• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Village

Elmhurst was the former home of Dr J Wingfield.
These 2 maps might be of interest.

Attachments

• 1916 meteor site.JPG
    1916 meteor site.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 1937 meteor site.JPG
    1937 meteor site.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 12
Pity Janice, an important facility !

It’s nice to be able to put (some) words to the former sign on the wall “Avondale Bread, Head Office” perhaps ?

Viv.

Pity Janice, an important facility !

It’s nice to be able to put (some) words to the former sign on the wall “Avondale Bread, Head Office” perhaps ?

Viv.
You would not have wanted to use the old loos.
I think that sign is on the ghost signs thread. Will try to look.

Tesco Moseley Village
Have just read the post about Tesco on Coventry Road which reminded me that there used to be a Tesco in Moseley village. Not sure when it was built? It was there in the late 1970s. One
thing ‘s for certain its “modern” 1960s style caused an uproar at the time. Its concrete modern façade was totally out of keeping with the rest of the village.
1678646558153.png 1678646574434.png
It was a good shop with a wide range of stock, including a kosher section. It also had a clothing department upstairs. It closed quite suddenly and reopened as Kwik-Save. It then became Summerfields who took over the petrol station on the other side of the road.
1678646652740.png 1678646673687.png

And finally it became the Co-Op which is still open but how long for? In the meantime a Sainsburys Local opened next door which only lasted until last year.
1678646749591.png 1678646765015.png
When we moved to Moseley over 50 years ago, it was a very good shopping centre but slowly lost all the independent shops as well as the chain stores – no more Boots or W.H. Smiths, no more banks in fact very little now except pubs and food outlets. We now shop elsewhere, not by choice but out of necessity. Oh well, that’s progress…………………???

Marshall Brothers: dispensing chemists: Moseley Village

Henry Marshall lived on the Wake Green Estate [an area I am researching] at 56 St Agnes Road. He opened a chemists shop in Moseley Village [partly financed by his brother - hence Marshall Brothers]. The shop was at 128 Alcester Road. Have attached an early photograph of the shop about 1907.

The first photograph shows his shop. Above the shop at 128A in 1907 was Ellis's & Co., Manufacturing Chemist [co-incidence?], next door was Cecil Knight & Co., an upholsterer, followed by Richard Ouston a tobacconist. On the corner occupying 136 and 138 was J Shufflebotham & Co an upper class grocers catering for the well heeled of Moseley.
1697299815704.png
marshall bros c1905 02.jpgmarshall bros c1905 01 - Copy.jpg

Also attached is a close up of the shop and a picture of one of Henry Marshall's medicine bottles [courtesy of Ebay]. It states that he also had a shop in Sparkhill which is new to me. If anyone can trace the location or even a photograph I would be very pleased.

Henry & Edith Marshall are listed at 56 St Agnes Road on the 1922 electoral roll. Mysteriously the online rolls for that road seem to disappear till 1947, when Henry is still at the same house

Not sure where I copied this photograph from but it shows some shops in Moseley village about 1915 [?] looking towards the city centre. Also attached is a similar view from Street View to identify location. On the original you can just read the white sign to the left of the shops - "Perth Dye Works" [128A Alcester Road]. I also found this advert relating to the shop.
1700138578909.png
The Perth Dye Works was based in Perth, Scotland. It was founded by John Pullar in 1824 in Perth's Little Pomarium district and pioneered the first synthetic dyes. Pullars of Perth signs eventually appeared outside 7,552 agents across Britain including four in Birmingham.

It still amazes me how you can find out information about something like this over a hundred years later.

village 94 1915.jpg shops 02.png

Salisbury Buildings, Moseley Village
This is the large building curving around the corner by the traffic lights.

1708080869338.jpeg 1708084573022.jpeg
In the 19th century the site was the the terminus for the horse trams with a loop around the village green for return to city centre. In 1906 the site was cleared and the present building [Salisbury Buildings] was built with shops at street level and offices for the tram company above. Walwyns shoe shop was there in 1913 and lasted until after the war as did Moseley Garage at no 5/6. By 1950 the garage had been taken over by David S. Dunnett who took over the row of shops turning it into a large showroom. Phot below indicates that he was an Austin dealer at the time..

1708084694901.jpeg 1708084852216.jpeg

Salisbury Buildings later became a branch of the TSB bfore it was converted into a pub - The Drift, The Hogshead, The Junction and finally the Bohemian which didn't re-open after covid.

Henry & Edith Marshall are listed at 56 St Agnes Road on the 1922 electoral roll. Mysteriously the online rolls for that road seem to disappear till 1947, when Henry is still at the same house
I lived at 56 St Agnes Road from about 1963 until about 1970. My father was a barrister and head of chambers at Fountain Court in Steelhouse Lane. He bought the house from Brigadier Cecil Cariss, who ran a successful estate agency business in Kings Heath, and then moved to Cheltenham Spa around 1992. St Agnes Road was full of wonderful houses occupied by a lot of “professional” people in those days. My father’s solicitor lived next door and his accountant a few doors further up towards the church. It was a lovely house with a large rear garden. Very fond memories.

I lived at 56 St Agnes Road from about 1963 until about 1970. My father was a barrister and head of chambers at Fountain Court in Steelhouse Lane. He bought the house from Brigadier Cecil Cariss, who ran a successful estate agency business in Kings Heath, and then moved to Cheltenham Spa around 1992. St Agnes Road was full of wonderful houses occupied by a lot of “professional” people in those days. My father’s solicitor lived next door and his accountant a few doors further up towards the church. It was a lovely house with a large rear garden. Very fond memories.
Used to know Fred Parsons [another barrister] slightly who lived in St Agnes Rd - did he perhaps buy the house off your family? Have researched the Victorian/Edwardian history of the road and yes - interesting houses and some very interesting people living there. You may have already read this Moseley Society article but if not I am sure you will find it of interest:

Hi Superdad3. I was slightly circumspection about giving too much away on my first introduction to this forum (I’m not sure why) but your reply was just what I was hoping for. My father was indeed Frederick (“Fred”) Parsons, owner of 56 St Agnes Road, and I am younger son, David, and my elder brother is Marshall. My mother was Mary, Joyce, “Jay” who used to throw wonderful garden parties for all at my father’s chambers. So how is that you know my father and did we ever meet at the house or elsewhere?

Hi Superdad3. I was slightly circumspection about giving too much away on my first introduction to this forum (I’m not sure why) but your reply was just what I was hoping for. My father was indeed Frederick (“Fred”) Parsons, owner of 56 St Agnes Road, and I am younger son, David, and my elder brother is Marshall. My mother was Mary, Joyce, “Jay” who used to throw wonderful garden parties for all at my father’s chambers. So how is that you know my father and did we ever meet at the house or elsewhere?
Welcome to the Forum Team Parspeed, a truly interesting place and folks. Enjoy!

We worshipped at St Agnes Church together at a time when it was very much a local community church. Your father and I both served on the P.C.C. together and usually saw things the same way. I remember my wife lending Fred a high chair and playpen for visiting grandchildren [perhaps your children?]. Happy times on the Wake Green Estate [area around St Agnes Church] but must be all of 40+ years ago!

My parents were good friends of the Becks (David and Doreen?) as well as Laurie and Eileen Bevan (not sure if they were church goers) who lived I think either in Dyott Road or Greenhill Road. The high chair and play pen were for my children when we visited my parents. My father usually did the summer fete auctions at St Agnes church.

Back