• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mother and baby home run by Nuns'

marandina2

knowlegable brummie
Morning :) Can someone advise me how to find where an unmarried 21 year old and her baby might have been sent? The baby was born 1961 in Selly Oak hospital and was adopted. I have recently heard of the adoption scandals and wonder if this played a part here. Although it was never mentioned that this was the case. The mother did refer to nuns and having to sleep with windows wide open in winter. Unfortunately this may also be a reference to a children's home? As the person was also taken into care for a while when her mother couldn't cope with the death of her father.
In either case I would be interested in information. Is there some way I can identify that she was present in either institution?
Many thanks
Alison

These were very hard times, poor young girls some of whom had been abused, ended up in these (hell holes) one disappeared from down our street in the late 50's, I know that society was different then, but the disproportional treatment of these poor souls can never be defended, some had their child forcibly snatched off them, and suffered for the rest of their lives with guilt and heart ache. Paul

If she was from the Selly Oak area I know that in the 1950s the house where St Mary's Hospice now is in Raddlebarn Road was a large house called Woodville and was run as a maternity home by the Catholic Church. It closed in 1973.
There is some information here: http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/BirminghamWoodville/
That would fit I think. She lived in Lea House Road, birth registered in Raddlebarn. I will have a look at the link. Thank you

These were very hard times, poor young girls some of whom had been abused, ended up in these (hell holes) one disappeared from down our street in the late 50's, I know that society was different then, but the disproportional treatment of these poor souls can never be defended, some had their child forcibly snatched off them, and suffered for the rest of their lives with guilt and heart ache. Paul
Thank you Paul. She never spoke of it just the odd snippet. I have been reading up on this today. It must have been awful. She was definitely emotionally traumatised. In the last few days I have found the child but unfortunately the mother died in 2018.

Back