• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Moseley Letter Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having had dealings with bloody minded councillors and planning officers there's a lot I can't agree with in the posts above, the post box could be moved aside at the house owners expense likewise the kerb dropping, an awful lot of fuss about a small thing whilst the council are ripping up the city and tearing down reasonable dwellings that could be brought up to scratch at little cost.
The fact that the house has been turned into multi occupation is probably what the locality needed if done to a decent standard, homes for youngsters are needed everywhere and they can't all afford to buy at the outset of their lives.

I suggest that before anyone else comments along these lines they go and look at the site first! Eric, most of your comments are not relevant.

The house is situated in a Conservation Area. The house is ocupied by a large family. The front garden is now a car park. A planning application to carry out essentially the work which has just been done was TURNED DOWN several years ago. The present work appears to have been carried out without any planning approval and is a mess. I think you are very unfair to criticize planning officers in this case. For further info check out BHam Planning Dept Website for 37 Oxford Road/Moseley

Signed by a
Local resident who cares about the St Agnes Conservation Area.

Thanks for confirming the house is not multi occupancy. I did check and most of the planning applications for 37 seem to have been refused for one reason or another.

I wonder if this pillar box was moved from the corner position in the early 70's when a lot of post boxes in Birmingham were moved from corner positions because it was deemed unsafe for the collection vehicles to park on the corner whilst emptying the mailbox.

There is no way that the owner of the property at the time would have allowed them to place the box on their property and the normal procedure would have been to move the box further down the road and reposition it on the kerbside. Obviously this land belonged to the Council so Post office obtained permission from them to use it, because I suspect they would have needed planning permission to move it and reposition it.

Phil - maps of the 1960s seem to show it right on the corner - I did wonder if it had been moved. A plan on the planning website seems to mark the area where the box now is as "common land" - I didn't pot it as it was quite hard to tell.

This is why I like the Greek system I mentioned in post #6. Perhaps I should explain a little further at the risk of going off topic.

We had a roof replaced last year, the builder applied for permission and quoted the price for the job and this work is taxed and the tax added to the price and we received the price including tax. Theoretically you can't paint your own house without paying the appropriate amount of tax, but minor home maintenance like this is ignored. If I build a garden shed out of bricks, this attracts tax. It I build it out of timber so that it is not permanent, it is not taxed. Where does this tax go, you might ask. Well it is the main source of funds for their national health service, from which everyone benefits.

So it you don't do things the proper way, you are cheating the national health service out of revenue. Secondly, when you come to sell the house, it is subject to an inspection by the same authorities, and if unauthorised work has been done and tax not paid, you will be subject to a heavy fine and not be allowed to sell the house until you have paid the fine. That seems pretty fair to me. I could go on, but it has wandered too far off topic already

Large houses in the UK converted into multiple occupation without permission and without the proper fire doors, etc., put in could be a danger to the occupants, and again this seems a sensible law which all should obey. I rest my case. :)

Maurice

I totally disagree. I have lived here for over 14 years and have been through several planning processes, and fines are enforceable and have been since 2011.

Maurice

Last edited:
The poster (johnsmithmoseley) is new to the Forum, Maurice and has only made the three posts in this thread. He probably doesn't realize your location.
It is worth mentioning that many here do not live in Birmingham, some not in the UK. I have never lived in the city but am granted honorary 'Brummieship' here. :D

What is Adverse Possession?
Adverse Possession means someone occupying land belonging to someone else, without permission. If someone does this continuously for a number of years (normally 10 or 12 years) then, in certain circumstances, the land may become theirs.

he might have maintain'd that piece of land for 10 years.so now he is claiming it.

What is Adverse Possession?
Adverse Possession means someone occupying land belonging to someone else, without permission. If someone does this continuously for a number of years (normally 10 or 12 years) then, in certain circumstances, the land may become theirs.

he might have maintain'd that piece of land for 10 years.so now he is claiming it.
The rules on adverse possession are quite complicated, you can't simply claim land that you've been occupying for twelve years if the owner has during that twelve years told you that he/she owns it and has just let you continue to use it, that then is not 'adverse' and you will have to start the twelve years again every time you're reminded that it belongs to someone else.

Why has the council offered them a chance to apply for planning? It should be enforced already given planning failed in 2009.

The council will offer the opportunity of a retrospective planning application in cases of breaches of planning rules. This then gives interested parties an opportunity to lodge objections.

The planning committee will then convene and both side of the argument will be heard. The committee may grant retrospective planning permission or issue an informant notice.

So, you need to watch out for the planning committee meet and get your objections in. The St Agnes Road resident association are very good at making objections etc. It may be worth taking to them to get some advice on the wording of an objection as objection are only considered on points of planning.

does anyone have an update on this issue yet as i cant find anything...seems to be taking a long time to resolve...thanks

lyn

Haven't heard anything but if it has gone to retrospective planning then it could take ages. Planning committee works slowly.

Application for double "garage" submitted on 13 March 2019. This is the fourth planning application for side extension/garage............ Previous applications turned down or withdrawn. The current planning application doesn't say anything about drive/gates/pavement crossing etc. These were also previously turned down and as mentioned on the Forum have now been installed without permission.

Words fail me! Sadly, I no longer trust the Birmingham Planners.

has anyone heard if this issue has been resolved yet...i cant find anything...

lyn

hi folks has anyone any updates about this post box...ie is it still there?

thanks..

lyn

Just been on the planning site and it looks as if he has re-applied for planning permission for the garage on the side. It is date 9/03/2020 and is under applications awaiting decision. No mention of the pillar box.

hi folks has anyone any updates about this post box...ie is it still there?

thanks..

lyn

I walked up Oxford Road recently but didn't see the post box. Only noticed the primary school. Walked up from Kings Heath from Billesley Lane. This was in January 2020.

Ell - don't forget the post box is round the corner in School Road so perhaps you missed it. Unless of course it has been moved!!
It was about where the red dot is
1584539171517.png

Last edited:
I would have crossed over that junction, and only got photos of Moseley C of E Primary School two months ago, so didn't see or look out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back