• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moseley Rd Baths Behind The Scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Birmingham Conservation Trust have issued an opportunity to see behind the scenes at Moseley Rd baths, arguably one of Birmingham's most beautifull buildings.
Behind the Scenes at Moseley Road Baths.JPG

A great opportunity to see this beautiful building but sadly I won't be over at that time, hopefully will get a look sometime in the future. I hope the lottery funding is granted to this very deserving project. I've only seen photos of the baths but that's enough to tell me how much of a gem they are.

Simon

yes its got character and the inside was great and the last time i was in that baths was in 1954 ;
even then some part of the swimming pool was tiles missing here and there
it should be great if they rebuild it back to the glory days

its good they are keeping this building i used to swim there in 50s.....and we used the wash baths next door as well for a shilling you got a bathful of hot water soap and a towel .i hope the funding stretches to be able to renovate this as well as swimming baths .recall the school swimming galas too...beautiful old buildings....and the library next door.....

Disgusting,typical of the backward thinking of this city council.

totally agree derek...since the early 60s when we started losing some of our finest buildings in the name of progress we hoped that lessons would be learned..i can now only see a very dim future for what we have left..in recent time this forum has protested and tried to save the old tram shed in witton which housed the aston manor transport museum...FAILED (although it is still standing empty)..during the past year on behalf of this forum i have tried to plead a case at the HS2 meetings to save the 17th century fox and grapes park st/freeman st from demolision...FAILED..it will be demolished.. carl chinn campained to save the listed island house building very near to the fox and grapes FAILED....us brummies do have a voice but we are never heard...

lyn

Last edited:
well lyn
What do you expect given the cost cutting of school sports and playing fields they have got to make a huge saving some where why not the old baths
yes its have its character and history but thats when it was in its hay day
you have to take in to consideration the now mentionioned area lump it like it
the area and the evoiroment as changed run down and different clientles if you get my drift it goes with certain other areas and envoironents of brum and let it be said like it or not our our english hearitage as gone we are now multi national
commutiy as we re told by our politiions and they do not do what we all loved to do and the baths are not being used buy any more just like te pubs are not used by our comwealh friends and they are slowly changing our way of thinking an the old communitity are moveing away and the older generation are dying its a fact of todays life and the way we was brought our generations of kids aint intrested in spending hours in these baths like when we was kids and our parents took us there
and finding out that when you got there they was choc o block and you had to wait for an hour before they would let out the baths we are now in a different culture so now i can see why they are closing it down and do not to spend on the money i feel sorry for the kids of tommorrow best wishes Astonian

It's not just the baths is it? There is a list of building in the Balsall Heath and surrounding are that are just being left to fall down. All these are within a short walk of Moseley Rd Baths.

Athelstan House Mosey Rd
Friends Institute (next Door)
Georgian houses opposite Highgate Park
Georgian Houses between Highgate Rd & Ombersley Rd
Art School Moseley Rd
Birmingham City Tram Depot & Institute next door Moseley Rd
Golden Lion Cannon Hill Park.

I'm sure there are many others that I haven't listed here.

hi phil;
yes you are quite correct i had forgotten about those other building
esecialy one springs to mind old atherstone house why oh why have they not done nothink about it and the others that house must be about fouty or fifty years standing empty to my knowledge do you recall its hey day it was a remand home for the kids before hangingit to a comuntity home and the staff let it run a mock the so called carrers [ students and there pot smoking sesions]
i guess its on the back burner phil another fifty years before widening rd
the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing do they ;
i think i do know thou but i rather not say as i would be excuted from the forum
best wishes Astonian;

well lyn
What do you expect given the cost cutting of school sports and playing fields they have got to make a huge saving some where why not the old baths
yes its have its character and history but thats when it was in its hay day
you have to take in to consideration the now mentionioned area lump it like it
the area and the evoiroment as changed run down and different clientles if you get my drift it goes with certain other areas and envoironents of brum and let it be said like it or not our our english hearitage as gone we are now multi national
commutiy as we re told by our politiions and they do not do what we all loved to do and the baths are not being used buy any more just like te pubs are not used by our comwealh friends and they are slowly changing our way of thinking an the old communitity are moveing away and the older generation are dying its a fact of todays life and the way we was brought our generations of kids aint intrested in spending hours in these baths like when we was kids and our parents took us there
and finding out that when you got there they was choc o block and you had to wait for an hour before they would let out the baths we are now in a different culture so now i can see why they are closing it down and do not to spend on the money i feel sorry for the kids of tommorrow best wishes Astonian

totally agree with you alan and phil i would imagine the list is endless..the golden lion thats in cannon hill park is such a shame..you probably know that some time ago there was talk of moving it back to the digbeth area..never going to happen...

lyn

I don't know if I am reading this correctly Lyn, but it seems to me that Birmingham Conservation Trust had promised £3 million toward the £8 million that is needed to get matching funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. I'm sure that public donation has raised a substantial amount but without the money promised by Birmingham Council the baths are almost sure to go. It looks like Birmingham would rather waste it's money on projects that limited to special groups and organisations instead of Birmingham as a whole. Millions are being spent on giving up to 75% grants for new shop fronts for private commercial shops all over Birmingham. How about diverting some of that money and let the shop owners pay for their own new shop frontages?

I don't know if I am reading this correctly Lyn, but it seems to me that Birmingham Conservation Trust had promised £3 million toward the £8 million that is needed to get matching funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. I'm sure that public donation has raised a substantial amount but without the money promised by Birmingham Council the baths are almost sure to go. It looks like Birmingham would rather waste it's money on projects that limited to special groups and organisations instead of Birmingham as a whole. Millions are being spent on giving up to 75% grants for new shop fronts for private commercial shops all over Birmingham. How about diverting some of that money and let the shop owners pay for their own new shop frontages?

just a snippet phil from the report i posted on post 5...quite simply the council have now taken a u turn in promising to apply for a lottery funded grant claiming they do not have the resourses to make a submission:mad:maybe if they did not keep going over budget on all these big projects they are coming out with they may then have the resourses needed to save birminghams heritage buildings..because once they are gone they are gone..

Birmingham City Council has confirmed the baths will close in 18 months time because it does not have the money to fund a renovation.
But it has now said that it won’t be making a renewed bid for Heritage Lottery Funds claiming it does not have the resources to prepare a submission..

Re-the mention of new shop fronts,I well remember the council spending hundreds of thousands on new shop fronts up the Coventry Rd some years,all to no cost to local business at the time,how true that is,I don't know,but nothing would surprise me when you see the makeup of the council whose individual priorites are in their own back yard.

derekw, It's quite true I think the present grants are limited to 75% and they are concentrating on the Witton Rd area of Aston now. What happened to the times that if your shop wasn't up to scratch they served an enforcement order on you and if you didn't carry out the remedial works they closed you down. In my opinion it is a disgrace and a waste of public money, these shop owners should be made to pay for their own renovations and the money that is saved should be used to save some of these old buildings.

Thread now closed as the opportunity to see behind the scenes has now passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back