• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Post Office

My Great Grand Aunt Elizabeth Johns used to be Post Mistress at Moseley Post Office she was there in 1881 and probably later. She died in 1916

Welcome Shelley. We hope you enjoy the Forum.

Some information about the Post Office on Alcester Road. There have been two. The first was 200 yards from the second P.O. (on the other side of the road). In 1906 it was agreed that a new P.O. was needed, but it took until May 1915 to move to new premises (hampered by a long lease). The opening of the second P.O. was reported in the Birmingham Gazette in May 1915 and sounds like an impressive building. Viv.

Attachments

• AA8C9B3C-B149-4AD0-AFF2-2D82311EA0E9.jpeg
    AA8C9B3C-B149-4AD0-AFF2-2D82311EA0E9.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 4
I worked at the public counter from July 1956 on leaving school as a 16 year old, until May 1958. I had the grand title of Postal and Telegraph Officer (Counter Clerk).

My Great Grand Aunt Elizabeth Johns used to be Post Mistress at Moseley Post Office she was there in 1881 and probably later. She died in 1916

hi shelly...maybe your gt aunt is on the group photo of staff that is on post 1

lyn

Back