• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mother and Baby home Moseley

I'm not the adoptee. Have exhausted every avenue we could over the last 20 years to find him, but to no avail..

I don't know whether adoption voices can help, but with so many birth mums and adoptees in one place that have all gone thru similar situations to yours, they might be of help. The search angel on there, Maggie, has a vast experience. Try them, just in case....

Hi Nico,
Your insights into Lahai roi are interesting, knowing how our mums might have been treated. Programmes like the Christmas 'call the midwife' do highlight things. I recently watched the film,'Philomena', and found it very moving but at the same time upsetting. So many birth Mums seem to want to find their 'lost' kids, but mine unfortunately didn't.
I've also read many experiences that adoptees have had brilliant, loving adoptive parents, and just as many from adoptees that had a bad experience, unfortunately I come into the latter category. I recently read an article in which an adoptee compared her life to sitting on a station platform with a birth train on one side and adoptive train on the other, and her ticket didn't allow her to belong on either. It rang a big bell with me. All thru my childhood years and a lot of my adult years my a/father made it clear to me that I was a waste of space not coming up to the expectations he would have had from a 'real' son, and now finding the birth train is also not the one I'm left on the platform with no feeling of belonging to birth or adoptive family, also quite lonely with no aunts, uncles, or other extended family.

I'm not the adoptee. Have exhausted every avenue we could over the last 20 years to find him, but to no avail..
You are the birth mother. Norcap help anyone affected by adoption. When they were still producing their magazine when I began my search they had life experiences of successful and unsuccessful birth mothers and birth fathers. The law has recently changed so that birth mothers can now search for their children. There is the UK Birth Adoption Register which has a reasonable one off fee and they will also advise you about intermediarries who work I believe on your behalf. If Nicky Campbell & Co can find people you can. I am unsure of how the intermiadiary payment works I have a friend wanting to go down that road o find her brother she only just discovered she had. Her mum in 88 and wants to know if the baby she gave away is alright. We managed to trace the family with the information given ony to be told they are not the family. I should imagine your details are sketchy.

My birth mother gave up trying to find me, she rented a flat by Lahai Roi thinking she might see me in my pram. She waited 50 years for me to find her.

Hi Nico,
Your insights into Lahai roi are interesting, knowing how our mums might have been treated. Programmes like the Christmas 'call the midwife' do highlight things. I recently watched the film,'Philomena', and found it very moving but at the same time upsetting. So many birth Mums seem to want to find their 'lost' kids, but mine unfortunately didn't.
I've also read many experiences that adoptees have had brilliant, loving adoptive parents, and just as many from adoptees that had a bad experience, unfortunately I come into the latter category. I recently read an article in which an adoptee compared her life to sitting on a station platform with a birth train on one side and adoptive train on the other, and her ticket didn't allow her to belong on either. It rang a big bell with me. All thru my childhood years and a lot of my adult years my a/father made it clear to me that I was a waste of space not coming up to the expectations he would have had from a 'real' son, and now finding the birth train is also not the one I'm left on the platform with no feeling of belonging to birth or adoptive family, also quite lonely with no aunts, uncles, or other extended family.
Not just our mums Ian, all the mums. I made a friend along the way of a man who reseached for Philomena for the book he has since passed away but he helped me too.I am sorry about your train situation. I have a friend who feels the same as you do yet adopted with different circumstances. Firstly though mate, you ARE a real son it's Mr Plod who was/is not a real dad and secondly a biological child wouldn't come up to Mr Plod's expectancies either. My close relatives are similarly affected and one of the biological children was treated worse than their adoptive siblings because their father thought that his blood child should be better than them at everything.
I have a friend who's mum was adopted because her parents were childless and they needed help on the farm and she was treated like a drudge till she got married. Another whose wealthy childless parents adopted them because they didn't want their cousins to inherit!
Your mum could not have found you Ian, as the law prohibted them till now if it was a proper adoption. She is not perfect, none of us are. You will be raking up an old sore that she has been able to live with or has put away in a box. She has got to feel that she can deal with those emotions again. Another relative I had fell down the stairs on purpose to lose her baby because her husband treated her like a druge and every year she remembered them on their birthday. I said I wouldn't but I do compare my BM with my AM I am in tormoil at the moment as my siblings want to meet me. I have met 2 one I like one I don't. I correspond with 4 others, again 2 I like from what I know, one I am not so keem and one scares me. Whatever our circumstances we are who we are.

I'm his sister. My Mum was in there. I ran a business tracing birth families for over 10 years from the mid 90s after finding my Mum's birth family, but couldn't find my own brother! Thanks for the heads up on the law change. :)

I'll get there in the end MsSElse! The law changed maybe 2 years or more ago probably more. Do you know your brother's new name assuming his was changed? You are like my friend then. I told her to look at the Adoption register. You pay a small some to be put on it a one off, then if someone an adoptee knows they are adopted and looks on it, voila ( I suppose). Or am I teaching granny to suck eggs? I would also like to find my uncle who was adopted, no one knew about him I don't have his new name. Send me a PM if you's rather. Nico

Don't know his new name, but he was born Kevin Ball on 5/5/55 (though I am aware that birth dates were often changed).
Pretty sure my Mum put her details on the adoption register years ago, but will check.
She's 82 now, and really just wanted to tell him what happened. She went on to marry his father and have another son with him, too..

Don't know his new name, but he was born Kevin Ball on 5/5/55 (though I am aware that birth dates were often changed).
Pretty sure my Mum put her details on the adoption register years ago, but will check.
She's 82 now, and really just wanted to tell him what happened. She went on to marry his father and have another son with him, too..
Tried to send you a Private Message but it wont. I wouldn't put personal details on the punlic domain. You can maybe send me one?

I am looking for information about my brother born in 1958 at the home to my mother and adopted out in June of that year to a Quaker family in Exeter. If anyone is able to give me any information I would be very grateful. I understand he may not wish to have contact with his birth family especially after such a long time but I would love to be able to at least tell him our mother would have loved him dearly and that it would have been the hardest decision she ever had to make (as for all the mothers there)
Many thanks

Welcome Townsend. I wish you luck in your search. Have you tried a similar forum to this in Exeter?

Old Boy

I am looking for information about my brother born 9 March, 1958 at the home to my mother and adopted out in June of the same year to a Quaker family in Exeter. If anyone is able to give me any information I would be very grateful. He was born Kevin Shaun Rose. I understand he may not wish to have contact with his birth family especially after such a long time but I would love to be able to at least tell him our mother would have loved him dearly and that it would have been the hardest decision she ever had to make (as for all the mothers there)
Many thanks
Hello Townsend jut back from long haul however which home? Send me a PM or the others and don't put personal things on public domain. You don't want to scare people off. There will be an adoption support society in your area.Nico

I have read with interest the stories about an unmarried mother's home, sometimes called The Grange, on Wake Green Road, Moseley. I am trying to help my mother-in-law whose birth was registered as being at 53 Wake Green Road, Moseley on 10 October 1925 - much earlier than the posts I have read on this thread. The birth mother was unmarried and from Rochdale and my mother-in-law was then adopted with 2 weeks and moved to Sheffield.

I am trying to find out whatever I can about this location but am confused because Kelly's Directory for 1925 lists 53 Wake Green Road, Moseley as a private address.

However, a signed letter acknowledging the adoption from the birth mother is clearly countersigned by a May Crozier, The Grange, 53 Wake Green Road, Moseley, Birmingham.

Any help would be really appreciated as my mother-in-law is approaching 90 and is just very keen for some further information about the circumstances of her birth.

Thank you.

Pete Lane

Very mysterious. For 1922 & 1925, at least, the electoral roll shows the only person registered as (Sir) Barry Jackson of the Birmingham Rep. It is the same one, as the 1920 entry shows another address as the Rep.,

Last edited:
The 1927 electoral roll lists Wilhelmina, David and Ronald Godfrey Crozier with Robert Mason as living at 53 Wake Green Road. The 1911 census lists Wilhelmina and David as living in Manchester but the list of children includes a daughter May (born 1899). There were also two single females (not listed as servants but boarders) and an infant with a different surname. I wonder if the family "helped out" single mothers?

Janice

Many thanks. This is intriguing - maybe this was the Crozier family's philanthropy ! But how would they know about this in Rochdale - the location of the birth mother ? maybe from when the Crozier family lived in Manchester ?

Possibly this informal work expanded, hence the move to other premises further down the road referred to in the posts about the 1950s/1960s.

Am I right in thinking that there was no formal registration of adoption in 1925 ?

Thank you

Pete

I don't know how anyone would know. Although Rochdale is only 9 miles from Manchester. Most of the Crozier family seem to be born in Ireland apart from the youngest 3 (Manchester). The father and two eldest sons worked at a Chemical works so no medical connection. Of the boarders one came from Sheffield and the other from Shropshire so no link there.
Formal adoption in England only began in 1927.

Janice

Very mysterious. For 1922 & 1925, at least, the electoral roll shows the only person registered as (Sir) Barry Jackson of the Birmingham Rep. It is the same one, as the 1920 entry shows another address as the Rep.,

Could someone with access to the electoral rolls please clarify this and other comments about the occupation of 53 Wake Green Road, Moseley:

1925 - mikejee says that (Sir) Barry Jackson was resident, of the Birmingham Rep.

1927 - pjmburns say that Wilhelmina, David and Ronald Godfrey Crozier with Robert Mason are living at 53 Wake Green Road

My mother-in-law's birth certificate says she was resident (as an unmarried mother) at The Grange, 53 Wake Green Road, Moseley in October 1925 and the adoption transfer letter is signed by a May Crozier of the same address on 22 October 1925.

Strangely, given the Birmingham Rep link, the adoptive parents were in Sheffield - Fred Wood was a theatre pianist and he and his wife, Agnes, took in theatricals when they were on tour in Sheffield.

probably too late now for any definitive answers but i just want to provide my mother-in-law with whatever information I can gather for her 90th birthday in October this year.

Thank you all.

Back