• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Road (High) School in the 1920's

Raphael

Brummie babby
Hi everyone
I am looking for information on the Moseley Road School in the 1920's.
I have just learnt the my mother was a prefect there, she was born in Kings Norton in 1907 and attended St Annes at the top of Bradford Street then went to the high school . I would imagine that she was there from 1918 until 1922 when she received her leaving certificate. I have a copy.
Could anyone advise me of the address of the school and if it is operating Please
I now live in Australia
Thank you
Raphael Sinicola

Hi everyone
I have just learnt the my mother was a prefect there, she was born in Kings Norton in 1907 and attended St Annes at the top of Bradford Street then went to the high school . I would imagine that she was there from 1918 until 1922 when she received her leaving certificate. I have a copy.
Could anyone advise me of the address of the school and if it is operating Please
I now live in Australia
Thank you
Raphael Sinicola
Raphael, could this be Moseley School of Art?

I think it has to be ;

None of the other "Moseley" schools seem to be on Moseley Road. They were Moseley Boys' County Grammar (so no girls), Moseley C of E Primary (so not a high school), Moseley County Modern (in College Road so not on or near Moseley Road), Moseley Road Country Primary School (so Moselely Road but a primary school) - that rules them out and leaves
1627736895501.png
There is a thread for that here

there was another school in moseley road, though do nor know it's name. in directories it is just marked as council school. Below is map c1916. It was still there in 1951

map c1916 showing school in moseley Road.jpg

Mike - I think that is the one as the bit I posted says Moseley Road and Upper Highgate Street.

Hi everyone
I now live in Australia
Thank you
Raphael Sinicola
Just a small point of interest. "Kings Norton" registration district covered quite a large area of Birmingham including Balsall Heath. I'm guessing looking at the schools you mention that your mother may well have been born there.

Thank you everyone for your input, would it help if I attached a copy of her leaving certificate
Raphael

Janice
Copy Attached Are you able to confirm where the head teacher actually taught??
Regards
Raphael

Attachments

• Moms Leaving Certificate - Copy.jpg
    Moms Leaving Certificate - Copy.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 22
At the moment unfortunately not, but if anyone has access to a 1921 Kelly's then we might be able to fnd out. I only use Ancestry and the directories on there jump from 1915 to 1940 so are no help.

Last edited:
Kellys does not seem to say anything, though in the list it seems Upper Highgate St school is listed as an elementary school,.. Is the name on the certificate E.A.Bennett. I ask bec ause I have a list of teachers in Birmingham schools born1856-94, which lists
an E.A Bennett, and gives her registration number. (06/00475). When library reopens properly possibly they will have some information about that

ScreenHunter 3047.jpg

I don't think it is the School of Art as there are head teachers listed for that unless Moseley Road had its own head. Also a suggestion the girls dept did not open until 1921.

Kellys does not seem to say anything, though in the list it seems Upper Highgate St school is listed as an elementary school,.. Is the name on the certificate E.A.Bennett. I ask bec ause I have a list of teachers in Birmingham schools born1856-94, which lists
an E.A Bennett, and gives her registration number. (06/00475). When library reopens properly possibly they will have some information about that

View attachment 159910
Yes the head teacher is listed as E A Bennett
Raphael

Mike - I think that is the one as the bit I posted says Moseley Road and Upper Highgate Street.
Hello there! I, too, have been very interested in the school in Highgate and I have just found your post and enquiry. In the mid 1950s we lived in a rented house on Moseley Road - at 229, directly opposite Athelstan House - and I have a clear memory of the playground that extended behind the school up to the road itself. On one occasion I clambered over the wall into the yard and found myself marooned since the railings were high and there wasn’t a gate. Eventually my father and big brother rescued me somehow. Now, of course, the houses are gone and all the community in the streets around have also vanished. I was, in the words of the time, a child in need of care and protection, I suppose, and often truanted from Tindal Street School. We played on the bomb sites and were often out of control! I remember the fire engines and their clanging bells, and the milk carts still pulled by ponies. And penny lollies from George’s shop or possibly a newsagent. And the smell of Hawley’s bakery. I still get emotional remembering going with my mother to get coke or coal in an old pram…do you by any chance have any photographs of the houses opposite the Friends Meeting House or the Children’s home? All good wishes, ALISTAIR PUGH

Last edited:
Back