• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Mot

hello.i dont know what special cow dung you have there,but here it rots the wheels on the tractors. driving through it every day the bottom fell out my 4x4.the pee is not any better its acid.when my 3 year old fiesta had its first mot i had a look under it while it was on the ramp.what a mess,it looked like a 50 yr old all rusty.i had to pay a fortune to get it through pipes.exhaust,sill.and the wheel on the front would not come off.so a sledge hammer was used to free it from the shaft flange.now have a square spare wheel. by the way there is 2000 cows here now,

A suppremly better organised system, Cadeau and not open to the total abuse here, also I believe it is bi-annualy in Europe?
regards
paul

I remember when I was just about sixteen years old and worked in Browne's garage in Frank Street in Balsall Heath,just above Dare's brewery,and I used to do M.O.T.s ,this was in the early sixties, and almost every vehicle that came in for the test failed on the brakes or tyres.I used to drive them round the square with a Tapley meter on the passenger seat and usually before the first 100 yards they had failed the test so we didn't need to do any further tests.The tyres were nearly always bald and when we were asked to put new ones on it was a hell of a job to get the old ones off.I don't doubt that they had been on from when the cars were new:i.e.about thirty years old!!!!.They were usually rusted solid to the rim.Ah,good old days!But I bet some of them would be worth a fortune these days.The cars,not the tyres!!.

Last edited:
I have this totally pointless ability to remember odd bits I have seen on TV from back in the dark ages:stare: and one of them was when the MOT tests was first introduced. I have this vivid memory of Ernest Maroles the then Minister for Transport having his car tested and it failed:D from what I remember. I think the car was a Vauxhall of some sort......tell me Im right, or was it a sort of Nightmare!!

I use a garage out in the sticks that only does MOTs, only allowed to do a limited number per day, so you have to get in early. Doesnt do any repairs, so isnt tempted to try and up sell. Strikes me that any garage offering cut price MOTs is going to make up the difference elsewhere, you dont get owt for nowt.

If it needs doing, they say so, and fail it, if its will need doing eventually they advise you. If they were all run like that, and not allowed to quote for the the things that they find wrong, I reckon failures would be a lot less common.

MOTs are neccesary, otherwise some people would drive just about anything to save a few quid, but its just too tempting for garages to take advantage with the system as it is.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before; but you can now get an MOT done at some local councils transport-service depts.

As Col h says above, you don't get anything other than the MOT; no 'trying it on' for a few (?) extra bucks etc.

Back