• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley - Victorian & Edwardian buildings

Rosary_Boy

master brummie
Looking to go to Moseley to take a load of photos of Victorian and Edwardian buildings any ideas please ?

The Fighting Cocks pub. You could head up Queensbridge Road for buildings relating to the Cadbury's and Chamberlain's. Various massive town houses all over the suburb.

Want to keep this thread about the Moseley & Balsall Heath Institute.

The Victorian and Edwardian buildings tend to be in the Walk Green side of Moseley

Rosary Boy

Don't bypass Park Hill, Chantry Road, Salisbury Road, Moor Green Lane, Reddings Road, Amesbury Road, and of course Moseley Hall, Uffculme House, and Highbury Hall.

Rosary Boy

Don't bypass Park Hill, Chantry Road, Salisbury Road, Moor Green Lane, Reddings Road, Amesbury Road, and of course Moseley Hall, Uffculme House, and Highbury Hall.
thanks phil as I don't know Moseley that well so when am there wana try catch as many photos that day, plus phil are all these roads close to where the main road is with the pubs etc ?

Last edited:
thanks phil as I don't know Moseley that well so when am there wana try catch as many photos that day, plus phil are all these roads close to where the main road is with the pubs etc ?

All within a five or 10 minute walk of Moseley Village, except for Uffculme and Highbury Hall they are a little further toward Kings Heath.

All within a five or 10 minute walk of Moseley Village, except for Uffculme and Highbury Hall they are a little further toward Kings Heath.
going to walk from Digbeth tomorrow and see what Moseleys got to offer and Hopefully get some great photos !

You can get the no 50 bus along Moseley Road and Alcester Road if you want to, then walk. You could start from Highgate (near Highgate Park), cross over Highgate Middleway then head down to Balsall Heath.

Although they have been photographed many times you might like to get some snaps of the houses opposite Highgate Park, hopefully they have finished renovating them by now. Next you might like to catch Stratford House just inside Stratford place. Then if you keep on the old Moseley Road (don't get run over crossing Highgate Middleway) you will come to the Friends Institute next door to Athelstan House the old junior remand home. As you progress along Moseley Road on the corner of Highgate Road there is a row of disused Georgian houses which may have fell down by now, further along on the corner of Vincent Street a row of Victorian buildings. Then of course next comes the Library and Swimming baths which the Council have been trying to close for years across the road from there is the school of art with next door J H Butchers Transfers business premises and house. I suppose the last building of interest would be the old post office on the corner of Cromer Road before reaching the Balsall Heath Institute. Wear some comfy shoes.

This was in 2016 on Moseley Road, Highgate.

These buildings on the Moseley Road are derelict and boarded up at the top end (after crossing Highgate Middleway). Seen below in 2014.

great pictures mate I didn't go today because of the rain today etc so looking at the weather next week will be best now !

Although they have been photographed many times you might like to get some snaps of the houses opposite Highgate Park, hopefully they have finished renovating them by now. Next you might like to catch Stratford House just inside Stratford place. Then if you keep on the old Moseley Road (don't get run over crossing Highgate Middleway) you will come to the Friends Institute next door to Athelstan House the old junior remand home. As you progress along Moseley Road on the corner of Highgate Road there is a row of disused Georgian houses which may have fell down by now, further along on the corner of Vincent Street a row of Victorian buildings. Then of course next comes the Library and Swimming baths which the Council have been trying to close for years across the road from there is the school of art with next door J H Butchers Transfers business premises and house. I suppose the last building of interest would be the old post office on the corner of Cromer Road before reaching the Balsall Heath Institute. Wear some comfy shoes.
thanks phil for info again

great pictures mate I didn't go today because of the rain today etc so looking at the weather next week will be best now !

Thanks.

Best to go when it's dry and not when it's heavily raining all afternoon! Check the weather forecast before you do your Moseley walk.

Well had a good slow walk from Digbeth this morning took over 300 photos from Moseley arms to Moseley Village
was worth it some Great buildings in Moseley

Rosary Boy

post #16

Well for a start it's not Moseley it's Highgate which used to be classed as part of Balsall Heath. Moseley doesn't start until you reach Trafalgar Road and Moseley Road changes to Alcester Road.

The building is Stratford House which dates to 1601 it was built for Ambrose & Bridget Rotton it has had many uses since those lofty days and was recently damaged by a fire but it has been completely restored now.

Rosary Boy

post #16

Well for a start it's not Moseley it's Highgate which used to be classed as part of Balsall Heath. Moseley doesn't start until you reach Trafalgar Road and Moseley Road changes to Alcester Road.

The building is Stratford House which dates to 1601 it was built for Ambrose & Bridget Rotton it has had many uses since those lofty days and was recently damaged by a fire but it has been completely restored now.
Thanks mate for the info yeah its looks around 1600 or 1700 why are all these old buildings of ours being set on fire
its our History !

Thanks mate for the info yeah its looks around 1600 or 1700 why are all these old buildings of ours being set on fire
its our History !

Well the council or whoever owns it now in their infinite wisdom let it out to some people who used it as a Swingers sex club. I suppose some disgruntled local resident or even a dissatisfied member (no pun) decided it was time it disappeared.

I used to use your choice of second photo on occasion when it was called The Highgate Tavern as they were in the same darts league as our local and we played against them on occasion. Is it still open as it looks like it's closed there.

Stratford House in Highgate is a Grade II* listed building. Was a recent fire there years ago and it's been fully restored.

Listing below.

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101076165-stratford-house-nechells-ward#.XCE_Z83gqUl

Listing Text

STRATFORD PLACE
Highgate B11
Stratford House
(formerly listed under
Camp Hill, Bordesley)
SP 0885 NW 53/12 25.4.52
II*
Dated 1601 and built for Ambrose Rotton and his wife Bridget. Remarkable
survival of a 2 storey and attic timber framed and plastered manor house,
the ground floor partly refaced and underpinned in painted brick to support
jetty. Gabled cross wing to left and off centre gable and slightly smaller
gable to right, all slightly jettied on moulded brackets. Central 2 storey
gabled porch with first floor projecting on long angle brackets. Between
the cross wing and the porch either side of the modern brick window bay
the studding is exposed with a row of blocked wood mullion lights high
set on same level as the open one to sides of porch. The first floor
studding is braced in herring bone pattern and the gables have short curved
braces forming diamond patterns. Square headed moulded jamb opening to
porch with date on and initials on moulded cornice. The original battened
and studded door remains in situ with similar case to that of porch. Renewed
old tile roof with rebuilt clustered brick chimney stack, diamond shafted,
set on ridge by cross wing. Three light transomed metal casements with
leaded lights replacing C18 iron casements at time of restoration in the
195Os. Stratford House underwent considerable internal alteration in the
1820-30s when a rear brick built staircase wing and corridor were added.
Most of the door furniture is of this period but the 2 front rooms, flanking
the studded passage from the front door, retain chamfered ceiling beams
dividing the plastered ceiling, with deep cornice mouldings, into 2 compartments.
The left hand room retains 4 centred arch stone chimney piece and there is a
similar chimney piece, cased in a reeded early C19 surround, to the first
floor room of the cross wing. The back landing has exposed portion of the
original outside wall framing with a hammer-head wall post by the attic
stairs. The attics are plastered but the functions of some of the rafters
(partly renewed) and the framing of the gables are partially exposed.

Listing NGR: SP0732485648

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Your other photo of the Merry Maid pub near the no 50 bus route in Highgate. Corner of Upper Conybere Street with the Moseley Road.

Merry Maid is still open - it is now an Asian run pub serving superb curries - according to the taxi driver who drove us last week. He rated the food excellent but the atmosphere and decor less good.

Merry Maid is still open - it is now an Asian run pub serving superb curries - according to the taxi driver who drove us last week. He rated the food excellent but the atmosphere and decor less good.
Yeah its my pals local the Merry Maid

Moseley: Victorian & Edwardian Buildings:

Hi Rosary Boy - if you are still exploring Moseley & residential property don't overlook the St Agnes Conservation Area. St Agnes Road has some particularly fine houses.

Moseley: Victorian & Edwardian Buildings:

Hi Rosary Boy - if you are still exploring Moseley & residential property don't overlook the St Agnes Conservation Area. St Agnes Road has some particularly fine houses.
I spent a good 3 hrs up there on the day I took 300 photos in Digbeth, Highgate, Moseley well worth it thanks

Looking to go to Moseley to take a load of photos of Victorian and Edwardian buildings any ideas please ?
Two buildings which I would photograph would be the Moseley Art School and Moseley Swimming Baths, both nice pieces of old Moseley architecture. I went to MSA from 1951 to 1954.

Back