcycling days. Pics #1 & #2 were taken on Cannock Chase, a favourite weekend destination for us in the early 50's. Dad supported me enthusiastically when I got excited about getting a bike but, in 1964, after putting myself in West Brom District Hospital for 2 weeks and my BSA C15 in the scrap yard, he wasn't so keen! Pic #3 is me during my recovery.......

“The 1946 Scott Flying Squirrel with girder forks prior to the fitting of the Dowty telescopics.”

British motorcycles of the 1940s and 1950s, by Bacon, Roy Hunt (1989)

IMG_1621.jpeg

Back