• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

mothers maiden same as family

philbee

birmingham born and bred
Whilst carrying out my family research i have noticed on certain birth files i have accessed the mothers maiden name is given the same as the family surname would any of you enlightened family history buffs have an explanation for this as it is quite confusing to my old grey matter!

phil

It's usually one of two reasons. Either father and mother both had the same surname (cousins for instance) or the child was illegitimate.

I have an unusual issue because my Gt Grandmother reverted back to her maiden name on a census when she was widowed, why would this be the case?..seems a bit weird to me:abnormal:

I have the same with a family member who changed back to her maiden name but her death is in her married name. It must have been the womans choice but I am not sure why.

I have a cousin who reverted to her maiden name upon marrying a cousin following the deaths of their respective partners.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

My maternal gt. grandmother had "a moment of madness" as a result of which her son (and then my mother until she married) retained the family name from the maternal line.

(A great bonus, genealogically speaking, as that line had a reasonably unusual name and made research easier, whereas the mysterious bloke had a very common name and has defied all attempts at research into his background).

Chris

Back