• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

MOSELY ( or Mouseley, Mosly) - Rowland (or Roland) about 1845

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Hi,

Looking for 1891 census record for a Rowland Moseley (possibly recorded as Roland)born about 1845. Married to Mary Ann (born Leicester) and employed as a brass founder. Living in Birmingham.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
hi mr zippy ;
there was a moseley couple whom ran the grove hotel way back years ago whom i met ;
they sold up and went to live in south africa ;
if you speak to the rowland family whom bought the hotel from them he may be of help to you ;
the hotel is still operating on hagley rd today they are a nice family ;
i knew they was in touch with them or check out the electrol roll for the fifties at least or whom where they get the bussiness directory for there
names to cross check to see if its the same family i just cannot think of there christian names at the moment ;
best wishes astonian;;

ladylinda

master brummie
Don't know if you have the following?

name Rowland Moseley
gender Male
baptism/christening date 01 Sep 1845
baptism/christening place SAINT PHILLIPS,BIRMINGHAM,WARWICK,ENGLAND
birth date 08 Aug 1845
father's name Joseph Moseley
mother's name Ann

groom's name Rowland Moseley
groom's birth date 1846
groom's age 24
bride's name Mary Ann Barlow
bride's birth date 1851
bride's age 19
marriage date 25 Jun 1870
marriage place St. George, Birmingham, Warwick, England
groom's father's name Joseph Moseley
bride's father's name John Barlow

Mr Zippy

master brummie
hi mr zippy ;
there was a moseley couple whom ran the grove hotel way back years ago whom i met ;
they sold up and went to live in south africa ;
if you speak to the rowland family whom bought the hotel from them he may be of help to you ;
the hotel is still operating on hagley rd today they are a nice family ;
i knew they was in touch with them or check out the electrol roll for the fifties at least or whom where they get the bussiness directory for there
names to cross check to see if its the same family i just cannot think of there christian names at the moment ;
best wishes astonian;;
No Moseleys iin my line ran hotels. My nan was at one time landlady at the Mermaid in Sparkbrook, but that is about it!

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Thanks again ladylinda. I have some of this, but not all. The Reason I am curious about the 1891 census is to narrow the date range to search for Rowland's daughter Elizabeth's marriage.

ladylinda

master brummie
Well it wasn't the 1895 Moseley/Perry marriage,(although born the same year) because in 1901 Elizabeth's widowed mother Ann is living with them. They lived at 79, Camden Street, Birmingham.
It wasn't the 1904 Moseley/Small marriage, as that Elizabeth appears to have been born 1883.
The 1888 Moseley/Milner marriage, Elizabeth appears to have been born 1867.
Don't know if you have this?
name Elizabeth Moseley
gender Female
baptism/christening date 26 May 1872
baptism/christening place SAINT GEORGE,BIRMINGHAM,WARWICK,ENGLAND
birth date 04 May 1872
father's name Rowland Moseley
mother's name Mary Ann

Mr Zippy

master brummie
Lynne,

Belated reply on this. I was rather hoping the 1895 marriage was the one. Is it the 1901 Census which records her living with her widowed mother?

This rules it out as her mother died before in 1895. Freebmd does not reveal a death that matches and the only other possibility is an Eliza Moseley in 1890 in Aston, which is where they lived.