• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mother in law

Frothblower

Lubrication In Moderation
This is a photo of my late mother in law Lily. She passed away last year aged 90. We had our ups and downs but I couldn't have asked for a better mother in law.

Hello Frothy, thats a lovely thing to able to say. My mother in law was just like a real mother to me for 30 years. Sadly she is no longer with us. I can laugh at all the mother in law jokes but I never experienced any of them.

Hello Frothy, thats a lovely thing to able to say. My mother in law was just like a real mother to me for 30 years. Sadly she is no longer with us. I can laugh at all the mother in law jokes but I never experienced any of them.

Thanks Stitch.
I got on well with Lil. The problem was, no one was good enough for her daughter. I think she finally accepted me after 30 years.:)

Mother in law was lovely it was the Father was the trouble he never called me by my first name all the time I knew him, he was a Builder self employed

Second time around it was the Mother in Law her Dad was lovely but he died so young age 57 RIP George he was a Bus Driver.:)

My mom in law, May Alexandra Farrell. I never got to know her as much as I would have liked as she died not long after we married. We moved to Kidderminster where she and pop would visit with their little dog Tilly but she only lived a few months after moving back to Brum. Jean.

Thank God for the In-Laws is what I say. Mine are the kindest, sweetest people you could ever meet and although they're both in their late 80's now they're still helping others when they can and still invite us for dinner once a week.
Mom & Dad's cooking is good too and Mom makes the best bread & butter pud I've tasted.
From the start they welcomed me into the family as their own and although I lost my Mom in 1977 my in-laws have done much more for me than anyone could ask for.
I love them both so much that words don't come anywhere near to explaining what they mean.:love:

It isn't the inlaws that bother me. Its their daughters. Mind you, Im shot of her now and the happier for it!

Last edited:
I never had a mother in law, no we werent too poor, my own Mom had died
whil;est I was in Egypt, but I met Enid and found a second Mother in Edith Turville she really was a lovely lady and I would liked to, have known her longer, we were getting married in August 54, but in May she a brain
haemorrhage and died, then in July Enid came home from and found her Dad in a pool of blood in his kitchen, he had a burst ulcer.,oh happy day!!
,He could be a funny old sod, when he wanted to be, which was usually all
the time, He was a heavy smoker and died of lung cancer on Christmas Day 1975, strange Enids Mom had two sisters who lived to be over 80.There is no fairness in the world, who knows, they all could be in the sky
watching every thing we do, bye Bernard

What frightens me is that, as time goes on, I'm seeing more and more of my mother-in-law in my wife....

...scary.

Big Gee

:)Ha Ha Michael is always saying this! He loved my Mom when we used to go shopping together the girls on the check out were amazed when I told them she was my Mom. They all thought she was Michael's Mom. The banter that went on between them was outrageous.:):)

I was not minded to add my MiL but decided she deserved an airing. All I will say is my late and dearly missed Father in Law should have a Sainthood as should my first wife.

Grace was born in Bristol but the family moved to Birmingham as her father was seeking work. The family lived on Bordesely Park Road (the bit now under the by-pass).

GraceEmery.jpg

Grace would always preen when a camera was produced right up to her final days.

Note: I have had to link to the site I host the photos on as the Manage Attachments button would not work? Hope it works.

Back