• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mother and Baby home Moseley

Hi all,
Interesting to read that some mums were able to leave the Grange with their baby. I had always assumed that I would have been taken away from my birth mum at the home.
But, last week I finally got my original birth certificate which showed that my birth was registered by my mum herself when I was 10 days old and it looks like I was handed to a foster mother a few days after that only a mile from her home and 10 miles from the Grange.
Was it usual for the birth mother to register the birth herself if she was still at the Grange or was that done for them?
Hi welcome please may I ask what year you was born at the Grange thankyou

Hi welcome please may I ask what year you was born at the Grange thankyou
Thanks Kizzykat.
October 1971. There's a couple of earlier posts I made about 9 months ago despite me showing as a "New Member"!
Edit: ignore that last bit - I've now been changed to a Brummie Babby :)

Last edited:
Hi all,
Interesting to read that some mums were able to leave the Grange with their baby. I had always assumed that I would have been taken away from my birth mum at the home.
But, last week I finally got my original birth certificate which showed that my birth was registered by my mum herself when I was 10 days old and it looks like I was handed to a foster mother a few days after that only a mile from her home and 10 miles from the Grange.
Was it usual for the birth mother to register the birth herself if she was still at the Grange or was that done for them?
Hello Mark

Yes I believe it is usual for birth mothers to register their babies. One thing they were allowed to do. In one of my previous posts I mentioned that one of the handful of decent people at that time was the registrar. He was kind and showed genuine empathy. The only other thing birth mothers could have any right to, was that the adopting parents would bring her child up in the faith she chose, (on paper any way.) The adoptive parents were advised they should change the child's given name when it was christened.

Hello,

For a few years now on and off I have been looking for a copy of Winifred, Her Story: Bibliography of Winifred Mary Hellmuth by J.G Hinton.
ISBN 13: 9780860714811

I have searched the internet, went to the library and even contacted the publishers to ask for the authors contact details. (still waiting on a reply)

have any of you managed to get the book? or have the authors details or even wanting to sell one you have may purchased?

I have a family member who was born at the mother and baby unit where Winifred worked and they are very interested in the book as they were adopted and want more insight what it was like for her birth mother there.

It will be much appreciated for any information regarding the bibliography.

Kindest Regards,

Rebekah

Have you tried wob.com? they often have out of print books. i managed to get a book that was out of print that had members of my family in it.
There is also abebooks.com.
You can check on line if they have the book. Another could be Oxfam books on line.

Hello,

For a few years now on and off I have been looking for a copy of Winifred, Her Story: Bibliography of Winifred Mary Hellmuth by J.G Hinton.
ISBN 13: 9780860714811

I have searched the internet, went to the library and even contacted the publishers to ask for the authors contact details. (still waiting on a reply)

have any of you managed to get the book? or have the authors details or even wanting to sell one you have may purchased?

I have a family member who was born at the mother and baby unit where Winifred worked and they are very interested in the book as they were adopted and want more insight what it was like for her birth mother there.

It will be much appreciated for any information regarding the bibliography.

Kindest Regards,

Rebekah
I have some info on the home itself. Plus my Birth Mother's account. However if you scroll back to Louisa's post in 2011 she advises how you might obtain a copy.

I have some info on the home itself. Plus my Birth Mother's account. However if you scroll back to Louisa's post in 2011 she advises how you might obtain a copy.
Thank you Nico! Any info on the home itself would also be amazing to know. I will have a look now, thnak you

Back