• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mother and Baby home Moseley

I was born in this home in 1950 and was adopted. I don't have any recollection of it but on finding my birth mother she said it was a terrible place and that they were made to do all the chores right up until the birth,and were not allowed any rest after the birth.
Hello Margy,
I was also born here in 1950 February and I was eventually adopted by a family that looked after me all my child ,teenage years.I only recently found out that I had been adopted and have since retiring followed up on my past.My original Mom was originally from Walsall and lived in Walsall at the time.She was unmarried.I cannot understand why she went to this particular place.Sadly I never met my original Mom and she has passed in 2006.I am tracing her family at the moment but have had no feedback so far I suppose this is a very sensitive subject.
Best regards
Barry Worrall

Hello Wendy thank you for making contact yes this was a sad time in my life and in many other young womens lives but when I was there it was christmas time and yes it was hard but do you know what! we did have some fun with the nuns and it was not all bad. maggie
Hi Astoness,
Thank you for your reply.
I agree, whether by choice or forced upon her, it couldn't have been easy for my birth mum, especially when shipped 50 miles from home to a place with no friends and unfamiliar surroundings at such a tender age and stressful time.
Unmarried motherhood had such a stigma back in the 50's that I can fully understand why I might have been put up for adoption.

Ian
Hello Ian
I was also born here in 1950 and adopted 6 months after my birth.My original Mom lived in Walsall so I was trying to understand why she had me at this hospital ,perhaps it was a place for unmarried mother's? I have seen that this was a place where adoptions took place ?Sadly I never met my original mother who is now dead.I only found out that I had been adopted until in my forties and since retiring I am following up.It is very interesting to follow up on her family but you do have to tread care fully as relatives maye not even be aware of my existence. I am now following up on my adoption records and will continue perhaps like you say my Mother had to give me up because of the stigma associated with this.I also thought she was young but she was 30 when she had me nice to talk to you
Best regards
[email protected]

I was born in this home in 1950 and was adopted. I don't have any recollection of it but on finding my birth mother she said it was a terrible place and that they were made to do all the chores right up until the birth,and were not allowed any rest after the birth.
Hello Margy
I have only recently started to look for my original birth Mother as I was adopted from this place in 1950.I have been well looked after through my life and now have three grown up children and 4 grandchildren.I have been really interested to read all the reports and descriptions since I never met my real Mom and often wonder what happened.I have just requested my adoption records and I await their arrival.I really wish I could have met her but as someone else mentions you don't know what problems this would have caused to some of the relatives.My mother was not a young girl she was 30 when she had me and I am really keen to find out why I was adopted.She actually lived in Walsall. I am now following up on Ancestry but I find you need newspaper reports as well to establish facts.Hope I haven't bored you tears but just noticed you were born in 1950 as well.
Best regards
Barry

HI, i was born at the Sorento maternity hospital in August 1970, then my birth mother and i went to The Grange a few days later, where we stayed for a week or so until i was taken to a foster home until my subsequent adoption. My birth mother was Barbara Irene Davies and my birth name was Jayne Elizabeth Davies. i have obtained my adoption file recently and am currently trying to build up a family tree. i know this is a long shot, but is there anyone on this forum who would have been at The Grange or Sorento around the time of my birth that may know anything? I have gone down the normal avenues but am drawing a blank at what happened to Barbara following my adoption. many thanks

Welcome to the forum Nooze.
If anyone can help would they reply to Nooze by private message as the reply will possibly
refer to living persons. Alberta
I have sent you a private message which you can access by clicking into the envelope at the top of the page.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Was the Grange functioning in July 1952?
Last year I had a message on Ancestry from a lady claiming she was helping a gentleman to find his birth mother. To cut a very long story short, all my info on my tree added up with his adoption information. Names, addresses etc, so I asked if he could do the ancestry DNA, he did and it came back a very strong match.
The pickle we are in, is this is my Nan that had this gentleman in 52 and we have know idea on how to approach it to her about it. We have know idea if she has spoken to my grandfather about it all, as it was a good three years before he was around on the seen.
I have written to him telling him all about our family and would like to keep in contact. What do you all think I should do with Nan? How do I bring the subject up? Does anyone had an experience like this?
I am also wondering if Nan was sent to the grange as it was only a 20min drive from where they were living at the time.
Is there anyone out there that was at The Grange in June July 1952?
Tread carefully like you are on eggshells. Contact your local Adoption Support Agency. They can advise you and put you in touch with someone who will help you. Don't ask your Nan.I will reply on a PM.

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
Hello Margy,
Just out of interest I was born in this hospital in Feb 1950 the 27th Feb to be precise.I only found out that I was adopted late in life I am now 69 my mother died in 2006.I recently tred to retrace my steps and I am meeting with An Adoption agency tomorrow. I havery no complaints since After adoption I was well looked after and have my own family now.I am still trying to find out why I was adopted and what my mother was like.It must have been have a very difficult time.

Hi,
I was born at the home on 8 December 1950 and like many others have no recollections of the place, but my adoptive parents gave me a good life and I lived with them until my marriage in 1974. I knew I was adopted from an early age but refrained from trying to trace my birth mother until after my adoptive mother's death. I only finally tracked her down after her death in 2012 and never got to know who my father was or any further info on my mum which I deeply regret. Amazingly my birth mum Winifred Gladys Buxcey lived and worked in Reading in Berkshire and came all the way to Birmingham to give birth. She was 27 at the time.

Hi,
I was born at the home on 8 December 1950 and like many others have no recollections of the place, but my adoptive parents gave me a good life and I lived with them until my marriage in 1974. I knew I was adopted from an early age but refrained from trying to trace my birth mother until after my adoptive mother's death. I only finally tracked her down after her death in 2012 and never got to know who my father was or any further info on my mum which I deeply regret. Amazingly my birth mum Winifred Gladys Buxcey lived and worked in Reading in Berkshire and came all the way to Birmingham to give birth. She was 27 at the time.
Hello Peter,
Your time line is very similar to mine .I was born on the 27th Feb 1950 I cannot remember anything about it.I was adopted shortly afterwards and my name changed to Barry Worrall.I didn't find out about the fact that I was adopted until late in life.I then like you decided to try and find more about my birth mother.My birth mother lived about 7 miles from.where I live now but she died in 2006.I have found a surviving relative in fact he is my moms brother ,my uncle,but said it was too late in life to follow up.I did achieve my goal which was a photo so I treasure this of course.I dont know who my original father was but my DNA indicates Eastern European. I dont think I will ever find out who my original father was.
Best regards
Barry

Thank you Nico and I am still awaiting my adoption records.As I say I don't think the family want to know for whatever reason ? I think I was a dark secret as it were.Thank you for your reply .

Best regards,
Barry

hi barry i wish you well with your adoption records...if the photo you mentioned is of your birth mom the yes treasure it...always hard to read adoption records but i do hope they will give you some sort of closure..

lyn

hi barry i wish you well with your adoption records...if the photo you mentioned is of your birth mom the yes treasure it...always hard to read adoption records but i do hope they will give you some sort of closure..

lyn
Barry mine opened Pandora's box. My friend used that expression to me. Some might say a can of worms! Nice worms mostly. I didn't find my adoption records hard to read, if you go in with an open unjudgemental attitude. some things did surprise me as the search went on, deeper and I thought why etc. but I had a wonderful life with my parents who adopted me. 15 years on I am still being contacted by birth relatives some very far removed. Some of the ones I tried to contact never replied, one did a long time after, but the ones that did made up for it.
I thought I was a dark secret too, and I was, but some family members did know they just kept it to themselves.
My 'new' uncle is a man of few words and he comes out with new things still. When we approached and met people I let it come from them. Didn't outstay our welcome. That they wanted to see us again was good. One thing just led to another. I still have some I have not met due to location, some not. With new technology I have spoken and seen some that way. People asks me what I feel like and I can't explain except to say it's like looking at a play acted out through a window and I'm in it and yet I am not.

Barry mine opened Pandora's box. My friend used that expression to me. Some might say a can of worms! Nice worms mostly. I didn't find my adoption records hard to read, if you go in with an open unjudgemental attitude. some things did surprise me as the search went on, deeper and I thought why etc. but I had a wonderful life with my parents who adopted me. 15 years on I am still being contacted by birth relatives some very far removed. Some of the ones I tried to contact never replied, one did a long time after, but the ones that did made up for it.
I thought I was a dark secret too, and I was, but some family members did know they just kept it to themselves.
My 'new' uncle is a man of few words and he comes out with new things still. When we approached and met people I let it come from them. Didn't outstay our welcome. That they wanted to see us again was good. One thing just led to another. I still have some I have not met due to location, some not. With new technology I have spoken and seen some that way. People asks me what I feel like and I can't explain except to say it's like looking at a play acted out through a window and I'm in it and yet I am not.
I spoke to my birth mother , she said tell you not to give up. I said I did.!

I was born in Lah-roi mother and baby home in Feb 1963. Anyone else out there who was born in the place or adopted from it around the same time? I've read all the previous threads but I'd be interested in knowing more if you think you can help.
Hiya, sorry I know this is years too late but my grandmother is looking for her son, he was born 14th Feb 1963 and I was wondering if you could help in any way? Many thanks

hello Hwright member swilko is no longer a member of the forum...he/she is only a guest so will not be able to reply to your post unless they rejoin again

lyn

Hi all, my dad was born at 23 Loveday street but states mother as living in 42 park hill. Reading through all these comments has now put a few facts straight for me. I have previously found my blood line via ancestry and Facebook. But is there anyway of getting adoption papers dating back to 1951. I’m curious to what information I would get from them. Thankyou x

If your Father is still alive he can apply for his adoption records. As far as i am aware you are not able to access them. You need to know the court from which the adoption was granted.

hi amibev211 and welcome...as cba has already said your dad can apply for his adoption and social service records..if he does go down that route it is always wise to do so with an open mind as to what information could be on those records such as a few years ago through this forum and quite by accident i made contact with a relative that i did not know existed and vice versa...cut a long story short he went through the process of gaining his adoption and social service records thinking he was an only child that was adopted at birth in 1953..it turned out he had at least 3 other siblings...one died during child birth..one was adopted at 8 months and the other one was placed in banardos homes at the age of 7 and ended up living in canada also the reports written about his birth mom was less than savory...this was a massive shock to him and took quite a long time for him to accept all this and to get his head around what he had found out...so my advise to anyone thinking of gaining their adoption records is please proceed with an open mind..

all the best

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: cba
I was born here in Oct 1967..adopted out after 4 months.. managed to locate my birth parents who actually married as soon as they could once my mother had reached 16. It’s been an emotional roller coaster meeting family and full blood siblings who I obviously never knew existed.. sadly this relationship failed mainly I think due to the grief and guilt attached to the adoption which clearly destroyed them at the time and they lived with this sadness and guilt for the 47 years until I located them. My birth mother unfortunately died of cancer last year and all the grief, anger and blame around that has been directed at me.. so now I’m most certainly not welcome. Luckily I am in touch with her sister who Was and is close to them.. again this ( me) has caused anger to be directed at her.. I’m quite sad by it all.. it’s such a waste and if I’m honest, I don’t quite get it.. all that hatred and anger and grief.. I have always known I was adopted and had a very nice upbringing, was always told by my adoptive parents that being adopted was special.. now, I’m not so sure..

Back