• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mother's Club Carlton Club Ballroom Erdington

More established bands seem to be appearing in 1968 and so prices increased. The Carlton line-ups were starting to look like those of Mothers in later 1969
In the mid sixties, of course, The Carlton was very much a Mod hangout. Best we got then was The Spencer Davis Group. Stevie Winwood, a brilliant musician even at 16, was adored by mods. I think there was a pub called the Navigation somewhere in Erdington where mods used to get pissed before heading to the Carlton. I love this thread!

Fabulous thread, thank you Viv! I was too young by a few years to go to Mothers, but have seen Jethero Tull a few times and Fairport Convention and Richard Thompson many times. Sadly it was driving back from performing at Mothers on 12 May 1969, that Fairport had their terrible accident. The Fairport gig at the Carlton would have had Judy Dyble, soon to be replaced by Sandy Denny. Mothers has a blue plaque, I think and some famous recordings were made there. What a great music scene Birmingham had.

Fabulous thread, thank you Viv! I was too young by a few years to go to Mothers, but have seen Jethero Tull a few times and Fairport Convention and Richard Thompson many times. Sadly it was driving back from performing at Mothers on 12 May 1969, that Fairport had their terrible accident. The Fairport gig at the Carlton would have had Judy Dyble, soon to be replaced by Sandy Denny. Mothers has a blue plaque, I think and some famous recordings were made there. What a great music scene Birmingham had.
Yes, very sad about Fairport Convention, I had actually seen them at Mothers that night and was quite shocked to hear about the accident afterwards :pensive:

Hi Jude:

The dance hall above Hilton's the furniture shop next but one to the Milk Bar in the High Street and opposite St. Barnabas Church(Erdington Parish)was called the Carlton Ballroom. I went there a lot and have loads of memories of the place.
The Carlton Ballroom eventually became "Mothers" the very famous club that hosted many of the famous bands. There is a book written about "Mother's" and the history of how those famous bands came to play there.

I know there were bands that played at the "Queen's Head" Six Ways Erdington, a place that was demolished just weeks ago after standing in
an awful state for years.

Here's the Wikipedia description of "Mothers" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothers

Blows you away when you think all these bands played there. When it was the Carlton Ballroom it just had a DJ....no room for a band.
Remember Mothers very well went there a few times back in the day

Back