• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mother and Baby home, Wolverhampton

Spesh

I am trying find any information about a Mother and Baby home from the 1930's and '40's. The address of the home was 36 Merridale Road Wolverhampton.
My Mother had a baby boy there in the early '40's, which was adopted. I have had searches done by the apropriate authorities but they have given up telling me the only way forward is to find the records of the Mother and Baby home.
The child would be in their '70's now and I feel I may be running out of time to trace him.
Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks, the article gives me lots of info that I didn't know.
My hope is that someone will be able to tell me where or if any records are available.

Hi Spesh! I too am looking for a mother and baby home.I understand your frustration, my search has proved so hard I have almost given up. My aunt had a baby in about 1930 in a catholic home,run by nuns, which was run as a laundry, like the so called 'magdalene laundries'. I have tried to trace my cousin through the birth records, but as the surname is Owen and I do not know the babys given name this is almost impossible. i think my only hope is to find the records of the home, but I have no idea where it was.We are from Brownhills.I think these girls were sent to whichever home would take them, regardless of religion, as we are not catholic. She could have gone anywhere in the Midlands. I wish you luck in your quest, I have almost given up on mine. My cousin would be over seventy now, I doubt I will ever meet him/her. my aunts name was Lily Ethel May Owen (known as Ethel). If you come across her name anywhere please let me know. Good Luck!

I am trying find any information about a Mother and Baby home from the 1930's and '40's. The address of the home was 36 Merridale Road Wolverhampton.
My Mother had a baby boy there in the early '40's, which was adopted. I have had searches done by the apropriate authorities but they have given up telling me the only way forward is to find the records of the Mother and Baby home.
The child would be in their '70's now and I feel I may be running out of time to trace him.
Any help would be apreciated.
Hi, do you know the baby’s date of birth and/or name? Sorry I’ve only just seen this message, I know it was posted a while ago. I may be able to help.

Hi Spesh! I too am looking for a mother and baby home.I understand your frustration, my search has proved so hard I have almost given up. My aunt had a baby in about 1930 in a catholic home,run by nuns, which was run as a laundry, like the so called 'magdalene laundries'. I have tried to trace my cousin through the birth records, but as the surname is Owen and I do not know the babys given name this is almost impossible. i think my only hope is to find the records of the home, but I have no idea where it was.We are from Brownhills.I think these girls were sent to whichever home would take them, regardless of religion, as we are not catholic. She could have gone anywhere in the Midlands. I wish you luck in your quest, I have almost given up on mine. My cousin would be over seventy now, I doubt I will ever meet him/her. my aunts name was Lily Ethel May Owen (known as Ethel). If you come across her name anywhere please let me know. Good Luck!
Sad to hear that you're on the verge of giving up. My cousin (literally only just found out about each other) I'm told will contact me soon and hopefully I will be able to give her information about her mother who went to a mother and baby home in Chapel Ash, Wolverhampton. Many unknowns but I too had all but given up ever having contact as I'm only a cousin. The Together4Children Permanency Partnership, Staffordshire, ST14 7JQ might be able to help trace as they found my aunt's records (although I did have a vague idea of my cousin's name too which helped I guess). www.together4children.co.uk tel 01889 256400 or 07815827178 Good Luck.

Hi, do you know the baby’s date of birth and/or name? Sorry I’ve only just seen this message, I know it was posted a while ago. I may be able to help.
My mother stayed at this home at 36 Merridale Road until I was born at New Cross hospital, Wolverhampton in 1954. I would be very interested to know if there are any records kept by the home from that time.

Back