• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mother's Club Carlton Club Ballroom Erdington

I worked as a bouncer for Mothers AKA The Carlton AKA Carlton Johns Agency. It is not widely known but Mothers was a huge stepping stone for Brum Groups. Groups looking to make it in the music scene were allowed to play at Mothers for free by way of an audition. If they went down well, they would be booked to play at all the peripherals for a proper fee. John Singer was the owner and he had a team of about twelve managers or partners. I am not sure about that side of things. These twelve were in charge of Different venues around Birmingham. I said I worked for Mothers, that is true but I was mostly at these outer venues. I worked at 'The Sydenham' in Small Heath, 'The Station' in Selly Oak, 'The Hollybush' in Quinton and 'The Bull' in Hay Mills. I did the odd night here and there at Mothers and saw some great names there.

I used to go to The Carlton, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sunday afternoons was spent there too while The Moody Blues 5 jammed. They later dropped the 5. I lived on "The Village" above a shoe shop so The Carlton was my second home. I saw John Mayall and his bluesbreakers there along with a host of others. God if those walls could talk. Anyone remeber Barmy Barry?

I saw John Mayall at Mother's, with Mick Taylor on lead. Great night. Also saw Jon Hiseman's Colliseum, the Aynsley Dunbar Band and Edgar Broughton. I'm still a huge fan of John Mayall, especially when Clapton was with him, and I've worn out at least 2 'Beano' albums (vinyl, that is). He's still performing, but I don't think he travels now. I remember seeing him at The Crown & Cushion in Perry Barr, of all places (with Clapton) and he refused to play unless people stopped dancing....mmm, not sure I really agreed with him on that one.

Big Gee

Brenda I probably waited in the same queue as yourself as I used to go most Thursdays when Stevie Winwood and the Spencer Davies group were on. I didn't go into town to clubs that much as this was a much smaller friendlier place. Hey Stitcher I must have passed you on the door a few times. Jean.

Jean,

We went to see Spencer Davis along with the New Animals at Tamworth Assembly Rooms earlier this year. Great show! Had a natter with him in the bar afterwards, reminiscing about when the Spencer Davis Group was the resident band at for Saturday hops at Birmingham University. Stevie Winwood's still performing, of course (and a big name too), his brother Muff is a producer, and Pete York has apparently disappeared. Hard to believe we used to get to see Stevie Winwood for five bob!

Big Gee

I was at mothers when the "Fairies " were playing and John Bonhan was in the audience Pissed. And he had a drumming "Battle" with the "Fairies" drummer and came second....There were socks and under-pants thrown in to the audience from the end of drum-sticks...Say no more........Also there when Floyd recorded Umma Gumma and they did "Careful with that Axe Eugene" absolutely the best performance I seen there....walked back to Sheldon afew times at Christmas....
Ps I have still got my "Mothers" Membership card......

I was at mothers when the "Fairies " were playing and John Bonhan was in the audience Pissed. And he had a drumming "Battle" with the "Fairies" drummer and came second....There were socks and under-pants thrown in to the audience from the end of drum-sticks...Say no more........Also there when Floyd recorded Umma Gumma and they did "Careful with that Axe Eugene" absolutely the best performance I seen there....walked back to Sheldon afew times at Christmas....
Ps I have still got my "Mothers" Membership card......

Great post Roy,
how about you scanning the membership card,
and posting it here?

Will do that as it is in my 6o's pics album. Will get the wife to sort it out as I'm not up to date with all these "Gadgets"..
Watch this space.....

I used to go to the Carlton in the late 50s.
No live bands then just a bloke putting vinyl recorders on the record player.
It was the 'place to be' in Erdington 1950s along with the Milk Bar a couple of doors away and the Coffee Bar further up towards the Green.

Oh to go back to the days of fluorescent coloured socks(for girls and boys)

Last edited:
The wife has tried to scan my Mothers card and also a ticket I kept that was to see Barclay James Harvest at Digbeth Civic hall. But has had no joy, will get her to try again later on. Iremember that gig well ,there were about a dozen of us in the audience, and when they came on the guy in the band said,"Good job we never brought our orchestra with us, we would of out-numbered you". But they played on and we all enjoyed it, That was the time when they released a single called "Mocking Bird". Do you remember it? Also we used to go to the Civic hall every Thursday night to watch Ian Campbell's Folk band. Young Ally was up there singing with the "family", Had a few good New Years there... Will defo get my Mothers card up for you to see......
icon12.gif

Alberta, we certainly could have gone to the Carlton in Erdington at the same time in the late l950's. I used to go with a dear friend Margaret, who sadly is no longer with us. We used to dance in lines to the song "My Boy Lollipop" and we were always asking the DJ to play "Swinging Shepherd Blues" for us.
Erdington High Street was a very different place back then but happy memories nevertheless.

I used to go in the 60's, when it was the Carlton. Think we've all met before!

Ann

Ann, Did you go to the El Toro Coffee Shop that sold Espresso Coffee. It was a few doors down from the Carlton Ballroom? It was the place to go in the late l950's when espresso bars started opening up.

No Jenny, I didn't live that side of town. But the Carlton was on our weekly list. I think we had to catch at least two buses to get there, but that didn't matter then.

Ann

Jennyann,AnnB,fancy you being the other two goodlooking girls there in the 50s.LOL.

Jennyann I also went with my friend Margaret she lived in Shortheath road and I lost touch with her over 45 years ago,Margaret Sparrow.

Right on Alberta.....My friend Margaret McNickle also lived in Short Heath...
Court Fam Road. Did your friend Margaret Sparrow have a sister named Carol?

This is the alley way at the side of the old Mother`s club today, I seem to remember, that there was some metal steps connected to the building,
Dave

Dave, there is a thread about all the old night-clubs and Mothers is mentioned quite a bit.

Back