• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mother and Baby home Moseley

Hello Maddie, I think there were several Mother and Baby homes in Moseley. I would think the memories would be bad though, not good ones.You can't sugar coat it really although we did laugh about something, bitter sweet I suppose. I know only one, nice memory my Birth Mother shared with me, which she was made to suffer for afterwards. I would expect you to have received a lot of replies on this from adoptees rather than birth mothers, I don't know? They are memories they find painful to recall. Which Mother and Baby home are you interested in?
Hi Nico, Thank you so much for your response! We're looking into Lahai-Roi. I can imagine most of the memories to be bad. The responses we have had have mainly been from adoptees.
Thanks, Maddie

I was in the Grange from December 1970 till the spring of 1971, l gave birth to a healthy baby girl in February 1971, and have mainly good memories of the home, it did seem a bit like a workhouse when you arrived, l was 16 and went in as a child and came out a woman, determined to make my way in life as l‘m sure many other of the girls did, l believe that the Matrons name was Miss Green and her deputy was miss Gayle,

I was in the Grange from December 1970 till the spring of 1971, l gave birth to a healthy baby girl in February 1971, and have mainly good memories of the home, it did seem a bit like a workhouse when you arrived, l was 16 and went in as a child and came out a woman, determined to make my way in life as l‘m sure many other of the girls did, l believe that the Matrons name was Miss Green and her deputy was miss Gayle,
Could I suggest you contact Maddie Hedges on a Private Message. See previous conversations on this thread.

It is called "conversation". You can also click on the name next to the avatar of someone you want to contact and "start conversation".

linda click the envelope then click start a new converstion ...enter the user name of who you want to send a private message to type your message and hit the post button...hope this helps...these messages are completely private between the recipient and the sender

Hi I was born at Lahai roi in September 1957 and adopted at 6 weeks. I have the handbook of the home which my adoptive parents kept and a photo album with pictures of the girls and their babies who were there at the same time. This was given to me by my birth grandmother when I traced the family in 1989 to find that my mother had died at 31. If anyone was born at this time or was there I would be happy to share these photos. They are very poignant.
Hi Susie, I was born at the home in November 1956 and remained there until my adoption in July 1957. I would be very interested in any photographs you are able to share. They will be the first ones I have seen.

Many thanks

Steve

Hi There,
I was born at The Grange , 42 Park Hill Moseley in 1963. Since, naturally, I was illegitemate, all the details have kind of been drip fed to me over the years. From putting the pieces together, I understood that my birth mother got 'caught' ran away, then was brought back to Birmingham to face up to her responsibilities. I was raised in the family by two great aunts and my great gran and my 'mother' was there in the background but having a fairly single life. I knew nothing of my origins until I was 16.Sounds incredible, but its true! Lorna, my birth mother told me the type of place I was born in and wove a story about how the place was run by Catholic nuns who were judgemental and cruel to the young unwed mothers there. She also told me that she had to perform chores until the birth of me. Sounded awful, especially hearing it for the first time at that age. She said that the babies there were up for adoption and went on to describe another pretty harsh scenario when that process took place. I have no idea how much of it was true and how much was fantasy, although any truth I could discover from someone who had been there in whatever capacity at the time would be most welcome. The story goes that my blood family decided to keep me which is how I came to be raised largely by my wonderful aunt. She gave me a fabulous chance in life and I buried her just a couple of years ago. Despite this one always hankers after more, strange eh? Going through Auntie's things, I found a 1963 diary and written in a sort of code was the address of The Grange, 42, Park Hill. It was quite a moving experience. She had written down the numbers and times of the three buses she had to catch from Dudley to visit. Its how I discovered the place. Whats even more poignant is that the first photograph of me is of Auntie holding me as a newborn baby. Clearly, that was taken in The Grange. When I located the place and pulled-up outside (who knows why?), I had the oddest feeling that I had been taken there as a small child. I am pretty certain.
So, I guess thats my story and what I would really appreciate is contact from anyone who could shed some more light on any of the above- was it a cruel and harsh place? Was it run by Catholic nuns? Would there have ben any reason to take me back there, possibly to show how secure and settled I had become- my birth mother took me, I am certain.Any information would be gratefully recieved. All the best, Nigel.
Hi Nigel, what an amazing story. I'm a journalist doing some research on people who were born in mother and baby homes from the 1950's onwards. Would you be willing to talk to me about it?

Hi I was born at Lahai roi in September 1957 and adopted at 6 weeks. I have the handbook of the home which my adoptive parents kept and a photo album with pictures of the girls and their babies who were there at the same time. This was given to me by my birth grandmother when I traced the family in 1989 to find that my mother had died at 31. If anyone was born at this time or was there I would be happy to share these photos. They are very poignant.
Hi Susie, I am putting a feature together for ITV Central News about women who gave birth in mother and baby homes, and also the children who were born there. I would be very interested in the photos and the handbook. Would you be willing to share it for use in the feature, and also talk about tracing your family?. I think the photos would bring the reality of that time to life.
Best wishes, Jane

I was born in this home in 1950 and was adopted. I don't have any recollection of it but on finding my birth mother she said it was a terrible place and that they were made to do all the chores right up until the birth,and were not allowed any rest after the birth.
Hello Margy,
Apologies if I have contacted you previously but I was born there on the 27th Feb 1950 .I didn't find our I was adopted until late in life.Never met my original Mom.Wondered what the place was like.My mom would have been 30 at the time which I think was relatively old for that time.Just looking for any memorit's of the place.
Best regards,
Barry

I was an unmarried mother in the Grange Moseley in 1965. I was only there for six weeks but I remember it well. It was a very difficult time of my life. The Matron there was great but the Cook was terrifying. We all had chores to do - light the fires, help with the meals and cook. It was very cold in the main lounge which seemed enormous and the dining room was FREEZING. I remember the staircase which was very grand and, of course, I remember the nurseries.

The ante natal mothers lived on the top floor where the servants would have lived in Victorian times - there were two dormitories - the one I was in housed six girls. Lots of memories - mostly sad, but there were some fun times to
Hello Chris, I'm a journalist at ITV Central News researching info on coerced adoptions at Mother and Baby Homes in the 60's and 70's. Would you be willing to talk to me?, Kind regards, Jane Hesketh

I was born in this home in 1950 and was adopted. I don't have any recollection of it but on finding my birth mother she said it was a terrible place and that they were made to do all the chores right up until the birth,and were not allowed any rest after the birth.
Hello, I'm a journalist at ITV Central News looking for adoptees from Mother and Bay homes in the 60's and 70's. Would you be willing to talk to me? Regards
Jane Hesketh

Hi all,
My mother was born in Marsden green maternity hospital on 6th June 1950 and put into the mother and baby unit until she was adopted I think 3-6 months later. She is now 70 and has never tried to trace her mother as didn't know really know the history with these homes and I suppose always just felt rejected. I would like to try and peice together some history for her but don't really know where to go from here. Any advise appreciated

It is very unlikely that you will be able to undertake this research on your Mother's behalf. She will need to go through the children's services of the area that organised her adoption. It will include an interview with a designated social worker who will then try to locate her adoption papers and then allow access to her birth certificate. You can of course, be with her and support her through this. Good luck

I was at The Grange, Mother and Baby Home from October 1966 to February 1967. I was 16 at the time, it was a time in my life that has never gone away, and I am 71yrs old. I had a beautiful baby girl, I was an only child and my my had died when I was 11, my dad and his family would not let me keep her, even though my boyfriend stood by me. I was the longest girl in there, as they thought my family would let me keep her. The day she was took from my arms will haunt me, I was put in another room and watched her been driven away, and I was told leave the same day. Social workers would not listen that I wanted to keep her or help me. Years later I got married, but was told we could not have children and we adopted two beautiful boys, only for social services apologise about what had happened. All I say to people who know my story is, walk a mile in my shoes,

I was at The Grange, Mother and Baby Home from October 1966 to February 1967. I was 16 at the time, it was a time in my life that has never gone away, and I am 71yrs old. I had a beautiful baby girl, I was an only child and my my had died when I was 11, my dad and his family would not let me keep her, even though my boyfriend stood by me. I was the longest girl in there, as they thought my family would let me keep her. The day she was took from my arms will haunt me, I was put in another room and watched her been driven away, and I was told leave the same day. Social workers would not listen that I wanted to keep her or help me. Years later I got married, but was told we could not have children and we adopted two beautiful boys, only for social services apologise about what had happened. All I say to people who know my story is, walk a mile in my shoes,
hi jilly and welcome....what a sad story but thank you for sharing it with us as it cant have been easy for you...sadly a story so typical of those days...i am so pleased that you were able to give a loving home to your two sons and i am quite sure that your little girl was also adopted into a caring loving family

lyn

Hi Jilly, What a really sad, but all too familiar story of Mother and Baby homes for unmarried mums at that time.
If you go to itv.com/central there are 3 stories on there that are very similar to yours. Women who were given little choice but to have their babies adopted. You are not alone. Have you ever tried to find your daughter?
Jane

I was in ‘The Grange’ mother and baby home in 1981, with my daughter. The home was owned by Cadbury’s and run by nuns. The nun in charge was Miss Green. It wasn’t a nice place to live and I found the nuns to be unpleasant and uncaring. The nuns went off duty around 6.00pm and ‘care assistants’ (non nuns) came to be on duty throughout the night. These women were nice and non judgmental. I believe the home closed down a couple of years later. I was placed in the home by social services. I just wanted to share my information as it may be of help to someone.

Hi there
I was born here on 15. January 1946 to Mary Elisabeth Houldey. I was told of my adoption when I was 12, but didn't receive my adoption papers until after my adoptive mother died in 1991. In 1996 I discovered the whereabouts of my birth mother and very carefully contacted her. She was enraged that I had found her but I had had counselling in London and had no qualms about it. She was finally curious as to what had become of me, so in 1997 she came over to Switzerland for a one-off meeting. She refused to tell me who my father was, she only said that the information would hurt me more than I already was. That set me thinking!!! She was extremely distant and warned me not to try and contact her two 'own children'. The outcome was not happy, and I finally did contact one of the "brothers" when she had died. His wife wasn't happy at all about it, and made it quite clear. However carefully I trod, it made me feel even more of an intruder - an outsider, which of course I am.
To this day, I'm not sure which of the two mothers was the least suitable to be a mother to me and it has taken me nearly seven decades to become what I probably should have become in the first place, under a kind and loving mother's care. I believe I had always had some form of attachment disorder and I have never truly felt unconditional love apart from my lovely son.
If you are trying to trace your roots, tread with an open mind - it can be like a minefield.
Hello ,
I was born here on the 27th Feb 1950 to a Gladys Marjorie Davis My original birth name was Philip Davis .My original family were from Walsall.As far as I know I was adopted by my adoptive Parents in April of that year.I found out late in life that I was adopted and didn't start looking into my past until I retired.My original Mom died in 2006 so I never got to meet her.After using Newspaper Archives and talking to Neighbours she actually lived 7 miles from where I live now I found out that she had anothee child in 1947 possibly from an American Airman.I have managed to locate this half brother and he doesn't want to know.Her brother who is still alive tried to put me off at first but gradually came round although he too know wants to be left alone.To be honest I never felt welcome by the family I felt I was a dark secret that should be kept that way.I wonder how my mother would have reacted if I had tried to contact her when she was alive.Anyway I have some nice photos of her when she got married in 1960 she didn't have any other children.I had a DNA test carried out and found out that my original father was Polish so I wonder if he was part of the war effort or a pilot I will possibly never know.I think this could be the end of my search now so I can relate to your experiences funny how I got most of my help from neighbours rather than family.I also know my original Mom worked at Kynoch during the war and at Lewises in the 50s or 60s or 70s in the women's clothing department.I was brought up very well by my adoptive Parents in Garretts Green Birmingham.
Best regards,
Barry

hello barry firstly i think you are so brave to write your story as it may help others...it is sad that your half sibling and your uncle does not want to keep in touch with you..its a difficult situation and maybe they think too many years have passed which is understandable...all credit to you though for finding out as much as possible about your birth mom and dad and you do have photos of your mom...unless you already know your moms situation which led to your adoption you can always contact social services and apply for your adoption records which should give you this information...

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I had my Son in The Grange in June 1974. I was able to keep my Son so I was resident there for longer than usual. At that time it was run purely on charity and was not run by nuns (thankfully). It wasn't too bad then, the midwives who ran the home, were nice and the camaraderie between us girls helped. I have fond memories of the place unlike some other girls but I'm sure if I'd had to give my baby up, I would feel very different!!. I was upset to find out it had closed because I worried about other girls who may have needed their help. The adoptions that took place during my time there were NOT private adoptions and Birmingham Social Services should have all paperwork from that time. If anyone wants any information about what it was like then, no matter how silly it may seem to others, I am more than happy to help.

Even after all these years I still think of the girls that passed through their doors during my time there and their beautiful little angels they had for such a short time and wonder how life treated them and where they are now.

Thanks for your reply Chris. I know this is an odd question but was there a skylight above the staircase at the very top of the house? I have a recurring dream of a big old wooden house, no carpets, with a big old mahogany-type staircase, big old banisters, and a skylight shedding a rather grim greenish light down over the stairwell. I'm 47 now and all my life, this image has interrupted pretty much every dream I have. If I didn't live so far away, I'd just knock on the door and go and have a look around. I'm sorry if this rakes up sad memories for you.. but I really appreciate your reply.
Hi Swilco
I was in The Grange in 1974 and can confirm some of your details are correct. It wasn't wooden but a large brick built house. From the hallway there was a large staircase (for visitors only lol) that had a lovely red carpet. The bannisters etc were a dark wood and on the first floor there was a window (not skylight) that let the light through. I know you put your question on a long time ago but I am hoping you have been able to use Street View or something like that to view an image of the house, which is a private residence now.

hi Msria sadly swilco
is now only a guest member of the forum so unless she re joins us wont be able to reply to you....thanks for your memories they are very interesting

lyn

Hi Swilco
I was in The Grange in 1974 and can confirm some of your details are correct. It wasn't wooden but a large brick built house. From the hallway there was a large staircase (for visitors only lol) that had a lovely red carpet. The bannisters etc were a dark wood and on the first floor there was a window (not skylight) that let the light through. I know you put your question on a long time ago but I am hoping you have been able to use Street View or something like that to view an image of the house, which is a private residence now.
It was a beautiful house but filled with sadness. I can’t remember any happiness there. The nuns were uncaring and didn’t engage in conversation with the mothers. There was a young girl who lived in the Grange, she didn’t have a child. I always thought this to be odd. The girl was not allowed to mix with the young mothers. She had her own room and it was covered with ABBA posters. It appeared that she was very isolated, but allowed to live there without a child. She never left her room and meals were taken to her. This was in 1981.

Hello,
So interesting to read all the stories from both the ladies that had children here and of people born here.
I was born in The Grange in October 1971 to a 16yo mother. I'm not sure how long I/we were there but I was passed on to a foster mother in Nov 71, and ultimately adopted in Jan 72.
From everything I've read on here and seen elsewhere (Long Lost Family, Philomena etc), these ladies were treated a "sinners" and I'm glad to see Msaria's post suggesting that things improved somewhat when it became charity-run.
It's very interesting to read people's experiences of tracing birth families as Long Lost Families only seems to show reunions that have worked out well.
From my own perspective, I've never sought for a happy-ever after reunion with my BM for a number of reasons, most importantly that she may have moved on and not told future family etc.
However, I have always wanted to get a message to her to let her know that I'm fine, having a great life and appreciate the tough decision made (or maybe made for her) to have me adopted.
So who knows, JW may be reading this :) ...........

Back