• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Road Baths

Women's Bath Rooms. No longer in use.

Door with this sign: Notice: No money or tickets will be exchanged after leaving this window soap tablets 1d each

Bath

Forward coat of arms but damage to the windows.

Way out

Laundry Room with Dryer Racks. This is in the roof.

Steps goes up to above the Header Tank.

Dryer Racks

Outside there is new tiles and windows.

They have been, for decades. I noticed a leak under one of the boilers.
The Baths, the most unwelcoming place on earth when I went to Moseley School of art, dark .cold ,depressing COLD and that's the good part, Look much the same to me. BUT I was been forcessious with my comment, I know they got even more run down over the years. BUT the building is fantastic, a work of art, well worth saving. Great Photos as usual Ellwood, enjoyed them, many memories some even good.

its gladdens my heart to see photos like this...thanks ell...the photos i was allowed to take of the inside of nechells baths some years ago should be on the forum

lyn

Very good shots indeed! Couldn't help thinking about the terminology...Baths! The swimming facilities were also referred to as "baths", is this still the case? Since many of us back then had no indoor plumbing, the "baths" were the place to experience a weekly treat of sitting in a real tub. The picture of one of those tubs, complete with pull rope, very much took me back to those golden days in Aston, where, every Saturday morning, we would walk up Hospital St to the "stand alone washing baths" anyone recall those? You would rent a towel, which came with a bar of soap the size of an arrowroot biscuit, and if you could afford it, a bath cube...The attendant would put a few inches of hot water in the tub with his "key", and you could put in as much cold water as you pleased. Fortunately, my dad had a very good toolbox that afforded me the luxury of unlimited hot water.
Dave A

My dad often used the Washing Baths at Erdington. Had a go myself once. Super large bath about one third full of really hot water that you put your own cold water into. It was heaven.

The plughole was as big as a tea plate.

Very good shots indeed! Couldn't help thinking about the terminology...Baths! The swimming facilities were also referred to as "baths", is this still the case? Since many of us back then had no indoor plumbing, the "baths" were the place to experience a weekly treat of sitting in a real tub. The picture of one of those tubs, complete with pull rope, very much took me back to those golden days in Aston, where, every Saturday morning, we would walk up Hospital St to the "stand alone washing baths" anyone recall those? You would rent a towel, which came with a bar of soap the size of an arrowroot biscuit, and if you could afford it, a bath cube...The attendant would put a few inches of hot water in the tub with his "key", and you could put in as much cold water as you pleased. Fortunately, my dad had a very good toolbox that afforded me the luxury of unlimited hot water.
Dave A
Our house, on Moat Lane Yardley built after the war by Dare Builders, had a bath up stairs, with an electric heater for the water. But I do remember the baths at the Moseley Baths. Still my memories of the Moseley Baths, are that is was a cold and dank, unfriendly place.

Seeing Ells photos makes it very clear what an enormous task it must be to keep a place like this maintained. Hadn’t realised the extent of the place until now. Hats off to those keeping it alive.

Was about to ask why would you need drying racks. But Adaptoit answered the question - of course, towel hire !

Thanks Ell for a very good photographic record. Viv.

Thanks Viv. About to get the final lot up from the main pool. Watch this space. Scaffolding, a temporary exhibition, balcony seating area, old cubicles etc.

The old First Class Baths with no water, scaffolding and a temporary exhibition. Steps goes down to the pool floor.

The exhibit is called Specular Reflecular.

Hands art

From the balcony as far as I could go. Although later saw other photographers going round to the other side, but I wasn't sure.

More hands

In the pool

Next batch is up.

The door - Conservation work in association with Historic England.

Shallow End

Mens / boys cubicles. I may have used these back in the 1990s. But don't recall them being so small for changing, and I think it was two boys per cubicle. The women / girls would have been on the opposite side of the pool.

Up on the first floor

Before the others came up.

The tiling certainly does look original. However I never was in the Moseley Baths, only the one at Sparkhill, where there was an over-spill ledge which drained most of the water that hit the side walls. Occasionally a larger amount, through a dive, sent some of the pools contents onto the side walks. That ledge was quite convenient for non swimmers or those under instruction to cling to. I cannot see such a ledge in Elliot's great selection of photos, so maybe the tiling is not original?
I also remember that on leaving the changing cubicles (Sparkhill) you had to step into a small square area which contained some form of anti bacterial agent as a precaution against the spread of athletes foot. Then you could go to one of the pools. This was in just after WW2. There was a similar arrangement at Cadbury's pool - that was in 1953.

wonderful photos ell of a magnificent building...clearly more renovation to be done but i am sure it will be....thanks again..hats off to those who have persevered over the years to save this building...

lyn

I also remember that on leaving the changing cubicles (Sparkhill) you had to step into a small square area which contained some form of anti bacterial agent as a precaution against the spread of athletes foot. Then you could go to one of the pools. This was in just after WW2. There was a similar arrangement at Cadbury's pool - that was in 1953.

There is a new Sparkhill Pool now. The last one was demolished a few years ago.

Back